B4V repair saga

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
While at the body shop, the fuel pump started leaking and eventually could not be primed. This meant that the car could not started to be driven around the shop.
Moved the car back to my driveway, and called "local guru" who diagnosed the problem. And since we have better accessibility, we'll also re-build the alternator, replace coolant hoses under the pump, and replace the fuel hoses.

Also ordered 3A0199171A new OEM Cross Member to replace the rusty one on the car.

So far:
1. Replaced the fuel temperature sensor, and the fuel pump top cover seal.
2. Replaced the fuel pump head O-ring.
3. Replaced the fuel pump head middle seal.
4. Replaced fuel pump four bolts.

Last edited:

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
That bracket that is destroyed....the one that is under the driver's side headlight, I have one of those if you want it. It's black and it is the same style- removable. Some in '97 were spot welded on.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I'm surprised that the front lower radiator support is still available new.

On a side note the lower radiator hose locator is sitting below the hose, it looks like it's been detached, don't let that fall out and get lost, only 4 cylinder B4 cars had those.

Steve

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
You may want to do yourself a favor and remove the plastic collet on the IP wiring shield since it's a known chafe point. The black/white wire goes to the stop solenoid, which will shut the car down when broken.

Here is what happens in a short amount of time:

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
THANK YOU I'll take you up on your offer -- please check your PM and email and let me know cost.

That bracket that is destroyed....the one that is under the driver's side headlight, I have one of those if you want it. It's black and it is the same style- removable. Some in '97 were spot welded on.

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Today we had nice weather and the Blue 96 Passat wagon (still sitting in my driveway) received the following:
- replaced upper and lower radiator hoses, [Cascade German silicone ]
- replaced both water pump 3-way hoses, [ Rein Automotive]
- replaced oil cooler seal, [OEM VW]
- replaced cylinder head coolant flange o-ring, [ OEM VW ]

Recent work included:
- replaced fuel pump head viton o-ring
- replaced the top cover seal and fuel temperature sensor. Also primed the fuel system and tested the engine to make sure it starts and runs normally.

We're taking advantage of easy access to the engine compartment with radiator and front bumper etc out of the way, to proactively and on a preventive basis replace hard to reach parts.

Last edited: