Looking to refresh suspension and steering

locotumbler

TDI
1999.5 jetta made 11/99
I am looking at doing some updating to the my 2000 Jetta TDi.
looking at getting
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_IV--1.8T/Suspension/Refresh_Kits/ES259954/

and

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_IV--1.8T/Suspension/Shocks/ES2631474/

not looking for performance type stuff and just looking to last a few more years before i am able to upgrade. I have heard some discussion in here about sway bar replacement/rubber repair. any help or opinions will be graciously accepted.

Looking at this i see i will be getting a lot of duplicate parts. Would it be better to just get the suspension refresh kit first? not even sure the struts and shocks are bad

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
Based on the two links, I didn't really see many duplicate parts, one had things shock/strut related, one was steering related.

I just bought parts to refresh the 00 Beetle, so my list could be pretty close. I took the approach, if it has to come off the car, I want my mechanic to be able to re-assemble things without having to fish one part out of the middle of a bunch of things getting replaced, so I bought more than absolutely needed.

Front struts
Rear shocks
Front and rear mounts (just because they are inexpensive to get new)
Front and rear bump stops (rubber probably worn out)
New bolts and hardware for struts and shock install (just because)
Strut and shock dust covers (mine were cracked/worthless)
2x stabilizer links (it's going to be off the car, put a new one back on)
2x complete tie rods (quicker)
2x ball joints and locking plates (unknown state, but it's in the path of things getting swapped)
2x lower control arm bushings front and rear (clearly worn out last time I looked)
2x steering boots (one was cracked, plus replacing tie rods anyway)
sway bar bushings (got that thump sound says they are gone)
2x axles (cheaper than rebuild kits and labor to get them pre-assembled)
I already had the wheel bearings done last spring, one was toast, but since everything is off anyway, getting them done makes sense.

Hope that helps.

TJD_TDI

TDI
2012 JSW
I would just caution that the ECS kits tend to use cheaper parts. If you want OEM-equivalent quality, you would be better off buying the pieces separately. You can still get aftermarket, but need to look for reputable/well-reviewed manufacturers, like TRW and Lemfoerder.