Why are my EGT's so high??

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
Well, today I missed the muffler shop once again and decided to tackle this problem myself. The muffler shop I was going to have it done at wanted to charge me 60 bones to have it done, so not a bad thing I missed them.

I jacked the car up as far as I could using a combination of stands, boards, etc., and took my dremel/hacksaw to the exhaust about 3 inches back from the cat. Once separated, I took an extra long spade drill bit and proceed to drill the inside of the cat to death. It took a good bit of persistance, but I eventually got all the innards out. Once I'd got it all cleared out, I used a coupling and a clamp to get the two ends back together.

The Result?

A little bit better, but certainly not the drastic improvement I was looking for. And on top of that, I still can't really hear the turno sing like I was hoping. Sooo, kinda fun project, but a bit of a waste of time. Tomorrow I'll be looking into the timing to see if that could be the culprit, followed by getting a retune with less fuel...

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
MojaveGolf said:
The Result?

A little bit better, but certainly not the drastic improvement I was looking for. And on top of that, I still can't really hear the turno sing like I was hoping. Sooo, kinda fun project, but a bit of a waste of time.
:rolleyes: Catalytic converters and engine performance are not mutually exclusive.
A high flow cat would probably still flow better than the turbulent mess you have in there now.
Did you leave all the guts in the exhaust pipe?

Please leave the cats on, folks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
I fully realize they're not mutually exclusive, this was an attempt to figure out why my EGT's were climbing so high so quick. A high flow cat will likely be part of my new exhaust when I can afford it. And no...the guts are not in the exhaust pipe...that would just be dumb..;)

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
On another note, I recieved a new tune with less fuel from kerma on the weekend, and can still get the EGT's up real quick. My latest thought?....there could very well be a bad injector which is just dumping fuel recklessly into a cylinder....I think it's just about time to go with some real Bosio's and call it quits on the chinese business front.... I can't think of any reason other than that now...anyone?

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Have you checked the injection timing yet? After ruling that out, I would talk to your tuner... Something is vastly wrong. If you load your stock tune back on your car how do the EGT's react?

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
To be honest, I'm not really sure how to check the injection timing...I've looked at group 4 in VAG, but not really sure how to read it....if there's a thread on this, or explanation can someone provide the link?

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
Not sure how the EGT's ar stock tune wise either...can't believe I haven't tried that yet....tonight I will....and hopefully check the timing too...

KROUT

persona non grata
Do you have vag-com? If so you log into engines, then select basic settings, type in 00 in the block then click on timing graph in the bottom right corner. It should be between the middle and upper line. On a modded car I always set it at 70. TRhe number readings will be in the bottom part of the screen.
If the timing is not between the middle and upper line you will need to make a mechnical adjustment at the pump. All the how too info is here.

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
Thanks Krout. I was just on the Vag site and got the info on how to do a timing check. I'm just waiting on my car to return then will be out in the driveway checking. I'll post my results later.

KROUT

persona non grata
Also check measuring block 4 in the second block over tell us what the reading are. Actual timing is what we are looking for. It should be between 2 to 3 btdc.

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
Ok, I've finally managed to check my timing and got a temp of 139 and timing of 57, which is well within spec. Also, in measuring block 04 I got A specified value of 0.2 BTDC and Actual of 1.3 BTDC. I raised the value in adaptation, from 32768 up to 32900, and the timing stayed almost the same at temp of 138 and timing of 57, but in block 04 Specified went to 1.5 BTDC and actual jumped to 1.7 BTDC.

After raising the values, I took it for a quick spin and it didn't seem to do anything to the EGT's. I've also now tried loading the stock tune back on, and it didn't seem to make any difference either.

Am I now able to say that it could be a bad injector(s) nozzle with a little more certainty, or are there other things I should be looking into? I really appreciate all the feedback I've gotten on this guys!

KROUT

persona non grata
This may not do anything for egt's. But I would advance the pump to 65- 70. Then take the vag-com adaptaion to read 3-4 btdc. If you have alot of smoke this will clear some of it up.

Look at the injectors in block 13 are the what are the readings. A bad injector can cause a miss or just a little extra smoke.

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
ok, injector readings are 0.60 0.02 -0.85 0.20 I've adavanced the timing so that actual is now around 3.5 BTDC. Temps seem to be rising just about the same as always. This is starting to drive me nuts. I have ordered some bosio 764's though, so hopefully I will see some difference when I get them in. I've advanced the timing as much as I can in Vag without getting the actual over 4.0 BTDC. TDITiming reports my timing as 135/55 right now.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
This is all about air/fuel. I did some WOT runs last night to see if I could use the PP502s on the track and saw about 1500 at 110 in 4th after a WOT pull from 2000 RPM. That was during a pretty cool evening so I think the PP520s are going to be the prudent choice for the track. I can't seem to get the power to the ground anyway.

Don't put in 764s. Put in 520s or 357s, or your stock nozzles and see what happens. Then you'll know what you're working with.

KROUT

persona non grata
If the pump timing is at 55 advance it more to 65 - 70. This is better for a tuned car. It probably wont make any difference in egt but will help with smoke.

killrbee

TDI
2012 JSW, DSG
all this out of the box thinking is great. Have you tried replacing your egt gauge AND sensor?

EddyKilowatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 5M
Put the EGT sensor in your home oven with a decent oven thermometer. Obviously you won't be able to check it at 1600F (unless you know someone with a pottery kiln), but you can check it at 250F and 450F for a basic sanity evaluation.

Eddy

/plus you can bake a pizza while its at 450F, and the world will seem like a better place after pizza

Last edited: