Towing a TDI on Dolly

Shagphil

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportswagen
I have a 2013 TDI Jetta Sportswagen which I wish to tow behind my RV. The dolly I have now does not have brakes, but the "Plate" moves as you are turning. The dolly I want has breaks, but does not have the "turning plate" and they state that you "leave the steering wheel unlocked". With the DSG transmission if you put it in park the steering wheel automatically locks. However it seems that if you leave it in "neutral" it will not lock. Any experience/comments/thoughts on how I should proceed or should I get a dolly with the pivoting plate and brakes?

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
I bought an aluminum trailer and drive my car onto it. No wear. Less risk of blowout on towed vehicle and less risk of damage to RV. That is what I did. The trailer is a bit more hassle to store but more and more campgrounds are accommodating us with drive thrus and storage for trailer. Loading on and off just for one night camping is a chore. for a few nights....worth it. don't even know it's back there.

Revpeach

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
The other alternative is to get a dolly that doesn't have a moving plate but the dolly wheels steer, like a master tow. I have one of these steering wheel units and you leave the car in park with the steering wheel locked. (In my case because I have a 6MT, I leave it in first.)