considering getting my first tdi

joeykh

TDI
none
Hi, I'm looking at trading for a 2001 Jetta. It's a 5 speed with 253k miles. I'm asking $2800 for the vehicle I'm trading and I'm just wanting some input if it may be a wise choice to get it, what I should check out mechanically on it etc. I know some of the typical interior Issues.

tdi-eyed

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta Wagon
things to check: windows clips and regulators go bad (windows don't roll up and down well or not at all), door lock actuator (door doesn't lock), wheel bearings (hub/wheel play), suspension (strut mounts, control arm bushings, tie rods, ball joints worn), fuel pump leaking or long start, noisy lifters, flywheel chatter, oil leak from turbo and/or intercooler, clogged intake/egr, engine leaks (esp from head), excessive smoke upon cold start or hard acceleration, low power/limp mode under load, always have codes checked with vagcom. Not exhaustive, but some of the basics. Good luck.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
things to check: windows clips and regulators go bad (windows don't roll up and down well or not at all), door lock actuator (door doesn't lock), wheel bearings (hub/wheel play), suspension (strut mounts, control arm bushings, tie rods, ball joints worn), fuel pump leaking or long start, noisy lifters, flywheel chatter, oil leak from turbo and/or intercooler, clogged intake/egr, engine leaks (esp from head), excessive smoke upon cold start or hard acceleration, low power/limp mode under load, always have codes checked with vagcom. Not exhaustive, but some of the basics. Good luck.
LOL...many of these items are common to any improperly maintained 14 y.o. car with 250K miles!

tdi-eyed

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta Wagon
But, they are good things to check for, no? None of them are deal breakers, per se, but would be good to look for.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
...he probably sharted half-way through your list if he was adding up repair costs as he was going along then realized repairs would exceed the sale price of the car lol

joeykh

TDI
none
Thanks for the replies. Hes supposed to get the tb changed then supposed to check out the car.