has anyone gotten rid of all rattes?

rynmls

Veteran Member
I was just wondering, but has anyone gotten rid of all of the interior rattles in their golf or jetta? Mine likes to buzz from around the glovebox, dash, gearknob, package tray, rear panels and just about everywhere else. What where some of the things that everyone else has done to fix some of the rattles? Also does anyone have the part number for the clips that hold the rear panels on?

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Only way I know of is to sell the car...

I have harped on the topic numerous other times.

I managed to silence a couple of the most constant annoyances (plungers for rear door locks on both sides) with a couple of wraps of electrical tape where the rod passes through a channel in the foam inside the door panels.

I have found that the rear ashtray (the red part) can get noisy at times so I yanked it.

But to my dismay there are a number of rattles in the dash area that come and go depending on temperature and road texture/speed.

Someday I'll buy a manual and see whether I want to tear into the dash to try to track them down. It does not look like a fun job.

I think the number of rattles in these cars is pretty pathetic considering VW's upscale longings. When the average Avis rental car (GM, Hyundai even Daewoo!) has fewer rattles than a $20,000+ Jetta, it indicates to me that VW still has some work to do.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
yeah, i get two rattles, one grom the glove box are and one from the passenger door, lower. I tried, and i moved some things around and it got rid of it somewhat, but at low rpm's with lots of diesel shake, and with some heavy handed stereo bass, things do rattle....it ticks me off, but its better than any other car i have been in. The thing is, you CAN HEAR the rattles, my other cars (fords caddy and volvo) aren't quite enough that you could hear a rattle....

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
12.5 K miles since Aug/02 - the only rattles that I've ever had was a quarter in the front ashtray and when an empty coke can is in the cup holder. Of course, us grey haired, broken down, old retired guys don't hear so well but it sure pleases me so far.
Bruce Henderson, Wallace NC

[ January 02, 2003, 22:28: Message edited by: mrGutWrench ]

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta wht 5spd / 09 Sport Wagon TDI 6sp
i have a rattle in the center of the dash. It is only present during idle rpms. It is quite annoying, but there is no telling what it would take to track it down. I would probably only create more rattles

DCD

I got rid of my glove box reverberation by
putting some clear silicone rubber at the top next to the two rubber stops. I put it on at night and by morning it was cured. The two factory rubber stops were not big enough to keep the glove box door tight and it would reverberate about 1800 rpms. The silicone rubber fixed that problem.

stropp

TDI
jetta, 2003, silver SOLD!!!
does anyone know how to fix the dash rattle? seems to come from the center vent but I do not see how to remove it... and how do you pull a door panel? both my rear doors buzz and stop when I touch the lock button. I was thinking of using graphite...

jpm166

TDI
2 door Golf TDI, 2001, Black
GREAT TOPIC

Mainly because I thaught I was the only one, its nice to have a support group. Considering TDI owners are proabaly the most ainl retentive groups anywhere its funny to here some of the things that drive other people bonkers.

1. Both left and right door latches squeeked evreytime I hit the brakes or axcelorated. I tried every oil and grease wich only worked for a day. Then I tried stick wax this lasted for about a month. Then I tried an oil caled Zoot, it is used to oil fan and heater motors. This is the only thing that has realy worked.

2. Dashboard creeks on driver side at front window. Stuffed 4 or 5 shop rags between dashboard and front window with a long screwdriver. Creeks came back but only below 32 F.

3. Passenger side vanity mirror cover rattled to the point where I shattered the mirror one day from bending the visor so hard tring silince it.

Please no more replys that "my car has no squeeks or rattles". Start your own topic! Don't insult the rest of us that do!

pierre

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf gls
I feel your pain I have a dash rattle and the plastic carpet top, rattles by the hatch.
I have a 02 Golf. I thought new cars were not supposed to rattle.!!!!

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M White
Aaah! The beloved dash rattle...

I bought my 02 new and it was SOOO quiet that I really loved it!

Then I got the center dash rattle... I took it to the dealer twice and they FIXED it! It took a little persuasion, but what it ended up being was the defroster vent that they HAVE A SERVICE BULLETIN for and it talks about putting felt in the vent...

The first time they tried to fix it it got a little better, and then the 2nd it went away.

SOOOOO - if you are under warranty, it's worth a shot to bug VW about it, otherwise check out the center defroster vent.

spongebob

Veteran Member
TDI
Not anymore.
Our TDI just spent 3 days at the dealer for a dash rattle (and center armrest replacement).

I haven't driven it yet to see if the rattle is gone. Dealer says it's gone (of course) and wife says it's gone, but she didn't really notice it in the first place.

My '01 VW doesn't rattle, but the '02 does. I think some are just put together better, it's like roll the dice and see what you get.

BradleyRas

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Silver Arrow
My 00 Jetta TDI was made in mexico. My rattles started early on, I took my car in and asked to VW service mgr to check the air vents. Of course he didn't hear anything. Over time I complained the rattle was getting worse (maximum noise at 2100rpm or 40 mph, whichever comes first), they told me they couldn't find it. After my warranty expired, they were able to hear it. It's as if they were wearing earplugs until my warranty expired... two weeks before a trip to Florida from PA...I couldn't stand the noise. And magically VW could hear it.
$241.15 to tighten a "loose bolt in right front fender to radiator support.
My cupholders, seatbelt clips, door panels and my teeth still rattle.

WolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
I had a rattle/resonance that seemed to come from the center of the dash. However, when sitting in the passenger seat, it sounded like it was outside the car. Before ripping into the dash, I checked the engine bay and exhaust heat shield. It was the metal backed insulation on the firewall behind the turbo. It was vibrating against the exhaust heat shield.
The fix: I bent the heat shield slightly to allow some extra clearance. I hope this helps. Now it is quiet enough to hear the right front speaker rattle.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Check the side pockets, I had a pen that would rattle in mine.

Sam '02 Wagon

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
37K miles here and the only the creaking doors on rough roads bug me. Ohh yeah also the wind noise at 85+ mph.

My vehicle before this one was a very heavily off-roaded Toyota 4X4. Creaks and rattles were the norm after 230K miles. It still was alot queiter then my friend's early 90's Chevy pickup.