Maintenance schedule

Netdewt

TDI
mkv jsw tdi dsg
We committed to buy a 2009 CPO TDI DSG Jetta Sportwagen last night. The dealer did not know specifically the maintenance schedule for the car. Where could I find this?

I have read that the DSG needs a service every 40k miles. Details?

Thanks!

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Are you purchasing from a VW dealer? If so that would be a big concern/worry if they didn't know the maintenance schedule for it. OR you are saying the dealer doesn't know what maintenance was done on the car? If you are buying from a non-VW dealer, then I would first get a Carfax for the car. Find out how many times the car was titled (how many owners). Sometimes you can get lucky and find owner info in the glove box with the manual. Business cards from the original dealership can help as well. Get as much info about the car as possible BEFORE you buy it. These are great cars! Just buyng used can be scary if you don't know the history.

Otherwise...
- oil change every 10K miles
- DSG fluid/filter change every 40K miles
- HPFP (when it implodes on you for putting in "bad fuel") :eek:

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Exactly, how does it become CPO w/o a service history? At one time part of being a CPO was you were to be given the service records (along with the 112pt inspection & 3 months Sirrus).

My question - if they don't the service schedule how exactly did they perform the 112pt inspection? (they don't even know what should have been done)

Yes, the DSG needs service every 40K - between $300 & $800.

The service schedule is in the owners manual, that should also be in the car (required for CPO I believe).

Nutshell version

10K = oil & filter change, rotate tires, check vehicle
20K = 10K + fuel filter, cabin filter, air filter
40K = 20K + DSG service
120K = 40K + timing belt

10K's are in the $300 range (my area), dealer quoted me $895 for the 20K, dealer quoted me $395 for the DSG service.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
We committed to buy a 2009 CPO TDI DSG Jetta Sportwagen last night. The dealer did not know specifically the maintenance schedule for the car. Where could I find this?

I have read that the DSG needs a service every 40k miles. Details?

Thanks!
The dealer, or the sales rep you're dealing with? If in fact the DEALER doesn't know the maintenance schedule, I would proceed very cautiously.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
The dealer did not know specifically the maintenance schedule for the car.
Negotiating point. If there is no history of the major service points for a vehicle, you should press the dealer for a discount to have that service performed, especially the DSG service if over 40K mi, and the Fuel Filter if over 20K mi. Agree to nothing less.

Also, a CPO car? How is that even possible without maintenance history?

Netdewt

TDI
mkv jsw tdi dsg
Sorry, not what I meant. It has the records, but he was not aware of whether the 40K service had been done yet, or what was necessary on a TDI off the top of his head. I didn't know the specifics, so I sounded stupid. I'm finding that out today. Yes, it is a CPO car, so I trusted them a bit, and to their credit the car barely spent any time on the lot (6 hours or so). Haha.

Netdewt

TDI
mkv jsw tdi dsg
Nutshell version

40K = 20K + DSG service
120K = 40K + timing belt

10K's are in the $300 range (my area), dealer quoted me $895 for the 20K, dealer quoted me $395 for the DSG service.
This is what I was looking for, thanks!

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
This is what I was looking for, thanks!
As I said that's the very short version, officially there's a who bunch of "check" items - pretty much check over the entire vehicle...............which should have been done for the 112pt CPO inspection.

FWIW - VWoA is decent for this one, they will contact a dealer if you feel anything is amiss. It's all about the $$$ - VW is on the hook for the additional warranty = they have an interest in make sure it meets their guidelines.

Netdewt

TDI
mkv jsw tdi dsg
A CPO car SHOULD have the 40K service done, right?

This dealership is the one all the local enthusiasts go to, so I assume that usually they are pretty good.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This info can be found in the manual, every new car comes with one, and every CPO car SHOULD have one regardless.

Netdewt

TDI
mkv jsw tdi dsg
It is at 47k, and they did not hesitate to reassure me that it has been done or will be done before I pick up once I gave them the specifics. Thank you.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It is at 47k, and they did not hesitate to reassure me that it has been done or will be done before I pick up once I gave them the specifics. Thank you.
This makes me very uncomfortable. You shouldn't need to tell them what needs to be done. They should already have done everything required for a CPO sale.

Netdewt

TDI
mkv jsw tdi dsg
They may have. They just aren't being very quick about communicating with me. I do think it's odd that they don't know about the maintenance intervals, but what am I supposed to do about it. All I can do is ask until I get answers.

I have not actually signed the purchase agreement yet, just put down money to hold the car. That will be tomorrow night. They needed some time to buff out some scratches on the rear bumper I asked them to take care of. I have my list of things to verify before I drive the car home.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think you're lucky you came here first. You've now got enough information that it will be hard for them to pull one over on you.

Good luck to you. Hopefully all this discussion will help you make the right decision, and you'll have as much fun with your "new" car as many of us here are having!

wild03

Veteran Member
TDI
:(
I think you're lucky you came here first. You've now got enough information that it will be hard for them to pull one over on you.

Good luck to you. Hopefully all this discussion will help you make the right decision, and you'll have as much fun with your "new" car as many of us here are having!
Technically, is there any way to verify that they did the maintenance? IF the salesman sounds clueless, isn't a simple "oh so sorry, I just talked to the service manager, Yes DSG was serviced, anything else you want me to ask the service manager?" from him enough to excuse his lack of knowledge on the matter?

Whether the service was done or not. He will never know! :rolleyes:

I guess it wouldn't hurt to look at the air filter to see if that is at least new. but the rest of the stuff, pretty much have to trust the dealer. :(

Netdewt

TDI
mkv jsw tdi dsg
I'll be looking at the maintenance records when I pick up the car tomorrow night, but they did call today and say that the 40K service including DSG service was done at 40K.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
They may have. They just aren't being very quick about communicating with me. I do think it's odd that they don't know about the maintenance intervals, but what am I supposed to do about it. All I can do is ask until I get answers.

I have not actually signed the purchase agreement yet, just put down money to hold the car. That will be tomorrow night. They needed some time to buff out some scratches on the rear bumper I asked them to take care of. I have my list of things to verify before I drive the car home.
The schedule is in the owner's manual and also online. One change according to my dealer is the DSG oil change.....now 50K up from 40K.

:)

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
But so many dealers tell people the DSG is "lifetime fill", so.... :rolleyes:
Or when they tell you it has a torque converter :eek:

I'll be looking at the maintenance records when I pick up the car tomorrow night, but they did call today and say that the 40K service including DSG service was done at 40K.
That's what I'd want to see/know - proof of as much service as possible. Given the DSG is 40K doing it now (47) would be "too late" for me. If they have the records that prove the service was done I'd be okay, a clueless dealer isn't at all unusual.

The schedule is in the owner's manual and also online. One change according to my dealer is the DSG oil change.....now 50K up from 40K.
Not according to VWoA, I called. The reply was along the lines of "do what?" (real answer was "we didn't change the service interval".

Last edited:

Netdewt

TDI
mkv jsw tdi dsg
Just to resolve this, the maintenance record is good, not perfect but good. 40k performed at 46k. No 20k service appears to have been done, but the 10k and 30k were. All is good.

I'm giddy. And jealous of my wife, who will be driving the car most of the time.

oilhammer

TDI
I found out years ago the only way for my wife and I to not argue over who gets to drive the TDI that day is to get another TDI. Problem solved. Except now I think I need to get her her own manual Golf, as she seems to enjoy driving that more than the Passat. :p

Still waiting for Sprocket to perfect his research on Project BHW+Manual Gearbox Bliss, then maybe I can make her happy. :)

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
Yes, the DSG needs service every 40K - between $300 & $800.
Find a local guru (possibly free) or someone with VCDS. Purchase a kit for $130-150 and a trans fluid funnel from Walmart for $3. Perform the change yourself (or with the help of a guru) and know it got done right.

40K = 20K + DSG service
120K = 40K + timing belt
Air filter is 40K, not 20K.

:eek::eek::eek:

10K should cost around $75. Dealers like to throw in extra crap like brake fluid flushes and engine cleanings and stuff like that which costs you an arm and a leg and is not recommended nor required according to the maintenance schedule.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to look at the air filter to see if that is at least new. but the rest of the stuff, pretty much have to trust the dealer. :(
That will break the seal on the filter and according to VW and Mann, you have to replace the filter since it is a one-time seal. If it has a prefilter, it'll look dirtier than it actually is.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
GTIDan - the DSG is 40K not 50K...you're dealer isn't telling you accurate info. I was just at my dealer (very well respected) just this week for my oil change, tire rotate and balance and had the rear pads done too @ 50K miles and was told that VW has not altered the DSG service from 40K to 50K.

Even those that called VW were told it is still 40K but if you want to give it another 10K on your car...then I say go for it:rolleyes:

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Find a local guru (possibly free) or someone with VCDS. Purchase a kit for $130-150 and a trans fluid funnel from Walmart for $3. Perform the change yourself (or with the help of a guru) and know it got done right.
I was going with dealer cost.

Air filter is 40K, not 20K.
Thanks for the correction, I must have been thinking of my wife's Rabbit???

:eek::eek::eek:

10K should cost around $75. Dealers like to throw in extra crap like brake fluid flushes and engine cleanings and stuff like that which costs you an arm and a leg and is not recommended nor required according to the maintenance schedule.
:D Not in my area. Using the VW "check this" list you end up paying 2hrs labor @ $95 - $105/hr + about $85 in parts (oil & filter)..................which is why when the dealer said $895 for the 40K (DSG NOT included) I said I don't think so :D

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
:D Not in my area. Using the VW "check this" list you end up paying 2hrs labor @ $95 - $105/hr + about $85 in parts (oil & filter)..................which is why when the dealer said $895 for the 40K (DSG NOT included) I said I don't think so :D
Jeez. My dealer sucks but they aren't that expensive. And the weird part is that they send me e-mails with oil change specials pretty frequently and almost always the cost of materials exceeds the cost they want for the oil change. I haven't done it though, because even though they want $29.99, I'd rather spend the extra $10 to do it myself and know it got done right. And yeah they use the right oil, because that was my first thought.... Oh, and the $29.99 includes their inspection service. Which might be where they make their money, because they might recommend stuff gets done that doesn't need to get done. I wouldn't be surprised if they rip some CV boots every now and then to make some extra money... :\

oilhammer

TDI
When the dealers send out a '$29.95' oil change special, it is riddled with footnotes, like "some vehicles not included, up to X quarts bulk oil only" etc. Since there is not a single VW model sold here in the last 10+ years that you can even purchase the correct oil and filter for at a dealer for less than $30, I'd say that is a scam.