Cooling mods for better MPG's

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI All,

Been reading a a lot on the forums lately and looking to modify things as the weather gets nicer...(plus Ive been driving a lot more for work lately....would you believe 585 Miles a day for the past 5 days ?!?!?....

I am tired but it gives even more reason to mod for fuel mileage!

With that in mind, I was wandering a junkyard and came across a wrecked TDI and it got me to thinking....

1) Has anybody ever tried TWO intercoolers plumbed in series to reduce
IAT to improve mileage (maybe even power too?).....FWIW I recently
Recently installed a Malone Stage 1 tune...

2) I read that some have found that fuel cooling helps too (sometimes?)...I
was wondering of it'd be worthwhile to get the factory fuel cooler while
at the junkyard....Of course I could just get a huge plate cooler and mount it up front where it'd cool the fuel even more (only reason I am thinking fuel cooler is because of the Tune I recently installed.....Has to put more fuel in to make power therefore maybe heating the fuel up more?....Also is the IP like an auto trans in terms of keeping it cool will make it last longer?....If no other power or fuel mileage benefits if cooler fuel would make the IP last longer I'd be all over it.

So what do you think, cooling mods to help fuel economy?

Thanks in advance for your input....

Andrew

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
1) Yes, and the new abarths use this system, http://image.superstreetonline.com/.../modp-1210-02+2013-fiat-500-abarth+engine.jpg.

It's not very good and increasing the length complicates the ducting considerably, which is rarely beneficial. Hurts throttle response and makes diagnostics harder too. The Stock intercooler is fine.

2) Nah. If we're talking high power applications where the IP is stressed and actually warming up the fuel considerably, sure. You can log temps with VCDS. Yes an 11mm from an auto will help with temps and fuel flow a lot. No it is not required for stock turbo cars. If you can find an 11mm pump for a good price (depends on area but under 500 bucks), buy it. It's a great power increase and they're not exactly depreciating.

Best mods you can do are well inflated low rolling resistance tires, make sure the belly pan is in one piece, check your pump timing and IQ, and change the oil once in a blue moon.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Cooling mods for better economy?

Block the grille. Less air goes through the rad, less aero drag.
while you're at it, real low air dam, same reason

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Considering that at cruising speeds under 80 you are hardly using any boost, a double intercooler would be a waste of time and resources for economy purposes.