My 2013 Passat TDI SEL starting problem

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
No - it will time out automatically. I don't know how long that time period is, but one thing is for sure - it will not continue to crank indefinitely.

Turbobruce

TDI
2013 Passat tdi sel
My Passat has been doing the same thing lately too. I blame it on the Hankooks.:D

On a serious note, I really have been dealing with this issue with the car lately. I have pressed the brake pedal until I felt like it was going to go through the firewall. It takes me 5-6 tries before I can start it. It really pisses me off when it happens. My wife however has never had this issue. Not sure what's going on with it.

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Is anyone having issues with remote starting their car?

I only ask because if its a vacuum leak, like I've read in this forum, it should still start with the remote.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
not likely since it does start.

It does not sound like the OP is having a problem of it cranking and not starting (reminescent of a failed HPFP), but instead he is having a problem of it not cranking. Please do not propogate the irrational fear of an HPFP failure problem on the Passat. There are no documented failures that are not a direct result of misfueling, as far as I know.

I think if the OP presses and HOLDS the brake pedal, presses the start button and waits for the glow plug light to go out, I bet the car will start every time.

I do not know for sure if releasing the brake pedal could cause the car not to start.

Tomorrow (if I remember before pressing the start button) I will try to make a video on my iphone showing a 4-5 second delay to show what happens to me.
Releasing the brake pedal before the car starts will definitely cause the system to not start. I encountered this in the first few months of ownership in colder weather. Hold the brake, hit start, release the brake, nothing. Hold the brake, hit start again, this time it starts without delay.

What I discovered is if you press the brake and hold, hit and release the start button, and wait "while continuing to hold the brake" it will start every time. Sometimes the start will take several seconds and usually coincides with the glow plug light going off.

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Seems to me like the button is causing some difficulties. I havent seen a thread on anyones regular key not working.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Releasing the brake pedal before the car starts will definitely cause the system to not start. I encountered this in the first few months of ownership in colder weather. Hold the brake, hit start, release the brake, nothing. Hold the brake, hit start again, this time it starts without delay.

What I discovered is if you press the brake and hold, hit and release the start button, and wait "while continuing to hold the brake" it will start every time. Sometimes the start will take several seconds and usually coincides with the glow plug light going off.
I tested this this morning and it is exactly the way it went.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Now that I am getting used to not having to use the key for anything for the most part, I like it. It is useful for not having keys banging around on the column. Don't have to even worry about anything as long as the key is on your person. As long as it doesn't break, I will be happy with it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Take most of the stuff off the car in that case. No one "needs" all the extra stuff. Most people buy what they want and not what they need.

Vmwalker

TDI
2013 Passet TDI SEL Premium Reflex/Moonrock
The button is such a gimmick. Is it cool? Maybe. Is it particularly useful? Absolutely not.
My '13 SEL must be really screwed up as I have to USE the 'button' everytime I want to start the motor. I'll bring it to the attention local VW service department here in <700 miles when I take it in for the 10k check.:)

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
My '13 SEL must be really screwed up as I have to USE the 'button' everytime I want to start the motor. I'll bring it to the attention local VW service department here in <700 miles when I take it in for the 10k check.:)
Weird, I never had to push a button to get my car to start...do I need a button?:D

Vmwalker

TDI
2013 Passet TDI SEL Premium Reflex/Moonrock
Weird, I never had to push a button to get my car to start...do I need a button?:D
How do you get the door open w/o depressing a button? With KESSY just grab the door handle then do the brake/button combo. Guess we both have to push a button at one point in the starting sequence unless you never lock your doors. ;)
Using the key to unlock the doors is so 90's so it took me a while to consider that method of access. :rolleyes:
Been fun. SK

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
How do you get the door open w/o depressing a button? With KESSY just grab the door handle then do the brake/button combo. Guess we both have to push a button at one point in the starting sequence unless you never lock your doors. ;)
Using the key to unlock the doors is so 90's so it took me a while to consider that method of access. :rolleyes:
Been fun. SK

Who said I didn't have to push a button to get into my car? I merely said I don't have to push one to start it. :p

05 high miler

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagen @ 250,000 miles, 2013 Passat TDI SEL @ 6,000 miles
In answer to how long it will crank if it doesn't start.
About a year ago my key start 2005 had a problem. It would crank but never light off after sitting for a day or 2. After cranking for 10 seconds the MFI would light up with a large red warning message, "STOP CRANKING LOW OIL PRESSURE". It would startle you so much that you couldn't help letting go of the key. So, I would guess that the really smart computer in the kessy cars would stop cranking after about 10 seconds.

jhsjr2

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Wrong? It doesn't help, not sure if it hurts anything. A single stab starts the process...which we now know, in the cold, is a bit delayed.
it is unfortunate that I know this, but as a guy who has had a lot of loaner vehicles lately.........

On a loaner I had, (gas) you actually have to hold the button until it starts. On my diesel, which I rarely get to drive, just pushing it and releasing it will initiate the process. I have had several times when it would not start, nor attempt to start.

robd4

TDI
Jetta TDI
My wife is having the same problem and the dealer claims there is nothing wrong with the sat there for three days so far and no results seems like this is a common problem for car.

I also don't like the remote start that shuts the car off when you open the door ....and the fender stereo is a total POS it takes any were from 5 to 30 seconds to change the channel

:eek:

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
My wife is having the same problem and the dealer claims there is nothing wrong with the sat there for three days so far and no results seems like this is a common problem for car.

I also don't like the remote start that shuts the car off when you open the door ....and the fender stereo is a total POS it takes any were from 5 to 30 seconds to change the channel

:eek:
When you press the brake to start do you continue to hold pressure on the pedal until it starts? If you release the brake prior to the starter engaging the system will not complete the start sequence.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Robd4, the remote start design has been discussed at length. Most agree the engine shutting off when doors unlock is poor. Nothing you can do about it. I don't use it.

The RNS510 radio is slow to boot up. Using the remote to unlock the doors even 10s earlier than KESSY touching the handle will improve that. After the initial boot, it should take less than 1 second to change channels. If not, have the dealer check of updates to the radio software.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Robd4, the remote start design has been discussed at length. Most agree the engine shutting off when doors unlock is poor. Nothing you can do about it. I don't use it.

The RNS510 radio is slow to boot up. Using the remote to unlock the doors even 10s earlier than KESSY touching the handle will improve that. After the initial boot, it should take less than 1 second to change channels. If not, have the dealer check of updates to the radio software.
I just wanted to chime in and echo your comments re the 510. Mine is very quick on channel change, menu change and back up camera. What causes it to not be quick is when I change a band or media input when I've just finished starting. Otherwise, I have the music input working and the backup camera on within a couple of seconds after I get into the car and start. I don't lock it, as it sits in the garage.

robd4

TDI
Jetta TDI
One time the car wouldn't start it said "ignition already started even though the car wasn't running

as for the radio you can use the knob on the right to change the station and it takes at least 5 to 10 + seconds for that to respond

Germans can never get good stereos in there cars for what ever reasons.....

Runningman2010

TDI
2014 Passat
2014 TDI Dead in the Driveway

Went to start my Passat Saturday and no joy! No dash lights, it'd crank over fine and sometimes run for a sec before dying. Also no dash lights or gauges. Radio, all other lights come on. Good battery charge, all known fuses good, DEF level good, fuel level good. Coming up on 40K miles with no previous trouble and good maintenance record....Any ideas anyone?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Scan for codes. Could be a CANBUS freak-out or a dead cluster.