Golf TDI as a road trip car

surfponto

TDI
2013 Golf TDI

For the two of us our 2013 Golf TDI has turned out to be a great road trip car.
We just returned from Mammoth Mountain which is approx. an 800 mile round trip drive from our house in Encinitas.

Average on way up was 43 mpg driving 70 - 75 mph. return trip was closer to 47 mpg. Of course the two Mountain Bikes along with 5 days of luggage packed into the hatchback didn't really make for optimal hypermiling. :)

We explored many of the lakes around Mammoth and June Mountains.

Lots of cool things to check out driving up and back.
My only wish was that our Golf was an AWD so we could head up there for ski season and have extra peace of mind. :)

AK islandr

TDI
Silver 03 GLS 5 spd wagon
AWD is over rated in my mind. Sold my Subaru vowing it was a waste of fuel, money and did not have the handling I missed. Any of my front-wheel drive cars have done as good as an AWD Subaru or better in snow and without chains. It is the driver and tires that make the difference!

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
Looks like you had a blast. The Golf with a set of steelies and winter tires and your good to go. This past winter I was using my 2011 Golf as a snow plow going to work at 5 AM. No plows had been out yet and it just hammered on through.

http://youtu.be/cUnEbNgHFco

Last edited:

surfponto

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
I do like the front wheel drive and really wouldn't want to take the mpg hit
What type of tires do you run up there?
Bob

AWD is over rated in my mind. Sold my Subaru vowing it was a waste of fuel, money and did not have the handling I missed. Any of my front-wheel drive cars have done as good as an AWD Subaru or better in snow and without chains. It is the driver and tires that make the difference!

surfponto

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Great video. :)
Will be interesting this winter when we head up to the local mountains to see how our Golf handles

Looks like you had a blast. The Golf with a set of steelies and winter tires and your good to go. This past winter I was using my 2011 Golf as a snow plow going to work at 5 AM. No plows had been out yet and it just hammered on through.

http://youtu.be/cUnEbNgHFco

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
If the Golf has the same bolt circle diameter as the Jetta get ahold of Tirerack.com to see if they have any steel replacement wheels for your car. I kept the steel wheels I had snow tires on from the '99 Passat with a nearly new set of Blizzaks on them. Even with AWD you need good winter tires, and it you can find some 15 or 16 inch steel VW wheels with mounted tires get them. If you're not too far from Reno you can take another trip and pick up the wheels with snow tires mounted and save shipping. We've had good luck with Michelin Alpin's and X-Ice's as well as the Blizzaks. None of them last a long time, but that's the price of good traction

surfponto

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Awesome thanks for the information. Will check out their site.
Bob

If the Golf has the same bolt circle diameter as the Jetta get ahold of Tirerack.com to see if they have any steel replacement wheels for your car. I kept the steel wheels I had snow tires on from the '99 Passat with a nearly new set of Blizzaks on them. Even with AWD you need good winter tires, and it you can find some 15 or 16 inch steel VW wheels with mounted tires get them. If you're not too far from Reno you can take another trip and pick up the wheels with snow tires mounted and save shipping. We've had good luck with Michelin Alpin's and X-Ice's as well as the Blizzaks. None of them last a long time, but that's the price of good traction