Advice on selling/pricing 2003 Jetta TDI wagon

Algae

TDI
VW Jetta wagon 5 speed TDI
Hi there,
I am in Seattle and the proud owner of a silver 2003 Jetta wagon TDI 5 speed with just over 60K miles. It's been a great car.

Based on the research I've done, obviously there is a strong market for my vehicle. My question is - what's the best way to market and sell? Many have advised just trading in at the dealer (I'm going to get a new Jetta TDI wagon) but I may not get much for it that way.

Thoughts?

Here are a few other details-
Single owner since 2003 (me)
5 speed
Black leather interior
Moon/Sun roof
Have been fueling car with biodiesel the last 4 years
No mechanical issues of any kind
All service has been done at the dealership - Carter VW in Seattle (with the exception of one year when we lived in Minnesota)
No accidents, but there is a bit of cosmetic body damage from when I tried to squeeze into my too-small garage. Some other minor scratches and dings too, general wear and tear.

I'm leaning towards getting the car detailed, taking some nice photos and listing it for around.... ? Or, should I just go to the dealer and be done with it.

Thanks so much!
-Allison

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Best way is to sell it here. It will sell quickly and you are sure to get more than the dealer will offer. My guess is the dealer will offer about $8k.

Realistic price for the car is 10K to 12K, depending on how serious those dents are IMHO. I paid 10.5K for an 04 wagon with 75K miles on it and the 03's are more sought after.

The car is most likely the most sought after model, and very low miliage.

And you know the new one is going to have problems with BioDiesel?

If you like Bio, you might want to keep this one.

Last edited:

janb

Veteran Member
In Your Market (green machines rule) I would probably sell it BUT>>>> WA State Tax issue :eek:

so... trading it in will save you ~9% sales tax on the value of trade-in, so.... Hopefully you have a very good relationship with your dealer, AND they want to accommodate your sale and gain another TDI customer (you are SO KIND to use the dealer for Maint., they must be so VERY nice to you.)

consider.... asking the dealer if they will give you a high valued trade allowance IF you bring them a buyer for your trade-in. Discuss what price they want you to get for the trade-in, then advertise and have them close the sale. (This will allow them to credit your purchase by the amount of trade-in value)

If you have a crummy dealer and you can cover the 9% extra costs (and trouble) for selling it yourself then do so. Maybe the Green / Clean Car company (Bellingham) would sell it for you, they seem to have no problem getting a premium price for TDI's. (Be VERY careful with them, their 'value system' is questionable to anyone with a non-capitalistic bent)

hogmae

TDI
2003 jetta wagon GL TDI
i am dealing with the green car company in bellvue wa state. sounds like the same outfit. i sure hope i didn't make a mistake going with them. i have to say that they have answered all of my questions. in the tens after following this forum. i have the very same vehicle waiting for me. 76k, automatic (my preference). is immaculate for 12,500. i couldn't believe how hard it has been to find this wagon. they found a buyer for my 02 sequoia at blue book, and they encourage an independent mechanic from vw dealership to check vehicle out prior to me taking delivery.

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
IMO, keep it. Everything i've read is you're asking for trouble with the new ones.

Otherwise, the 10-12 range sounds right for one with that low mileage. I bought one 3/10 with over 2x that mileage but with some nice mod's for 10.5k.

BTW, have you done the timing belt? I think those original belts should be changed by now. If you do, please, oh please, do NOT take it to the dealership for that job.

matt

Algae

TDI
VW Jetta wagon 5 speed TDI
Wow, great advice, thank you all!

1. No I haven't done the timing belt yet. Why not take it to the dealer?
2. I do know that I have to give up biodiesel on the new jetta tdis but apparently the emissions are better? I don't drive a lot so really I just need a car to haul my kids around town. Are there other things that are bad? Would love to know.
3. I have seen the Green Car Co. in Bellevue and will give them a call.

Thanks again!
-Allison

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Add another to the keep it list. :D I just helped my folks locate and purchase a clean higher mileage '03 TDI Wagon. Great cars. Reliable and reasonable to keep on the road.

The new TDIs have issues with their high pressure fuel pumps and there have been a number of people/members here burned to the tune of $8K + from the dealer on that repair. The parts they're replacing the faulty parts with are the same units, not updated parts. I'm not in the market for a new car but if I were I wouldn't consider a new TDI until this issue has been resolved.

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
Wow, great advice, thank you all!

1. No I haven't done the timing belt yet. Why not take it to the dealer?
2. I do know that I have to give up biodiesel on the new jetta tdis but apparently the emissions are better? I don't drive a lot so really I just need a car to haul my kids around town. Are there other things that are bad? Would love to know.
3. I have seen the Green Car Co. in Bellevue and will give them a call.

Thanks again!
-Allison
1. I say don't take it to the dealer because they will charge to almost twice as much as say a recommended TDI Guru from this site and they might not replace all of the parts that they are supposed to. If you look around long enough on this forum you will find many many botched timing belt jobs done by dealerships.

2. The HPFP issue is beginning to become a spotty issue and an extremely expensive one. I would recommend either keeping the car you have to be honest. These cars can run up into the 200,000 to 300,000 range with only regular maintenance and proper care.

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen
Message me if your serious about selling it, i have a friend who is interested.

tdTDI

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon
If you were closer to Georgia, I'd say sell it - to me!! I entered the market yesterday when mine got totaled on my way to work. It was just like yours - silver/black leather 03, but had 215k miles. I'm the saddest person I know right now. Send me a private message if you are interested in selling yours - I need to find something quickly, and the distance may prove daunting. Why are the few available so far away?

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
People get mad at me bidding up cars that I'm not in the market for, but Washington State is a hot bed for TDIs, especially wagons. And a clean, well-equipped, low-mileage example is very rare. I'd ask 15K, and I'd bet you'll get 14.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
The best way is Craigslist, IMO.

The average buyer here is an extreme cheapskate, like me.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
The best way is Craigslist, IMO.

The average buyer here is an extreme cheapskate, like me.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Your next car will not be as long term reliable as what you already have. The 03 wagon is perhaps the best value ever made. You will regret selling it. If you do sell it, I hope that it goes to another forum member. If it's in very good condition and the maintenance is current- timing belt, etc, then 14k may not be out of line.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
People get mad at me bidding up cars that I'm not in the market for, but Washington State is a hot bed for TDIs, especially wagons. And a clean, well-equipped, low-mileage example is very rare. I'd ask 15K, and I'd bet you'll get 14.

Mad? Nah. Admittedly, I am not a wagon fan and they hold no value to me. That said, if an eight model year old wagon that is overdue for a timing belt, is otherwise stock and has been dealer serviced is worth $14(k) my advice to the OP would be to sell it ASAP!

ToddC

TDI
None
Still for sale?

Alison,

I live in the Puget Sound area and would be interested in looking at your car, if it is still for sale.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Todd

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Hey, I have a friend who would wants it. Post some photos pls.

Hi there,
I am in Seattle and the proud owner of a silver 2003 Jetta wagon TDI 5 speed with just over 60K miles. It's been a great car.

Based on the research I've done, obviously there is a strong market for my vehicle. My question is - what's the best way to market and sell? Many have advised just trading in at the dealer (I'm going to get a new Jetta TDI wagon) but I may not get much for it that way.

Thoughts?

Here are a few other details-
Single owner since 2003 (me)
5 speed
Black leather interior
Moon/Sun roof
Have been fueling car with biodiesel the last 4 years
No mechanical issues of any kind
All service has been done at the dealership - Carter VW in Seattle (with the exception of one year when we lived in Minnesota)
No accidents, but there is a bit of cosmetic body damage from when I tried to squeeze into my too-small garage. Some other minor scratches and dings too, general wear and tear.

I'm leaning towards getting the car detailed, taking some nice photos and listing it for around.... ? Or, should I just go to the dealer and be done with it.

Thanks so much!
-Allison

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
Your next car will not be as long term reliable as what you already have. The 03 wagon is perhaps the best value ever made. You will regret selling it. If you do sell it, I hope that it goes to another forum member. If it's in very good condition and the maintenance is current- timing belt, etc, then 14k may not be out of line.
truman speaks the truth here...loving mine. it's especially good when a forum member owns and loves the car before you get it :)

surfbus

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 03 Jetta
Keep it, that model year is quite reliable long term.

If you insist on selling it, please drop it off to any of the TDI club members desperately looking for a car. WA State used car dealership prices are pretty outrageous for TDI's. Forced me to buy out of state, do as you wish though.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Look at the classifieds/Autotrader to see what wagons are going for..If you like car so much,why get rid of it???? Seems like more people are looking for an 02/03 wagon recently,and with all fuel prices on the rise-you'll see more people looking for the fuel economy cars again. You've used biodiesel for 4 years-what kind(percentage)? From a station or homemade? Personally,if I had a low mileage 03 wagon,I would keep it and maintain it till the wheels fell off..... at least until they figure out some of the kinks in the newer CR TDI's....

Last edited:

draco76

Veteran Member
TDI
99 NB(sold), 03 NB(sold), 100% bug free :) 99.5 4d Golf, 2004 GL Wagon
you guys know this person has not even logged on in a month, find another car :D