roof box carrier on racks or right on roof?

FloridaMutt

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 GL Manual Jetta Wagon
I have a roof carrier box that I received free.

It has attachments and foam to be installed right on the roof, but I also have roof rack bars.

I could go either way, but I am wondering if there is a benefit to doing it either way.

On the racks it would have a gap between the roof and itself for wind to catch.

Any pictures of your installation would be welcome.

mackconsult

Veteran Member
TDI
95 TDI Passat Wagon
I always use a roof rack. Its more secure, and prevents possible roof damage.

Either way its going to hurt your mileage.

Assumption is that in either case it will be properly "tied down".

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI

I use my rack LOTS. I have a simple two bar Yakima system that stays on almost all the time. i haul ladders, lumber, whatever on top of the bars. I also have bike attachments, and an aluminum safari basket. I can also mount the bike racks to the top of the safari basket, and still pack stuff between the bikes. The safari basket is flat sided and the has ZERO aerodynamic qualities. Just the bars are not that bad.
The higher (taller) you get the more mileage hit you'll take. If you have roof rack "bars," I would use them before putting any foam directly on the roof. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

XXX_er

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
using bars attached on the mounting rivets under the rubber molding you could probably pick the car up by the roof rack

I put tools kayak paddles ,skis, camping gear,computer parts ,all kinds of stuff in my thule box

the bars and box have been on the last 3 cars since 1997

mackconsult

Veteran Member
TDI
95 TDI Passat Wagon
DCELL said:

I use my rack LOTS. I have a simple two bar Yakima system that stays on almost all the time. i haul ladders, lumber, whatever on top of the bars. I also have bike attachments, and an aluminum safari basket. I can also mount the bike racks to the top of the safari basket, and still pack stuff between the bikes. The safari basket is flat sided and the has ZERO aerodynamic qualities. Just the bars are not that bad.
The higher (taller) you get the more mileage hit you'll take. If you have roof rack "bars," I would use them before putting any foam directly on the roof. Just my $0.02.
Yeah I have a 21 ft^3 thule box with yakima rack gear for both the passat and the sprinter. Have two short bars primarily for the passat, and then 3 72" bars for sprinter/passat/utility trailer. Haven't put any of these on the passat or van yet, but the 72" bars get used all the time on the utility trailer for laser sailing.

Last edited: