1Z vs. AHU

Typrus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Jetta Sedan GLS/TDI 5mt
Whats the difference??? Aren't they both wastegated setups? What else is changed?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The AHU has higher pop pressure injectors, a different make turbo, and slightly cleaner emissions. The ECU is slightly different between them too. They are virtually identical.

-Jason

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Different valve seats, different valve guides and seals, too. Some of these were incorporated as running changes in the 1Z, thus the 97 Passat (1Z) and 97 Jetta (AHU) have different engine codes, but likely have the same internal components.:confused:

bigblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta ALH, 2004 golf pd150
which one is the predecessor/supercessor?

aka which one is in my '97 canadian passat? :D

dieselgrandad

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Silver B4 Passat
which one is the predecessor/supercessor?

aka which one is in my '97 canadian passat?
The 1Z preceded the AHU. Here is an ancient thread that may help:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=48444

The engines are interchangeable. I have an AHU in my '97, thanks to a stealership screw-up and subsequent TB failure. I did not change the ECU.

I can't attest to the interchangeability of specific parts (i.e. fuel pumps, etc.). However the intake manifolds from both engines are identical.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Some '97 Jettas have (mine included) have 1Z engines. All B4 Passat TDIs were 1Zs, I'm pretty sure. Later '97 Jettas and all '98s are AHUs.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Is jelous OK. to mention...,
I am.

My 1996 B4 has the old clunker, the 1Z with the GQ ECU.
Wish I had the better AHU/ALH pistons and MORE power :D !

a350z4me

TDI
98 Jetta TDI
IndigoBlueWagon said:
Some '97 Jettas have (mine included) have 1Z engines. All B4 Passat TDIs were 1Zs, I'm pretty sure. Later '97 Jettas and all '98s are AHUs.
My 98 has a 1Z. I'll get a picture of the build sheet later if you want.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Sometimes the build sheets are incorrect. I'm not doubting you, but the engine number is the most reliable way to tell.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
On the front of the engine, above the oil filter flange, usually covered with crud.

Trimmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
I cant find a 1z or AHU on my block above the oil filter flange all I see is a couple like 259XX and a little stamp sooo where could it be lol?

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Trimmy, yours is probably an AHU since it was built in 1998.

"we" have never seen an '98 with a 1Z engine(so luck seems to be in YOUR favor !).
The AHU/ALH pistons are lighter therefore more boost/compression can be had in the AHU before blowing a head gasket.(means more HP/TQ :) ).

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Another way to tell is the 1Z does not have the liquid cooled EGR(look for the ribbed aluminum tube on the back side of the intake manifold). Or, in the interim year (`97) are some of those mixed as well? My `97 B4 sedan has the AHU,. Both `96 B4 Wagons have the 1Z. I don't see a big difference. Unless you're modding to extremes, they'll both get you 400K+ miles:)

Last edited:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Jetter_Sprinta said:
Another way to tell is the 1Z does not have the liquid cooled EGR(look for the ribbed aluminum tube on the back side of the intake manifold). Or, in the interim year (`97) are some of those mixed as well?
All '97 1Zs had water-cooled EGRs.

Trimmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
well mine has a liquid cooled EGR but I would still like to know where the stamp is on the block lol it's bugging me now that I started looking for it. Can anyone point me in a directions other than above the oil filter flange?

Thanks a lot
Justin

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
For me, the biggest difference is internal. The 1Z has an 8mm valve stem. It's a lot beefier and quite typically will last longer, at the expense of a bit of horsepower. The stem does take up some of the port...more than you think.

The 8mm valves are nearly unobtainable, or if you can get them, they are priced out of line.

I have a small collection of 1Z valves. If more than 3 valves need replaced in a head, it's cheaper to knock out the guides and replace all the 8mm valves and guides with 7mm. It's a direct exchange.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Some 1Z have 8 mm valves, others have 7 mm. It depends on the engine serial number. The improved (thicker) valve guides were introduced during the 1Z production run.
In steps...
There are actually THREE combinations of 1Z valve, guide, springs used from the factory during the 1Z run. As Frank points out, going to full AHU valve componentry makes sense in many situations.

Ashes to ashes. May this thread rest in peace.