exhaust manifold Q

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
how did you tap the oil line? or did you? and i think the 22 i got has a triangle flange so it might mount up no prob. ill post pics when i can. and did you have prob. with keeping the boost down?

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
The oil lines in the VNT 20 are kinda reversed so now the oil enters at tee bottom and exits at the top. I cut the feed line(8mm) and got a new tube with atuoflare(dont know the right term) fitting on the other end and a fitting that fits the oil feed on the other end. For the exit I made 2 adapters with 7mm thick flanges and welded 10mm tubes to them. Then I connected them with tube with 10mm atuoflares. Heres a pic of the oil in tube connected. http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=23614&cat=500&ppuser=35426 Ill srearch for a pic of the flanges and other stuff and post it later :)

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
ok where do the lines go. im guessing the in line goes in the oil pan?? never messed with turbos b4. and the exit where is that tapped
i didnt see any oil lines hooked up to my current turbo. but i havent really looked and im in iraq so i cant go look . did you have to tap lines??

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
No. The ou tline ges to the pan. The In lin comes from the oil filter:) No tapping needed. Just the right fittigs.

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
the oil filter
ok do you got a pick if not the ill look when i get a chance. so you run a line under the engine to the oil filter and taped a line to the oil pan . how do you know which if the in and out? i will have pics soon i hope. my wife has to take pics to send to me. i hope that i can instll it when i go home for leave. thanks for everything if i havent said so b4 .

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
ok i got pics from the wif and i see wht you are talking about and the out line is on top. and lucky me the flange is a triangle and i think will mount perfectly. oh hey where did you get the parts?? could you give me a list ?
if not you have already done way to much and have helped lot. 200 hp here i come.

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
again oh did you have to make a plate with bolts on it and weld it to the turbo b/c mine is just round and looks like 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust outlet. i cant wait to get it in but im so far away.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
I got the oil lines made locally by a hydraulics shop. They cost about 40€ so pretty cheap:) the oil in is the smaler one. The oil out has a flange and it connects with 2 10mm bolts to the turbine housing. The "autoflare" fitting I used to connect to the original oil line coming from the filter to the OEM turbo is pretty simple to use. It has sort of a ring that you put on the OEM oil line (cut with tubing cutter of course) and after that you just screw the fitting realy tight and the ring makes a tight seal between the tube and the new oil line:) The fittings are commonly used in hydraulics so you should find them easily.

Beacause VNT20 uses 4 bolts and the manifold has only 3, I had to make an adapter plate and mod the VNT20 flange a bit. No welding needed. I used a drill with machining bit to make 2 of the holes closer to each other on the turbo and made an adapter plate to connect to the third bolt coming out of the exhaust manifold. You can see some pictures of the process in my photo gallery. But with your turbo having 3 holes for mounting that method wont work. If the manifold bolts are close to the ones that your turbo has then you can propably machine the holes on the turbo with a drill to make the holes allign. If they are too far, then you will need to make/get made a adapter plate between the manifold and the new turbo. Heres a thread about another VNT20 install : http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=128303
In the pictures you can see what kind of adapter plate I mean. It has suitable holes to connect it to the manifold and threaded holes for the turbo.

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
cool thanks . did the vnt 20 come with 3 bolts for the exhaust down pipe? ill post mine so you can see mine is just a round fitting . did you have alot of lag? mine intake ar is .53 with a .64 AR exhauzt side

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Yes it was with 3 bolt exhaust connection. I had to mod my original exhaust with grinder, reclock it and drill some new holes to it( original turbo was KKK ;) )

Lo lag when its working like it should, but I have very hard time getting it to work. I have already cleaned the vanes and exhaust side once but the vanes are still getting stuck pretty bad. Ill have to clean it once more and check the cleareances and maeby use higher spacer/studs there.

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
the girl i bought mine from cleaned the hell out of mine. when i get time ill post pics may be tomorrow morning. 12hr days with no days off starts to get to you after month 4

DIESEL DAZZLER

Veteran Member
TDI
81VW TDI PU,94 GOLF TDI,97 PASSAT TDI,03 ,06 JETTA TDI's,KABOTA DIESEL LAWNMOWER
Looks like its from a Benz ,going by the symbol on the #stampings area.
If you take an exhaust manifold from a vw my diesel/ trapazoid pattern. ,fit it upside down and make an adapter you could utilize this turbo on an ALH .the biggest issues are:actuator and drain clearances with drive shaft and block.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
That wont fit the TDI manifold without an adapter plate. Just look at the link to TDIFreaks thread I posted to see what kind of a adapter I mean. That Is definantly form a MB, but I dont remember the exact model tough. We need Freak to come in on this one:D

You will need the charge hose from MB to connect to that turbo, and you will propably need to find out how the exhaust pipe connects to the turbo too.

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
the manifold i got should be at my house on the 16th . ill have my wife take pics and send them to me . also side by side and how its going to connect to see how far its off. and as far as connecting to it it has a good lip on it wouldnt a clamp do the job? if not i guess ill look online for it. 163 hp i think they really dialed that thing back.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
A clamp would not last there. And acording to those pictures the alignment of the holes does not match. IMHO you need to make and adapter plate like in the link I posted earlier. 15mm plate of regular iron should do the trick. Then you need to make the large hole with cutting torch or get some one to do teh plate with plasma/water/laser. Use allen head bolts with 8mm thread to bolt the plate to the mani, and the turbo to the plate. You will need to make the holes so large that the allen bolt will fit in there and not interfere wihen mounting the turbo ie. drill with 8mm bit through and with ~12mm bit like 10mm deep.