Kia Sportage Diesels

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
Autoweek Magazine reports in the October 11,2004 issue that Kia will sell the Sportage trucklet with a 2.0 liter Diesel at the end of this year. The cost is $17,223.

GMCpatrick

Veteran Member
According to the Cars.com Paris Autoshow report (also BBC Top Gear) , the 2005 Sportage will be offered in Europe with a 2.0L turbo diesel. Since the '05 model year is upon us, if they chose to bring the diesel stateside, then it's not totally out of the question(if not a huge surprise!). More likely tho', is that the Autoweek report is referring to the Euro models...

GMCpatrick

Veteran Member
YIKES - I may have to eat those words!

Sure looks like Autoweek thinks the diesel is coming to this side o' the pond:

More Sportage

What we didn’t say in our Paris show coverage about the Kia Sportage, production of which begins the end of
this month, is that we’ll also be getting a 2.0-liter diesel engine mated to a manual or four-speed automatic when the trucklet arrives in the States at the end of the year. Price is estimated at $17,223.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
If this is true, it is great news. VW, your monopoly on diesels is coming to an end . . .

Truethfully, I won't be ashamed to have people know that I am a big fan of the Kia/Hyundai brand cars. They have everything that people need in basic transportation at cut-rate prices. I'd kill for a diesel powered Sportage, and with a manual trans I'll take it any day over a Jeep Liberty.

Now if only they will roll this engine out in other cars - a diesel Hyundai Elantra GT would be a killer sales item.

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
Make this with a 5 speed and a 10/100 bumper-to-bumper warranty - keep the Sportage a body-on-frame, make it just a bit bigger than it used to be and I will buy it - change it to a uni-body and I'll seriously think about it. I've been debating the Jeep CRD (it's just big enough for my needs) but haven't really been overly thrilled with the AT.

MCA

diesel_freak

Veteran Member
YIKES - I may have to eat those words!

Sure looks like Autoweek thinks the diesel is coming to this side o' the pond:

More Sportage

What we didn’t say in our Paris show coverage about the Kia Sportage, production of which begins the end of
this month, is that we’ll also be getting a 2.0-liter diesel engine mated to a manual or four-speed automatic when the trucklet arrives in the States at the end of the year. Price is estimated at $17,223.
That is indeed good news. More competition is what is needed.

That said, I'd rather buy American-made (Liberty CRD), even if it costs me a little more, as long as quality and other attributes important to me are met.

Some laugh at that, as being simplistically patriotic. Well, they wouldn't laugh if their livelihood depended on the auto industry.

jimlockey

Veteran Member
TDI
14 TDI Jetta & 09 TDI Sportwagen
The only problem I have with Kia is the dealer support or the lack of it. Years ago I bought a Simca which Dodge sold for France. When I had to order a gas cap that got my attention.

I need nation wide support before I buy a vehicle.

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
The Korean makes are still hungry in this country, not resting on their laurels like the Germans.

We just bought a Honda CR-V a couple of months ago. I wonder if we're going to wish we'd have held off? The '05 CR-V had some significant enhancements, but their diesel engine is not making it over here. Yet.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
I have the Oct. 11 Autoweek in my hands and while it does say 2.0 L four, it does NOT state diesel. And the Kia website lists a gasser 2.0L four with CVT as standard for the 2005 Sportage. I'm calling BS on this report.

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
If they brought it to Canada as well, I'd seriously consider changing my sig, although I'd prefer something more wagon-like. Put the diesel (and a manual transmission) in the Sedona and I'd be camped out waiting for the dealer to open. I'd even settle for a diesel Spectra5.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
Bookworm, what information do you mean? The Kia Sportage web site definitely does not mention a diesel, only the standard 4-cyl and the optional V-6, both gasoline.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Kia Sportage Diesels An Illusion ??

I have the Oct. 11 Autoweek in my hands and while it does say 2.0 L four, it does NOT state diesel. And the Kia website lists a gasser 2.0L four with CVT as standard for the 2005 Sportage.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Kia Sportage Diesels An Illusion ??

If you check Kia's UK site you'll find that the "new" Sportage han't been launched here yet. But when it is, it ought to be a cracker. I've driven a Santa Fe and the Sportage will be a fair bit smaller and lighter. The Hyundai/ VM common-rail engine is very good, and the company's build quality has improved vastly since Hyundai got involved.

Definite competition for the Rav4, Freelander, RX4, GV etc...

BioWannabe

According to the Cars.com Paris Autoshow report (also BBC Top Gear) , the 2005 Sportage will be offered in Europe with a 2.0L turbo diesel. Since the '05 model year is upon us, if they chose to bring the diesel stateside, then it's not totally out of the question(if not a huge surprise!). More likely tho', is that the Autoweek report is referring to the Euro models...
Hi,

There seems to be plenty of contradictory information on whether the Sportage will be available as a diesel or not.

YES
Seattle Auto Show

NO
Cars.com

None of the dealerships I've called knew anything about this. (Big surprise, right?) I called the Kia Consumer Affairs phone number, and the assistant said "No diesel". She was going off of the information published on sportage.kia.com which has no mention of a diesel.

My hunch at this time is that North America will not get the diesel.
Too bad. I had my hopes up on this.

Dale

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
I talked with a sales rep today from a dealership and he said check back in December or January they may be here by then.

goacom

I drove a Kia Sorrento 2.5L CRD when in Korea. Very smooth and quite. I was impressed! Felt much smoother than the VW 1.9L TDIs that I have driven in the US.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
I'm afraid the "no-diesel" info is right. That's too bad, because I would probably get one if it came with a diesel, but I wouldn't even consider the Kia otherwise.