Screwdriver Bits Around the World

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
A few years back, I bought a set of screwdriver bits from Sears. When I opened the blister pack, I quickly found that the bits were not standard 1/4" size. Can't remember if they were bigger or smaller. I emailed Sears to ask what part of the world these bits may have been made for, and after a week the local Sears manager called me to ask how he could assist me with my problem.
Needless to say, his global marketing knowledge was not up to the task.

I pretty much forgot about this, until my recent hunt for a 1/4" magnetic socket to use with ratchet sets. One of the solutions was a S•K Offset Ratcheting Screwdriver with Bits, #73602. This offset wrench has a ratcheting magnetic 1/4" socket in one end, and a ratcheting magnetic 5/16" socket at the other. However, only 1/4" bits are included.

To further confuse the issue, I purchased a screwdriver with bits from a dollar store, and discovered that the bits are 3/16".

Are there parts of the world where 3/16 or 5/16" bits are common? Are there metric bit sizes in addition to these?

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
It's not all that global. Some are 1/4", some are 5/16" and the dollar store is whatever the low bidder decides to do. Stick with Craftsman as your bottom shelf, Snap-On if you want to treat yourself. S-K and others are kind of middle of the road. Even for stocking the tool box for numerous cars and trucks, I won't fill them with cheap a$$ tools. Broken down at night, in a snow storm, 300 miles from home isn't when I want to wrestle with tools crafted from cheese soft steel. Just my .02

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
Still waiting to hear: are there different screwdriver bit sizes in Europe or elsewhere?