Are TDI people converted IDI people?

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I've owned a 1982 Rabbit Diesel and a 1980 Audi 5000S Diesel. I'd own another old school Diesel if I found a good one, but I'll never get rid of my TDI for a gasser--well maybe a Viper if I'm rich someday.

[the unit]

Veteran Member
TDI
sold - 2002 Jetta TDI
I came from a 1.8t lemon. Before that, I had a Honda Civic. Who knows what I'll drive after this? Whatever catches my interest. Perhaps after Upsoluting, I'll be able to give you a better answer.

-Rob

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
My first-ever diesel was a Land Rover Discovery TDi, which I still have. We then added 3 x Rover Metro (later redesignated Rover 100) IDI, normally-aspirated 1.4/1.5-litre diesels, as the family members all needed cars, and sold those prior to moving over here. We have a Golf TDi here, as does our daughter.

Most Americans & Canadians on the Forum seem to think that the only vehicles ever badged "TDi" are VWs, but there are loads of them in Europe, although nowadays VW has the sole legal rights to use of the "TDi" designation.

- Richard

artie b

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 TDI stock, have owned and repaired 4 B4 TDI's since 1996
I was hot for a MB a couple of times and last year I was gonna go for one and I could of spent the same amount of money and got a 96 TDI instead. more street knowledge than MB and I've had bunches of VW diesels and kinda understand some of thier engineering.

Oo-v-oO

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta Expired... Now 2000 Golf & 2002 Golf
I had 3 A2 Jetta diesels before getting my TDI, does that count?

Kept my '85, with the Oo-v-oO grille, and sold the others.....
Of course, my backhoe is just a DI.

-Lee

artie b

Veteran Member
TDI
Just wondering if most of the TDI owners are IDI people with the new and improved design? I know I am!

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Frankly, I couldn't care less if my car was TDI or not - it was the only new diesel I could afford when I bought it in 1997...

That being said, my Passat is light-years ahead of any of my other past VW's in terms of usable power! And I don't mind that at all.

DeathEngine

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB
I switched from an integra v-tech. A completly different (and torqueless) animal. Dont miss it one bit

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Not me. My TDI is my fourth car, following two VWs (both 1.8l gassers) and a (gas) Renault 5. It took a while to believe that a diesel was okay in this climate.

e-VOLVed

Veteran Member
TDI
All deceased
Nope, I'm a Volvo convert. 1957 PV444, 1967 122S and 1982 240 Turbo.
My dad told me the Jetta TDI handled better than the 240 and had the same torque... that sold me. Though I was really looking for a Passat Wagon when I started shopping.

artie b

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Oo-v-oO I've had three A2 Jettas also, that car has twice as much room on the inside as the outside. Drove each 400-500,000 miles with only a couple of clutches,1 water pump, about 7 axelhalves, about the same amount of front wheel brngs, plenty of bent rims as I worked for a railroad and bash them down the bumpy roads next to the tracks good cars