Ash load 2010 golf tdi

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon Tdi, 2010 Golf TDI
Hey all, what is soposed to be the ash load limit of the dpf? There seems to bea. Lot of info but no answere that I can find. My ash load is at 180 and 15 grams of soot load.
Thanks
Jamie

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Assume this is the 2010 (duh)

the ash load seems to be commonly around 1 ml per thousand miles. (Only changes 8-11ml at a time)

the soot load is a point in time thing. assuming you mean the calculated soot, normal operation seems to be to climb to 16 or so, then drop back closer to 0 as a regeneration event is performed by the car.

No one has a reliable limit on ash load, or even a validation that the indicated value is backed up by physical measurements.

(of course, I am willing to be corrected on any of this)

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the info and I can't seem to find any facts on the matter also. I have been chasing a mpg issue with our 2010 and that start d a few months ago. We had intake manifold issues with it in regards to the intake regulating flap and did see a increase in mpg with the diesel geek fix but still not where it should be. I took the fix off and it went really down so now I'm going to be taking it off to have a look inside.

Will update.
Thanks
Jamie

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
If you are worried about the DPF being clogged, I think one way to check would be to watch regenerations, and keep an eye on how far apart they are, and how calculated and measured soot behave.

most of the folks who post details see the calculated soot level climb to 16 or so, then a regen, while the measured soot stays much lower.

if measured soot was higher than the calculated, i would think this would indicate it might be time to clean or replace the DPF.

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks all for the info I will check it out again,

did the intake manifold and it really was not clogged at all after 181K

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There are a couple places (dealers with online outlets and varying levels of discount) to purchase a DPF if you think you need it.

VWpartscenter.net is one

https://www.vwpartscenter.net/

you also can have it cleaned,

http://www.dpfregeneration.com/

What have you looked at that makes you think it is the DPF causing your issues?

tadurkee (member) had her DPF replaced at high miles and did not see her MPG restored.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
Hello I would replace the intake check the movement of EX flapper .
Record the ash numbers and do a forced drive regen then do the regen one more time.

Field 2 and 3 should below 3-5 on both and try redoing the basic setting for most of the components . I have had to do this on a few cars to get every thing back in line.

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
My ash load was at 180 last week when I checked. I thought there might be w issue with the intake so I replaced it this past weekend but no gains other then smoother driving but no mpg gain. I do have vcds how do you redo the basic settings?

I'm now looking at the dpf as I hear 175ml is the max ash but there are people will way more... This problem has been a long annoying one to try and fix!
Thanks for the continued help
Jamie

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looks like you are getting over 40 mpg, what exactly do you hope to get from a 2010?

did it drop recently, or do you have some other goal?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What did you do last August?

(tires, perhaps? Brakes?)

and I ask somewhat out of the cost effectiveness. from 41 to 38 mpg over 20,000 miles would mean a difference of 40 gallons.
487 up to 526 gallons

so spending more that what you think 40 gallons of diesel would cost might not be cost effective.

I do not track my mpg so closely, but see that yours is not too far outside the range of other golfs. not the best, but not the worst.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/P047F/00115

last paragraph has hints on how to run adaptation/test of exhaust flap.

worth a shot.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
and there are folks with ash load readings way over 180.

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
What did you do last August?

(tires, perhaps? Brakes?)

and I ask somewhat out of the cost effectiveness. from 41 to 38 mpg over 20,000 miles would mean a difference of 40 gallons.
487 up to 526 gallons

so spending more that what you think 40 gallons of diesel would cost might not be cost effective.

I do not track my mpg so closely, but see that yours is not too far outside the range of other golfs. not the best, but not the worst.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/P047F/00115

last paragraph has hints on how to run adaptation/test of exhaust flap.

worth a shot.
thank you for the help I will check the exhaust flap, we did have it changed under warranty some time ago.

Last august I did brakes, DSG and tires. I was thinking maybe something with one of the maintenance items was causing it. Cant see why DSG service would bring MPG down, Tires was thinking maybe but when snows were on I did not notice any change. I run 16 inch steels on Blizacks winter time. Summer tires are back on the 17s, they are Bridgestone's but cant remember the model .