B4 parking brake cables

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
I remembered from last winter that I had issues with parking brake release when the temperature dropped below freezing. Decided to tackle it and replace both cables today since it was so nice outside!

Pulled the old cables out and found one of them felt just fine. The other one was clearly contaminated with water and felt very stiff and gritty - full of rust I would imagine.

The whole operation took under an hour - if you can change your own brake pads, you can replace these cables, it's that easy. Really. Do it now before winter arrives!!

No pics to share, but you'll want a pair of ramps to back the car up onto. You need enough room to lay under it and work.

You'll need 2x retaining clips as the old ones will get destroyed when you remove them. Part number 1H0 609 734 C

And you'll need 2x parking brake cables, part number
3A0-609-721-C

Easy peasy!

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Lupin: On these brake cables, are they the SEDAN or WAGON brake cables, could you let me know?

I have been looing for cables for my B4 WAGON and no luck or ridiculous prices...!

Greaseburger

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta,2011 Tdi sportwgon
I changed mine when I replaced the rear calipers/pads and found the tubes they go through falling apart and rusted, but to my suprise they were very reasonable through the dealer, overall very easy just rusty:eek:

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
bikeprof said:
I have been looing for cables for my B4 WAGON and no luck or ridiculous prices...!
Autohausaz.com lists a cable for $15, but does not specify B4 or B4V.

I looked on vagcat, but they are sometimes only so useful. Maybe someone with ETKA access can chime in.

Tony

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
Tony: Thanks, for all I have done in the research..., the only ones that may fit wil be the 02+ Jetta wagons but the cables are over $90 each!
Maybe I am wrong but that is a LOT of $'sssssssss

John

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
TonyJetta said:
Autohausaz.com lists a cable for $15, but does not specify B4 or B4V.

I looked on vagcat, but they are sometimes only so useful. Maybe someone with ETKA access can chime in.

Tony
Same cable for sedan and wagons in the B4 chassis. Sometimes you need to apply heat to the end where it enters the interior "tube", they get real hung up there occasionally. Plus you've got to remove the center console/armrest to replace the smart end of the cable a 10mm wrench and a deep 1/4" 10mm socket do the trick nicely to handle that end of the cable. I've replaced quite a few of those things, New England isn't nice to them at all.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
JGG,
Thanks for clarifying!

BTW...thanks for the B4 radiator how-to; really makes for a quick condenser change out. 2hrs on Saturday and I was recharging the AC!

Tony

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry for the lack of INFO. about the E-cables that I need...

The vehicle: B4 Variant
rear brakes: A4 aluminum calipers w/above E-brake hook-up(OEM's have the hook-uo on the bottom), therefore needing a LONGER E-brake cable.
Kit comes from www.ECStuning.com and works but no E-cables for the Variant!

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Glad to help TJ.

Bike, sorry but I'm not familiar enough with your scenario, I would think there conversion should be sedan and wagon indifferent since with the OE calipers it's the same cables. Similarly, their kit should work the same on a sedan and a wagon, no?

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, that is what I would have thought...

Somehow, there is a difference that the vendors show, maybe I'll go to the stealership and verify the cables in person :cool: .

Let you know later...

John