Buying a "fixed" Mk6 vs Mk7

golfnoob

TDI
2015 Golf SE
I've been looking into buying a CPO Golf TDI for a while now and was really only looking for 2015s after reading about some issues (intercooler icing, HPFP) in the mk6, but a fully loaded (DSG, tech package) 2012 with about 35k miles recently caught my eye. The dealer wants $13k for it while 2015's with similar features are around the $20k range.

Has the dieselgate fix addressed a lot of the potential issues on the mk6? Or should I spend some more and go for a 2015?

By the way, the carfax on this 2012 lists a few "electrical system checks," is that something I should be concerned about?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The cars are quite different. 2014 and earlier cars are assembled in Germany (if that matters to you) have cloth seating, IRS, and are based on the earlier (2005.5) MKV platform. MKVII cars have leatherette, trailing links in back, and an entirely different engine that uses Adblue (if that matters).

Both run fine post-fix. I prefer the MKVII (owned a '12 Golf and sold it pre-dieselgate) but lots of people like the VI. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either. Drive them both and decide.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The cars are quite different. 2014 and earlier cars are assembled in Germany (if that matters to you) have cloth seating, IRS, and are based on the earlier (2005.5) MKV platform. MKVII cars have leatherette, trailing links in back, and an entirely different engine that uses Adblue (if that matters).

Both run fine post-fix. I prefer the MKVII (owned a '12 Golf and sold it pre-dieselgate) but lots of people like the VI. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either. Drive them both and decide.

Intercooler icing may still be a potential issue on the VI. I never had any problems with my '12. And I wouldn't worry about the electrical system checks.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Your original post said Golf. Jetta Sportwagens (linked ad) are assembled in Mexico, as are all 2015 Golfs (hatch and Sportwagen, they changed the Sportwagen name from Jetta to Golf in 2015).

That's a lot of miles on that car. I'd just confirm it has the 4/48 warranty that comes with the emissions fix.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
FYI: I'm not the OP in this thread. I was wondering about the name change though, thanks for clearing that up. So the Jetta is still a Jetta wagon until 2015, then it becomes a Golf. Gotcha.

To answer your posting... Even if I'm planning on "accidentally" losing those functions at some point? I'm not confident that any warranty is worth the paper it is printed on, I want good performance and overall mileage. I think with a GDE tune that can be achieved.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'm not a big fan of warranties, but what's nice about VW's emission warranty is tt also includes the HPFP and injectors. And the turbo. So even if the other pieces go away, it has value, assuming they'll warranty anything on a deleted car.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
Well as far as the delete goes, I probably wouldn't be doing it right away anyhow... I want to research and understand first. I have no problem with a catalyst b/c I don't want the thing to smell, and if a regen is something that I can either control or somehow work around, then I don't really care. Extra expenses and anything that reduces the mileage, longevity, or performance... THAT I care about.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
subscribed....

started 'window shopping' 2012+ Golf TDI stick....

Coming from a BRM 2006 Jetta TDI with stage 1.5 Malone tune, Now at 297,000km, owned it and tuned it since 2014 with 145,000km

What are the 3 biggest issues with a Mk6 Golf TDI?

Hard to find one with a leather interior and stick....

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Posted by Oilhammer in a recent thread:

Turbochargers.

DPFs.

Pressure sensors (one for the EGR, one for the DPF).

Cylinder pressure sensors (part of the glow plug).

Engine harness.

Intake manifold.

Those are the most common ones I run across.

Lots of reports of failed HPFPs, too, but I have only ever seen a handful of those.

golfnoob

TDI
2015 Golf SE
So I ended up going with a 2015 Golf SE. 15k before fees with about 43k miles. Not the best deal but oh well. Just need to get the DSG service done.

INSW20

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT
still a pretty good deal. enjoy your new car! post pictures when you can.