Rear brake scraping - old and new brakes!

elicon200

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI
Hello. I just replaced my rear brakes on my 2001 Golf. I did this because I was getting excessive scraping noise and that fact that I found it smoking after a drive. The old pads were not wearing evenly and had groves - though that previous owner just replaced pads not rotors.

After new brake are on, I hear the same scraping on corners. Jacked up car and it looks like the hub or brake carriage is warped?! This doesn't fit into a "bad bearing" scenario since I don't hear rumbling at all.

Any ideas?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
The first thing I would do is to jack up the offending wheel and give it agood yank in all directions to check for any play, sometimes the bearing can be really loose but not make a grinding noise.:)

elicon200

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI
The brake is releasing fine and there is no play in the wheel. With the wheel jacked up, it spins freely BUT every revolution has a small area where there is no pad-on-disc. With the wheel off, it appears that the metal braket that hold the pads is what is scraping. I've never seen this before. The pads themselves are not the problem.

Mountaineer51

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I am dealing with the exact same problem here on the rear of 01 jetta. I think the bolts that go into the bracket that holds the caliper on are bent. I have been hearing the same scraping noise too.

elicon200

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI
Did you change out your rear brakes? If so how was the wear on the disc? Starting to look at brake parts for replacement but don't how crazy I want to get - depends if this continually wreck the brakes...

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline
did you lube the slider pins when you installed the new pads?

Other possibilities: warped rotor (common), bent spindle or splash shield rubbing on rotor

elicon200

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI
Volks27:
Not a warped rotor - would think so of the old but not the new and same occassional scraping. As for the pins, I don't think there are any in the rear -just the bolts to attach the caliper.

elicon200

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI
Ok will do. But the part that is rubbing against the rotor sometimes, is the bracket that holds the pads in place - and that thing is fixed in place. I will check the pins again.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
did you lube the slider pins when you installed the new pads?

Other possibilities: warped rotor (common), bent spindle or splash shield rubbing on rotor
what he said, too many times lubing the caliper pins are over looked!

remove, clean, relube