Aux Fuel Tank

hobojoker

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk1 Rabbit, Mk4 Golf TDI (partout!), MK6 Golf TDI, MK2 Scirocco -> TDI,
I've looked a bit and haven't found this. Has anyone mounted a spare/aux fuel tank in their car? I thought it would be cool to mount a 15 gallon tank that flows freely into the main tank (or by electric pump on demand). It'd just be fun to have that much range! Just as long as the fumes don't make you pass out :p

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone has done this.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
the was an aux tank for the mk1 that fits in the spare tire well. Also Grease car sells an overpriced spare tire tank for the mk1.

I plant to eventually make one for my race car.

I don't think you will want it. diesel fuel stinks and why introduce that inside the car where you are. Besides your fuel range will be over 500 miles with a 13 gallon tank, thats more then your bladder can handle and probably more then a week's commuting.

I had a 1000 range in my other tdi corrado and I scaled back to 600 miles in my current setup.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Back in the old days when finding fuel could be a problem, tanks that filled the spare tyre spot were not uncommon. Today it is easier to find fuel and I have not seen much about about them recently.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I sometimes take a high quality squat six gallon jug in the trunk. It is low enough that it will not tip over unless I roll the car. Also there is enough stuff in the trunk on these trips to keep it from sliding around. Did that after driving around Miami looking for fuel at 2am. Scary place at night with fuel light on. Made it from NC to MIA without stopping. Got to MIA and there were NO diesel stations open. Stupid on my part I know to get in that situation. The little jug now gives me peace, knowing I can again be stupid and not be stuck.

It takes no real effort to pull off and pour it in. After the trip, just take it out of the trunk. A permanent tank sounds like a bad idea. It just clogs your trunk, might leak and stink, requires tangling with installed tank and fittings, etc. Way too much downside to that. Just get a jug.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
I carry an empty jerry can around. 5 Gallon I think. If I'm making a long, and obvously over 700 mile trip I'll fill it 3/4 the way and head out.

Other than that, what's the point. You'll have to pee before you run out of fuel anyway.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I carry a gallon of dextron (ATF/PS for GM cars) behind my DS seat for reserve fuel. It doesn't smell and is in a sealed container. Its a little more ashy then diesel but it will work in a pinch.