www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

View Poll Results: Which AMSOIL?
Premium API CJ-4 Diesel Oil (DEO) 100 28.25%
European Car Formula Motor Oil (AFL) 254 71.75%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18th, 2011, 11:00   #1501
Crows Synthetics

TDI(s): 2009 Jeta
Fuel Economy: 38-42
Post Announcing a Full Synthetic At current Petroleum prices.

Hello to All.

Here is hot off the presses announcing a Synthetic which can fit all user needs, (Diesel and Gas), and At current Petroleum CJ-4 specs, and Backward compatible as a Fuel efficient and standard Drain lube product.

AMSOIL OE 15W-40 Synthetic Diesel Oil provides excellent protection and performance in both on- and off-road diesel engines for the original equipment manufacturer’s recommended drain interval. It meets API CJ-4 specifications and is suitable for both modern and older diesel applications. AMSOIL OE 15W-40 Synthetic Diesel Oil exceeds the higher performance demands of modern engines and withstands the stress of heat, soot and acids to help prevent deposits, wear and corrosion.

At $4.67 Qt. /$ 18.67 Gal. Delivered in 55 Gal lots, this is approaching Cl/CL spec lubes, and has met specs for all engine drain intervals. Designed to allow users to maintain current servicing schedules for all component intervals, it offers the confidence of a true synthetic from the company that introduced the First A. P.I. Synthetics to consumers in 1972.\

NOTE: There are several new oils as well.

Break-In Oil (SAE 30)Designed for High-Performance and Racing Engines

Z-ROD 10W-30 and 20W-50 specially engineered for classic and high-performance vehicles.

Allow me to assist your operations in reducing Maintenance costs and extending the life of your Components and the range of the fuel you pay for with cash.

OE 15W-40 Synthetic Diesel Oil (OED)
Formulated for Excellent Diesel Engine Protection and Performance
See Pricing Information or Place an Order
Package sizes include:
1-Quart Bottle
1-Quart Bottles (case of 12)
1-Gallon Bottle
1-Gallon Bottles (case of 4)
2.5-Gallon Bottle
2.5-Gallon Bottles (case of 2)
30-Gallon Drum
55-Gallon Drum

AMSOIL OE 15W-40 Synthetic Diesel Oil provides excellent protection and performance in both on- and off-road diesel engines for the original equipment manufacturer’s recommended drain interval. It meets API CJ-4 specifications and is suitable for both modern and older diesel applications. AMSOIL OE 15W-40 Synthetic Diesel Oil exceeds the higher performance demands of modern engines and withstands the stress of heat, soot and acids to help prevent deposits, wear and corrosion.
AMSOIL, the leader in automotive synthetic lubrication, produced the world’s first API-qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL, The First in Synthetics®, to do the best job protecting your engine.

Bill Crow
Don’t be a victim of big oil Propaganda
Bill Crow - Amsoil Direct Distributor
ZO # 1176229
1251 Reiker Ford Rd.
St Clair MO 63077
1-636-629-8033
E-mail - Bill@FreeOilHelp.com
www.FreeOilHelp.com
www.BillsOilHelp.com

Last edited by Crows Synthetics; May 18th, 2011 at 16:24. Reason: added info
Crows Synthetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 12:09   #1502
milehighassassin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43

Nothing like spamming us with a complete copy and paste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clear-bra, Tint, VR6/G60 Clutch Combo, EuroJet SMIC, Custom Lower intercooler Pipe, VNT-17, Panzer Plate
Custom 3" turbo-back exhaust
milehighassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:28   #1503
LGV2001
Veteran Member

Milehigh, I have been using AME in my Duramax with good results. I tow a gooseneck trailer with a GVW of 23K in 100 degree weather and several reports of very low wear metals...8-11 PPM iron @ 12K miles. AME 14.2 @ 100 is thinner than DEO 14.6 @ 100 but the HSTS is higher at 4.3 to 4.0.

In your TDI you might look at AMO which has lots of zinc with 14.6 @100 and HTST of 4.3. I just changed my ALH to this hoping to get 300K out of the cam.
LGV2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 13:51   #1504
milehighassassin
Veteran Member

I am about 1500 miles away from a uoa on the DEO that I have been running.

I think the deo is a quality oil. My oil temp concern is egt related. Thicker oil would be a bandaide solution I think.

We've had good luck with the 15w40 marine in the duramax. Recently switched it to DEO because it doesn't tow a lot anymore. It sees limited heavy towing and a lot of highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clear-bra, Tint, VR6/G60 Clutch Combo, EuroJet SMIC, Custom Lower intercooler Pipe, VNT-17, Panzer Plate
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:50   #1505
XFIRE

TDI(s): 2011 Golf
Fuel Economy: 37
Default New Golf TDI - lubricant information

As a brand new happy TDI owner, I was hoping to find this forum filled with factual information on maintenance and care related to synthetic engine lubricants; Amsoil included. Instead it seems like I stumbled upon a hornet's nest of "rant & raves" of argumentative folks. I was under the impression that the forum was a means of exchanging intelligent, helpful information and experiences. Hopefully I can be guided to the correct area.
XFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 11:27   #1506
Crows Synthetics

Thumbs up

I agree with you I am posting info and it seems as though it is not what they want.
I do use the paste feature as i am missing some fingers and it is much easier for me.

Bill Crow - Amsoil Direct Distributor

Amsoil on Line Store
ZO # 1176229
1251 Reiker Ford Rd.
St Clair MO 63077
1-636-629-8033
E-mail - Bill@FreeOilHelp.com
www.FreeOilHelp.com
www.BillsOilHelp.com

Old May 25th, 2011, 12:15   #1507
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

No, you are posting sales pitch info and not real world UOA data. Every oil says how great it is on the package, would you expect them to say what harm the oil does to your engine instead?

Even Prothe looks good to the layperson...

Be honest and back up your claims, then people will respond to you better.

I would like to see the UOA on the '96 Passat with the 50K OCI's, but then again, 278K isn't all that much for a TDI these days.

Last edited by Abacus; May 25th, 2011 at 12:25.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 13:56   #1508
Crows Synthetics

I don't have control of IOA if the customer don't provide one as you I would love to see the IOA myself.
The fact he has 278K doing 50K OCI's should be at least an eye opener. At some point I stoped questing the product as I have seen so many testimonials I over came my fears.

Try this link 570k miles when the odometer quit. On the same link the Explorer at 570k the guy has a delivery buss. I have racing testimonials as well.

At some point I decided to get on the train and enjoy the benefits of Amsoil product.

I have several IOA of my truck on at 29k on a PSD.

Bill

Old May 27th, 2011, 01:40   #1509
DPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5- 47 Forester, Citroen 55- 63

Do *you* recommend OED for VW TDIs?
DPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 06:09   #1510
cheezy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: NB-52.6, B4-37 city on 2 yo fuel!?

You are in the correct area for Amsoil informations per your car.

So, I'll explain the hornet's nest phenomenon a little bit: in most internet forums there are now anti-Amsoil people whose intent it is to take reasonable conversations into personal rants, in order to shut down the threads. Their motives are varied from random anger of a bad day to carrying a personal vendetta against certain Amsoil sales people. Don't let these few people deter your curiosity.

I have been an Amsoil Direct sales person for over 10 years now, and here is the extent of my soapbox, as I do not sell the stuff for profit; get the correct application for your use and it works. I've used their products in motorcycles I raced professionally, chainsaws and 2-stroke dirt bikes, gas vehicles, and diesel vehicles. Take a look at the posts by "Tooslick" and "Bob Fouts" and you'll likely find excellent info. for your vehicle.

Their gear lubes are great as well; the older TDIs use GL-4 spec'd lubes, and I'm not sure what the newer ones run (GL-5s maybe?), as we haven't bought newer TDIs yet. Finding the products can sometimes be a hassle and that is why I became a "Dealer" many years ago; it comes to my doorstep. Have fun with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFIRE View Post
As a brand new happy TDI owner, I was hoping to find this forum filled with factual information on maintenance and care related to synthetic engine lubricants; Amsoil included. Instead it seems like I stumbled upon a hornet's nest of "rant & raves" of argumentative folks. I was under the impression that the forum was a means of exchanging intelligent, helpful information and experiences. Hopefully I can be guided to the correct area.
cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 10:56   #1511
TooSlick
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Audi 100S

Mile High.

A 5w-40, HD diesel oil (CJ-4/SM rated), is plenty thick for a TDI, even with lots of towing. For example, the DEO formulation is ~ 10% thicker than a typical VW 502.00/505.01 Spec oil. As someone mentioned, you could also run the Amsoil 10w-40/AMO, which is about 8% thicker than the DEO, 5w-40. I like to test things, so I'd probably try several different Amsoil formulations (5w-40/10w-40/15w-40),and have them analyzed after 10k. But I expect the results would be so similar that it might be a wasted effort.

TS
TooSlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 13:38   #1512
milehighassassin
Veteran Member

Thanks Ted,

I have been pretty happy with DEO, I was just concerned with the long pulls under full load and high EGT's might be doing a number on the oil. UOA very shortly. Although the oil that is in there now has not experienced a lot of towing. Some light winter towing but that is all. In the winter the temps never get as high as they do in the summer.

I am coming up on 10k on this oil. I was planning a UOA and a oil filter change for good measure. At around $6 for a filter it seems silly not to.
Old May 30th, 2011, 07:46   #1513
Crows Synthetics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPM View Post

I am sorry if no one has responded to your Question.

I would not recomend any of the OE oil with out IOA's in the TDI's.

The truth they just might work but you have two oil for the TDI's why go with a oil that is not stated it is for the spec oil.

Bill

Old May 30th, 2011, 08:51   #1514
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows Synthetics View Post
I am sorry if no one has responded to your Question.

I would not recomend any of the OE oil with out IOA's in the TDI's.

The truth they just might work but you have two oil for the TDI's why go with a oil that is not stated it is for the spec oil.

Bill
For places with mild winters, this outta work for pre-CR TDIs. OED is a CJ-4 synthetic oil. For those TDIs that allow API CH-4 and better (VEs), there's no issue using this oil. PDs have run well with CI-4+/CJ-4 oils (Amsoil DEO, M1 TDT, D1, D1 ESP, T6), so this should work in PDs also.
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:32   #1515
Crows Synthetics

FYI he might of seen we have a OED for diesels it is a CJ4 oil.
Bill