A4 2.0TDI 170bhp

audi4life

Hi, i just got my new one of these today. has anyone else out there got one so that we can compare first impressions ?

Rustynuts

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta 2.0ltr Sport TDI
Just for information, it looks as though the 2.0ltr PD 170 is no different to the PD 140 engine, except for injectors adjusted and boost increased. Possibly cheaper to buy the 140 and chip it, however you lose the warranty.

audi4life

sorry , didnt mean to be cruel but it gets worse!
this is the best 4 cylinder diesel ive ever driven.it revs as freely as a petrol engine and the power is tremendous. i have just 900km on it so far so it isnt even run in yet. will tell more soon

Passenger Performance

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
83 caddy, soon to be quattro tdi
Rustynuts said:
Just for information, it looks as though the 2.0ltr PD 170 is no different to the PD 140 engine, except for injectors adjusted and boost increased. Possibly cheaper to buy the 140 and chip it, however you lose the warranty.

No, the pd170 has 16 valves, unlike the 8 we are stuck with here in north america.

Rustynuts

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta 2.0ltr Sport TDI
Passenger Performance said:
No, the pd170 has 16 valves, unlike the 8 we are stuck with here in north america.
Sorry, I meant in comparison to the PD140 we have in the UK. Our version of the 140 has the same 16 valves, while yours gets the 8 valve head.

Damn shame we get all the good stuff, eh?:)

audi4life

A ban,oh no, would that mean I have to leave ?
oh well it was fun while it lasted.
before I go its worth noting that this 170 engine is so much smoother than all the previous models ive had i think there must be some other modifications to it.by the way im not some johnny come lately ive had the following,`85 jetta 1.6idi, `90 audi 80 1.6TD, `92 audi 1.9tdi, `95A4 TDI, `OO A4TDI, `04A4TDI 130, All bought new and all covered 40k to 60k miles per year.
I like my diesels !
can I stay ?

Last edited:

spelchek

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Golf 2.0l TDI
Rustynuts said:
Sorry, I meant in comparison to the PD140 we have in the UK. Our version of the 140 has the same 16 valves, while yours gets the 8 valve head.

Damn shame we get all the good stuff, eh?:)
Same in oz , rusty.. and dont forget, we also get the 6 speed manual :)

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
Mileage figures?

(And can you give this in Amurrcan - miles per gallon or kilos per liter? The whole liter per kilometer thing baffles me... being an Amurrcan....)

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5
I have no qualms with your stay here as long as the same car arrives at my work on the back of a semi truck in 4-6 weeks.

You will recieve payment through my uncle's estate in Africa.

audi4life

MPG for AUDI A4 2.0TDI 170bhp

:) After 6000km(3600miles) im getting 47 mpg.
Car is being driven pretty hard with no effort to save fuel.
No problems so far.
Highest speed so far 180kph(110mph) @ less than 3000rpm in 6th with the feeling that there was a hell of a lot more. Claimed top speed of 142mph seems very attainable.
There seems to be a distinct lack of power from 1000rpm to 2000rpm compared to previous 1.9tdi 130bhp and this requires an adjustment to driving style. However beyond 2500rpm this car is so much faster than any diesel ive driven. In 3rd and 4th gears it is almost a little scary when "having a go" on twisty country roads. This car will go forward so quickly it could catch you out if not prepared.
"Sportline" package has much stiffer spring/damper setup coupled with 235/45/17 tyres makes her handle great.
Thats all for now.

TDIfor said:
Mileage figures?

(And can you give this in Amurrcan - miles per gallon or kilos per liter? The whole liter per kilometer thing baffles me... being an Amurrcan....)