Delete egr or fix pipe

Diesel_K82

TDI
2004 Jetta
Long time TDI admirer and I recently stumbled on 2004 BEW 5 speed with 220k on the clock. It appears the lower egr line is leaking exhaust. Previous owner swapped it out at 215k, but already cracked again. Thoughts on deleting egr vs fixing pipe again?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Mine's deleted, PD engines still warms up quickly, ALH's don't like egr deletes. If you have no emission testing, then delete it, but you'll need a tune as well otherwise the CEL will be on. While your at it, have them turn off the smart actuator.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Could you help me out, what is the smart actuator?
Turbo actuator on a BEW has an electric sensor that fails, buts it still activated by vacuum, just like the ALH. Its expensive, so its cheaper to turn the light off with a tune. ;)

Gippeto

TDI
2003 Jetta sedan
Turbo actuator on a BEW has an electric sensor that fails, buts it still activated by vacuum, just like the ALH. Its expensive, so its cheaper to turn the light off with a tune. ;)
This "tune" you speak of...is it just turning off the check engine light or is there an actual adjustment of engine operating parameters/maps?

Why does the ALH not "like" an EGR delete?

Al

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
The various commercial tuners offer performance enhancing tunes that can delete
the CEL after an EGR delete if asked to do so.

The ALH will warm up faster with the EGR in place and active. This is helpful in colder climates.

Gippeto

TDI
2003 Jetta sedan
Due to EGR cooler scavenging some heat then?

Does warm up pretty slow. 10min idling @-26C, radiator blocked off...and still takes 20km of highway driving (110km/h) to warm up enough for thermostat to open. COLD blooded little beastie. ;)

Al

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
If its a daily driver and you live in colder winter areas, repair it, if your local state laws prohibit alteration of emissions, repair it, Federal law requires you keep it and repair it if you drive it on public roads and or have it tagged. On the other hand live in only warm areas, delete it. only race it, trailer it around, delete it, want less parts, more room, delete it, if you your states does not emission tests diesel cars, delete it if you must.

i would keep it and repair it properly this time around. Only because its going to cost you more to delete it with a tune to fix the EGR CEL

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How’s your mpg after delete?
My mpg's on my wagon have never really changed, no matter what I do, its around 32 mpg.

This "tune" you speak of...is it just turning off the check engine light or is there an actual adjustment of engine operating parameters/maps?
Why does the ALH not "like" an EGR delete?
Al
A tune can be either a few simple things like turning off this or that or a full tune that modify's fuel, timing etc for more power.

ALH's and BEW's use coolant to cool the egr system down, but the ALH really needs that heat for some reason, it helps the engine warm up faster and keep the temp there when idling.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If its a daily driver and you live in colder winter areas, repair it, if your local state laws prohibit alteration of emissions, repair it, Federal law requires you keep it and repair it if you drive it on public roads and or have it tagged. On the other hand live in only warm areas, delete it. only race it, trailer it around, delete it, want less parts, more room, delete it, if you your states does not emission tests diesel cars, delete it if you must.

i would keep it and repair it properly this time around. Only because its going to cost you more to delete it with a tune to fix the EGR CEL
Says the man that is modding the crap out of his car, making it have totally more tailpipe emission's that stock. ;)

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I'm wondering if the OP's broken pipes is due to a missing bracket. Not sure which pipe has the bracket that the dealers failed to reinstall after a recall way back when.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
HAHA, true! Do as i say, not as a do, i should say!

LOL, at least you have a sense of humour, hoping you would take it that way, :cool:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
yea man, no i know my TDI is a joke, its FUN and has a reason to be so, after i got into autocross im like, screw it, give me as much smoke as i can, with my 4,800 watt 2x12" subs, 165dB Trainhorns, 6 HID's and TONS OF SMOKE it turns heads for the right reasons, it tickes people off or makes them jump when i hit the horns lol, thanks horn blasters!