License plate security bolts

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I bought some security bolts for the license plates on my two cars but the threads don't "jibe".

Anybody know where to buy the proper items for a good price?
tnx

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
Any decent hardware store should sell them. Just be sure to bring one of your original bolts into the store, so you can figure out what the thread pitch is.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
my plates got stolen when in a store for only 30 min, called them in and they already had a robbery reported with them- got new plates, then I went to ace hardware and picked up stainless * head bolts and used rubber O rings behind the plate to space the plate away from the trunk paint.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I like that o-ring idea. I have paint damage on the front bumper from the plates. I am trying not to be too up-tight about these things any more but jeepers

madmedix

TDI
Passat
I also dabbed a small amount of silicone on each corner of the licence plate front before pressing on the plate protector so it doesn't chatter either. Comes off fairly easily so the buffer doesn't hit it..

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice. I put cabinet door bumpers but not until after the damage was done. I had put little foam pads before hand but they slipped out of place. Damage was done before I realized they slipped.