Engine Noise after Timing Belt Change

broncorox

TDI
02 jetta
Ok, Here is a little background
Last week I had a pulsing in the engine. After talking to the local (90miles away) VW dealer and reading a couple post I changed the Flywheel and clutch in my 02 jetta. After the install the engine started much quicker but was a little louder at idle while in neutral. When I pushed the clutch in sounded normal. No slipping, nothing loose. However, it still had a pulse. This week I started changing the timing belt.

Here is were I am at. The belt change went Ok, aside from not being able to see the timing marks on the Sach flywheel. When I started the engine the first couple times, everything was fine.
So, I went to eat, grabbed the cable and computer and went back to set it with Vag-com.
Now when I start it OMG, it sounds like the piston is ready to bust through the head. It still rev's ups and pretty quick at about 2000 it sounds about normal.

What is going on???

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
There is a TDC mark on the harmonic balancer too. Confirm it's at TDC.

broncorox

TDI
02 jetta
I'm sure that it was dead nuts on TDC. I checked it three times before putting it back together.
I am going to pull the valve cover back off this evening and see if the cam sprocket slipped.

I could see the timing marks on the flywheel with a mirror but wow, whoever stamps these things has never put one in.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
It's real important to rotate the engine around by hand at least twice and re-check using the cam and IP locks to make sure no slack in the belt was taken up and fubarred your indexing. In many cases, no starts are due to the IP lock pin being improperly inserted and the IP is out of time.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
broncorox said:
Now when I start it OMG, it sounds like the piston is ready to bust through the head. It still rev's ups and pretty quick at about 2000 it sounds about normal.
Leaking injector sounds like sledgehammer coming through the side of the block, CLANG!, CLANG! CLANG!. I had one that it would quiet down with higher rpm... but that was a IDI.

But... double triple and quadruple check cam timing, ect.

broncorox

TDI
02 jetta
Just finished, and confirmed that the timing is still set right. It only turns over about a half a revolution before it fires off. Rev's well, still makes a awful noise from idle to 2000 and 3000 to 4500.

Between 2000 and 3000 it gets quiet.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Quit running it until you figure it out.

Could be a bad pump.....any number of things....

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
broncorox said:
Just finished, and confirmed that the timing is still set right. It only turns over about a half a revolution before it fires off. Rev's well, still makes a awful noise from idle to 2000 and 3000 to 4500.

Between 2000 and 3000 it gets quiet.
confirmed in vagcom or with the tdc mark on the flywheel (of if you are unsure of the mark, the one on the harmonic balancer) and the cam lock?

broncorox

TDI
02 jetta
Finally back together. Flywheel came loose.
After taking the head off, found nothing, took it to oilhammer found nothing.
Freak coincidence.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
If it was running fine before the belt without the noise, its the belt and nothing else!

Redo

Havokk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
i am also thinking reused or incorrectly torqued (if at all) bolts. What did you torque the flywheel bolts down too? the sound must of sent chills down your spine! Could it be that you finger tighten everything on and simply forgot to go back and torque them down?

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Do you even have to mess with the flywheel BOLTS to do a TB change?

Or is this the result of the dealer's installation of the clutch that ended up being loose?

Confused...

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
andreigbs said:
Do you even have to mess with the flywheel BOLTS to do a TB change?

Or is this the result of the dealer's installation of the clutch that ended up being loose?

Confused...
1) No.

2) According to his first post (#1) he, owner, changed flywheel back in April. Cann't blame stuff on the stealership that they didn't even do.

Probably just didn't torque bolts or they freakishly came loose.
It has long been a fear of mine because when I replaced the engine in the "wreck" I had to swap out the flywheel, etc. off the original engine and don't remenber final torque job on that stuff. That was 45K ago, so must have, but it still worries me.:(

Last edited:

broncorox

TDI
02 jetta
Just to clean this ordeal up, the flywheel was very snug on the crank hub, the new bolts supplied already had locktight on them. It looks as if the flywheel was not quite seated all the way. The bolts were torqued to proper spec, but it was not enough to pull the flywheel against the hub.
Sorry it took 2 years to get back to this.