How do I mount tires on rims myself (old school way)

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I'm not diasgreeing with you in theory (I don't know enough about it to be able to). Like you , I have a friend who runs a medium size tire shop (~$1M in tire sales), and it's what he has used for years. I don't know the relative cost of soap vs tire lube, but will ask him. For some of the big ag or construction tires that require 4 people to install, he has a 5 gallon bucket of blue smurf $hit that is used, but for everything else it's soap. I've seen lots of corrosion from the outside in, but almost never from the inside unless it's a tubed farm tire run in the poop all the time. Air filled as well.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
I'm not diasgreeing with you in theory (I don't know enough about it to be able to). Like you , I have a friend who runs a medium size tire shop (~$1M in tire sales), and it's what he has used for years. I don't know the relative cost of soap vs tire lube, but will ask him. For some of the big ag or construction tires that require 4 people to install, he has a 5 gallon bucket of blue smurf $hit that is used, but for everything else it's soap. I've seen lots of corrosion from the outside in, but almost never from the inside unless it's a tubed farm tire run in the poop all the time. Air filled as well.
Not that I want to hijack this thread, but in my experience, a LOT of industries do things, and even do things with complete approval that are extremely wrong. My own pulpit is regarding rebar in concrete: 100% guarantee of failure. Civil engineers use textbooks and tables and computer programmes to build structures that are 100% wrong and destined to fail. Meanwhile, almost everyone misses that Roman concrete structures seem to last centuries, whereas we have trouble with decades.

Sorry for the rant, but that is what I see in several industries regarding what common practice is vs. what is technically correct to do.