Diesel Prices Summer 2012

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Here in the CPR, diesel is higher than premium gasoline. It is already at $4.27 where I usually fill up; the Shell station near me was over $4.30 the last time I looked. So I expect $5.00 by June.
This morning my normal station is up to $4.46; I think the Shell station has gone over the $4.60 level.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I had the diesel tank at my house filled last week at $4.15/gallon because I saw prices headed higher quickly. I usually pay about $.10 over pump prices to have it delivered, and it's legit premium diesel, 46 cetane. Local pump prices are $4.09-$4.29 right now. I'm been filling my cars at the local Shell with my supermarket card and paying $3.79, except for the '12 which I want to continue to fill from a known supply as long as possible.

The killer for me is paying $4.09 for home heating oil. I use a lot more of that than diesel. I'm shopping for a better wood stove for next season.

Dieselfitter

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI with DSG
Heating Season is over soon ***?

The 'excuse' last fall was the 'heating season'

Now that it is spring, time for a different 'excuse', I guess !

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The 'excuse' last fall was the 'heating season'

Now that it is spring, time for a different 'excuse', I guess !
Latest reason given was that "someone FARTED at a refinery" :eek: Price of fuel went up $0.02 per liter overnight....:mad:

MrVermin

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Latest reason given was that "someone FARTED at a refinery" :eek: Price of fuel went up $0.02 per liter overnight....:mad:

MrVermin
That is less than $0.08 per gallon - I wish the rise was that SLOW here in the CPR.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I had the diesel tank at my house filled last week at $4.15/gallon because I saw prices headed higher quickly. I usually pay about $.10 over pump prices to have it delivered, and it's legit premium diesel, 46 cetane. Local pump prices are $4.09-$4.29 right now. I'm been filling my cars at the local Shell with my supermarket card and paying $3.79, except for the '12 which I want to continue to fill from a known supply as long as possible.

The killer for me is paying $4.09 for home heating oil. I use a lot more of that than diesel. I'm shopping for a better wood stove for next season.
If wood is your fuel of choice, invest in one of these... Daka Wood Furnace

Whitbread has one in his shop and it's amazing. I think he picked it up from Menard's for under a grand.

I work at a night club that was built in the 50s with zero insulation and single pane windows. They heat with oil and a large wood fireplace that probably increases the heat loss of the building. Oil bill is close to $1000/week ($20/hour) in the winter - I'm trying to talk them into getting one or two Dakas... they have an unlimited source of free firewood - WHY NOT?? They are still resisting change. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
I can still find diesel under $4.00 a gallon in NJ but across the river it's $4.25 and climbing. East coast is likely in for an expensive summer with a few major refineries closing in the Philadelphia, PA area. Sunoco is closing the Philly and Marcus Hook refineries and Conoco Phillips is closing their refinery in Trainer... Note to self: Replace oil fired boiler this summer...

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Some refineries are closing because they are not profitable. Plus, many in the U.S. are antiquated and upgrading is difficult as air emission permits are not easy to get and the government bogs them down for years before approval.

The majors, what few we have left here in the U.S., are getting out of downstream assets (refineries, retail stations) since most of their profits are made in crude oil production. Pipelines are "regulated by DOT" so you pay the going *government* freight costs.

So you will see more independents (Valero, Tosco, Lukoil (Russian), etc) taking over the retail refining and sales. Citgo is about 100% owned by Chavez (PEDVESA) and much of the old Texaco is Saudi Refining (Motiva, Star Enterprise, etc).

Blame the majors? Not really....

Sergeant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (Sold)
Dieselfitter said:
I Like HUGO CHAVEZ! end of.
Chavez is a monster. You can't even walk on the street with a ring on and not get shot. Fuel is cheap, food and pretty much anything else is way expensive.

IndigoBlueWagon said:

What kind of tank do you have? How long can you store diesel in it?

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It's a 275 gallon tank typically used for home heating oil. I forget the maker, but it's double-walled and looks like a big squared off soda can. I have a pump with a regular fuel hose and a meter on it. I guess you could store fuel indefinitely, but my understanding is that ULSD starts to deteriorate after 6 months or so. I probably fill it 3 times a year, depending on how often my kids are around, as they always want fuel before they leave.

I like it because I feel I get more consistent fuel quality, I can dose the whole tank with Stanadyne and B5, and I get a tax break for using alternative fuels. And it's convenient.

acrossthepond

Veteran Member
TDI
several now 2016 Mk7 Golf GTD DSG
The price of diesel here is shattering the £1.50 per litre level ($2.38 per litre equiv.)
Our extortionate prices are made up of 58% duty & tax, the highest level of tax in the EU.
It really is having an effect on peoples lives together with the recession & spiralling prices generally.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sunday I filed up Cranberry (tank was at 1/4) 13.45 gal for $60; I also filled up the Prius (fuel gauge was at 2 pips) 8.45 gal for $35.

Sergeant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (Sold)
WHO told you Chavez is a monster? Faux News! Maybe he is, maybe he is not. But . . . just how do you know what you think you know?

I have close friends from Venezuela. They constantly tell me stories that would make your skin crawl. He's a bad guy, trust me on that one. He is literally letting the country go to ****. FYI, I don't play the rightie-leftie game.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I was talking to a friend yesterday who drives an F150 and he was commenting that we are probably the last group of people that should complain about fuel prices, since the relative impact on us is lower than for just about any other vehicle.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Highest I paid for diesel was back in 08 (?) was $5.25/gal.

Almost got rid of our truck when it was $170 or so to fill it. Realized it was still cheaper than a car payment each month, and we don't drive it all that much.

I don't think we will get that high this time around.....

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Highest I paid for diesel was back in 08 (?) was $5.25/gal.

Almost got rid of our truck when it was $170 or so to fill it. Realized it was still cheaper than a car payment each month, and we don't drive it all that much.

I don't think we will get that high this time around.....
I remember those fuel bills... took 3 swipes of the debit card to fill the F-350. Pumps around here usually stop at $74 or $75.

Lee Braselton

TDI
2001 Jetta - this one got totaled @ 222k miles, now have 2003 with 168K
My TDI runs on green energy, It take a lot of energy to earn all the green that it takes to buy the energy that is in the diesel fuel. Paid $3.88/gal in North Georgia last week. :(

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Bora gone. 2006 Benz CDI 235hp 420ftlbstq
Back in 08 there where a few people that wanted fuel to get to five dollars a gallon to get the SUV's off the road here on this web site.
From what I see here people understand that its just not the cost of filling a gas tank its everything else that the cost of fuel impacts.
And the people that can not affort it the most is the ones that are hurt the most when they have to pay for food or fuel.
The bad part is a barrel of oil was $150 back then and its just $108 to $109 today.
So what I want to know is where is the disconnect on the fuel prices and the gallon of fuel?

Dieselfitter

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI with DSG
WHO told you Chavez is a monster? Faux News! Maybe he is, maybe he is not. But . . . just how do you know what you think you know?
Brainwashing by the Mainstream Media. Lies Lies Lies !

I'm off to Cayo Largo Cuba at the end of March for 7 days vacation.

Last edited:

jkowalski

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Premium 6MT
The current "bubble" in crude price has been caused by unrest in Iran ... and of course mostly wealthy speculators. There is always a possibly that the "bubble" will burst causing oil prices collapse before summer ... or perhaps after. This wouldn't be the first time in recent history that a run up in price unrelated to demand has ended in a price collapse.
Remember spring/summer of '08?
Because of a deployment, I "missed" paying over $4/gallon - I paid something like $3.89 before I left, and it was still going up, and when I got back, it was below $2.

Granted, it was connected right in the time of that recession, but the price collapsed pretty quick.

megzin

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
The guy who sold me my car said that diesel prices wouldn't rise with gas prices. Yet every time gas goes up, diesel goes right up with it. What's the deal? Guess I shouldn't have believed that sales pitch (though i would've bought the car anyway).

Also, is biodiesel typically cheaper? I think there's one station in my area that carries it. It's OK to use in my 2010 Jetta TDI, right? If so, do i have to completely clear out my tank of the previous diesel fuel used?

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The guy who sold me my car said that diesel prices wouldn't rise with gas prices. Yet every time gas goes up, diesel goes right up with it. What's the deal? Guess I shouldn't have believed that sales pitch (though i would've bought the car anyway).

Also, is biodiesel typically cheaper? I think there's one station in my area that carries it. It's OK to use in my 2010 Jetta TDI, right? If so, do i have to completely clear out my tank of the previous diesel fuel used?
Nope around here it's like 20% more when it comes to b20. What a joke. Nope just add bio and go. You'll need to change out your fuel filter sooner though, bio will clean out your tank of crud in a few tanks. I wouldn't use more than b5 on the 2010.