Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

N_D_v_22101

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MK4 2001 -REFLEX SILVER and now a MK5 JETTA Platinum Grey NON-TDI Tho.
All-

I've got an interesting story for all 'yal.

This past w/e, when I was filling up my baby (what do you think I was talking about - duh, my Golf), a Mercedes Benz was waiting for the pump...

To make a long story short, when I was ready to pull out of the station, the guy in the Benz asked me what I was pouring into my tank, and I said it's the Power Source (or was it Power Service?). I added that it "increase cetane rating by up to 6 points....." He then replied and said that he uses the Amsoil equivalent.

He also blurted out that "your motor run so quietly"...then I laughed and pulled away, and made sure that the spool of the turbo can be heard.

Anyone with similar stories? Share'm all here!

P.S. Anyone with pros and cons of either Amsoil or Power Source (Service) products?!

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
I've seen a couple of Mercedes owners at the stops but they haven't been very conversational.

On the other hand, quite a few Dodge/Cummins drivers have spotted the diesel nozzle going in and have asked me what kind of mileage I get.

To date, nobody has told me to stop putting diesel in my car.

I was refueling my plane two weeks ago and mentioned the diesel aircraft engines that run on Jet A and the line guy said he wanted to get a TDI. Smart fellow! I told him to check out tdiclub.com.

Nitejav

Veteran Member
TDI
NiteJav
Was about to fill up once, and a guy by a trans-am yelled over at me and told me it was diesel pump and not to put it my car. I told him I know and this car is a diesel car. It was a pretty funny scene he looked like a real tool in front of his gf. (she was laughing at him, and saying something about him thinking he knew a lot about cars etc) He asked what kind of milage I get and then I told him that I average about 700 to 800 miles on a tank, then he asked me how big the tank is and I told him it was around 15 gallons. Then he said he wished his got that kind of milage. He filled up got in his car and left. I was still sitting there venting so i can squeeze some more fuel in the tank.

manapy

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 A4 Jetta TDI; 2011 Jetta SportWagon
thats happened to me a couple times. 'hay buddy thats dee-sel!'

or

'yuu shure you wanna put that there die-cell in your tank buddy?'

and yeah, for some reason all the benz drivers dont say much. tho around here it seems like every 300D or 300SD has a 75 year old woman at the helm...

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
The 5 cylinder MB Diesels have such a nice sound to them. I was filling my 2001 Golf one day, and when I went inside to pay (why don't they ever have pay-at-the-pump for the Diesel island???) the kid said "I din't know they still made Mecedes Diesels." I said I wasn't too sure if they sold new MB Diesels in the US.

I didn't know the A4 Golf looked that much like a MB.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
I ALWAYS get into conversations at the diesel pump! the most recent was with a 20-somthing chick driving a jacked up powerstroke! She was hot, and stated "I always come here, its cheapest and 45 cetane"
!! I tried to get her number, but no luck.

When someone says "thats diesel!" I always respond "I hope so!
"

At the big truck stops, they always talk to me about the volvo, but never about the benz. there are too many benz diesels for it to be special, i guess.

RobnCar

What I seem to be getting lately is stations that have only one diesel combo pump (gas and diesel) but several gas only pumps. It never seems to fail that the gas folks will drive into an empty station and pull right up to the diesel combo pump. I just wait my turn and let them listen to that great TDI engine...

Kyanoti

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf GL, silver
In Oregon, you're not allowed to pump your own gasoline, but there's no law about diesel. So, I'm often working my own pump. Its interesting how nervous some station managers get, but what bugs me are the people who start yelling at me when I don't pump their gas. I tend to ignore them--perhaps flash a smile--until I'm ready to leave, let them know that "diesel works great in mine, you should try it sometime," and drive off. I often wonder if anybody ever takes me the wrong way...

N_D_v_22101

Veteran Member
TDI
Kyanoti-

Hm, I'll try that next time, I'm at a pump right in the middle of the island....I'll smile and make sure that they know there are OTHER Cars that run on diesel!

-Neil

ksharrington

Veteran Member
TDI
none
After 9/11, I was filling the Golf up at the Amoco station near the airport since we were flying out on vacation. I was having a discussion with the wife about the benefits of silence when I let the fuel nozzle overflow and spray onto my clothes. I reaked of diesel fuel and was just about to walk through airport security. On the shuttle to the terminal, everyone in the bus was telling the driver that his bus was leaking diesel.
(I changed pants in the bathroom before checking in.)

I could just see some bomb-sniffing german shepherd chewing at my crotch as a terminal full of people starting smacking me with laptops.

-ksh

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
I haven't had anybody try to stop me from getting diesel, but I've had several people (especially in the Powerstrokes and Cummins) give me perplexing looks. It's like their thinking "What the hell is he doing?!"

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
why don't they ever have pay-at-the-pump for the Diesel island???
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've seen plenty of stations with pay-at-the-pump diesel.

Personally, I don't find myself at the pumps much anymore these days since I've been running B100

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
I happened to arrive at the only diesel pump at a particular station just before this guy with a medium-duty truck like furniture stores have. It was one of those pumps where one nozzle is diesel and the others are gas....

ANyway, I get out and am about to use my credit card on the pump and he asks me if perhaps I could use a different pump because I was at the only diesel pump and his truck takes diesel....

He looked kind of puzzled and disappointed when I told him "Yeah I know. My car is a diesel, too."

I get the same thing at truckstops sometimes, Especially at the SAPP Bros where the only diesel pumps are in the truck lanes. You gotta pick up the phone to get them to turn on the pump. The gal on the other end sometimes says "You know that's diesel fuel, hon?"

I feel like saying " Golly Gee Willikers, is that why all the Semis are here?"

N_D_v_22101

Veteran Member
TDI
RobinCar,

I like that thought....that's why i slowly pull up/pull away from the pump.....I gots to let them hear the turbo spool my TDI!

ChrisB.

Veteran Member
TDI
Stepfather of an '03 Jetta TDI, still miss my chipped 1999 Bright Blue NB Totaled 10/2011; 2011 TR GTI, 1998 NB 2.slo0
Once at the local Amoco station, I noticed the 2 attendants were pointing and laughing as I filled up the Bug with PowerBlend. When I went in to pay, one of them said, "Just how far do you think you're going to get now that you have filled your tank with diesel." Obviously, he was thinking I should have put gas in it, but they were having too good a time enjoying my "mistake".

I smiled and said, "About 700 miles." The look on his face was priceless as he exclaimed, "You mean it IS a diesel?"

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
I love being able to pump my own diesel in Oregon, unfortunately some of the gas jockeys don't know that it's legal, and some stations just dont' allow it (even though they know it's legal).

I did have one very nice young hispanic guy take several extra minutes trying to squeeze the last drop into my tank after I complained that he wouldn't let me top it off myself. I'm not sure but I think he even vented it(without me telling him)!

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
why don't they ever have pay-at-the-pump for the Diesel island???
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It depends on where you go. There's a Love's Truck Stop nearby I buy diesel from sometimes that has pay-at-the-pump for gas. But the diesel pumps don't because they are seperated.

But at a Rip Griffen truck stop I sometimes go to, they have the diesel and gas combined on one pump, which is pay-at-the-pump.

[ May 21, 2002, 07:18: Message edited by: BoSsMaN ]

natescape

Veteran Member
TDI
None at the moment. *sniff*
When I was going to get chipped at a GTG in NJ last year, I pulled into a busy station on the Jersey Turnpike. The gas lines were all at least 7 cars deep. I pull past and get behind a semi and some idiot in a minivan follows me. The attendant goes up to the minivan, explains the situation, and the dufus leaves. Then he walks up to me and tells me it's a diesel pump and I have to leave. I point out that the car's a TDI and uses diesel. He shrugs and says "Ohhhhhkayyyyy".

You'd think they get enough TDIs at the Jersey Turnpike to recognize them when they pull up.

Now I fill up at a oil/kerosene/diesel place and there's almost never anyone there. The occasional truck driver that is there give me a weird look, but is usually more curious than anything. I had a kid (late teens, gawd, I'm getting old) who was there with his dad and he was totally fascinated by the TDI.

And as soon as I find a local b100 supply, I definitely won't have any more fill-up stories to tell.

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI
Originally posted by KERMA:
I happened to arrive at the only diesel pump at a particular station just before this guy with a medium-duty truck like furniture stores have. It was one of those pumps where one nozzle is diesel and the others are gas....

ANyway, I get out and am about to use my credit card on the pump and he asks me if perhaps I could use a different pump because I was at the only diesel pump and his truck takes diesel....

He looked kind of puzzled and disappointed when I told him "Yeah I know. My car is a diesel, too."

I get the same thing at truckstops sometimes, Especially at the SAPP Bros where the only diesel pumps are in the truck lanes. You gotta pick up the phone to get them to turn on the pump. The gal on the other end sometimes says "You know that's diesel fuel, hon?"

I feel like saying " Golly Gee Willikers, is that why all the Semis are here?"
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Where I fill up, there's always people filling up gasoline at the only two pumps that have diesel, and there is generally no one at the other 6 pumps. And they always give me dirty "*** are YOU waiting for" looks as they slowly meander to the cashier and slowly waddle back!

It's a pay at the pump station but nobody has figured out that pushing the "Pay at Pump" button screws up the card reader, thereby not getting to pay at the pump. It's funny watching these people repeatedly pushing the button, putting their card in before they finally select "Pay inside".

I figured out that if you simply slip your card in without pressing the "Pay at Pump" button, it works. Maybe I should leave a note!

I think I have the only TDI within a 60 mile radius, with the exception of Des Moines and maybe Ames, IA.

[ May 21, 2002, 11:20: Message edited by: Patrick M. Valdez ]

Mad Milo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
in the 5 or 6 times i've filled up, nobody has every looked, laughed or said anything to me. But I do get some funny looks as I put on one of my rubber gloves that I "obtained" from the doc's office!

Hey, at least thelatex smell goes away after an hour!

DieselLover

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 2002 Black
When I was going to get chipped at a GTG in NJ last year, I pulled into a busy station on the Jersey Turnpike. The gas lines were all at least 7 cars deep. I pull past and get behind a semi and some idiot in a minivan follows me. The attendant goes up to the minivan, explains the situation, and the dufus leaves. Then he walks up to me and tells me it's a diesel pump and I have to leave. I point out that the car's a TDI and uses diesel. He shrugs and says "Ohhhhhkayyyyy".
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Netscape's story reminds me of a similar one.

Back during the gas "shortage" of 1979, my father was driving his 1977 Peugeot 504 diesel sedan back home from Baltimore to Long Island on I-95 (I don't recall which state he was in at the time of the story). Anyway, he stops to refuel the car. There were long lines at the gas pumps, but no-one at the diesels. So my father goes over to those pumps, only to have a sudden mob of gassers try to follow him. The attendent had to frantically wave them off and explain to them why my father was able to go to the diesel pumps, while they had to wait for gas.

Stuart

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
I had a kid (late teens, gawd, I'm getting old) who was there with his dad and he was totally fascinated by the TDI.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nate, you're talking about WPIPoet aren't you?

[ May 21, 2002, 18:18: Message edited by: MITBeta ]

Tor Diesel

TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, green
I like watching my wife fill the tank. She hates to touch the nozzle (for fear of smelling like diesel all day) and is very careful not to splash. Almost like a surgical procedure. Reading about the exam gloves reminded me of that - and the fact that I keep a box of small exam gloves in the trunk all the time.

My wife claims diesel stinks. Having driven diesel for almost 15 years at work I honestly can't smell the stuff unless I splash it on myself.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
Originally posted by ChrisB.:
Once at the local Amoco station, I noticed the 2 attendants were pointing and laughing as I filled up the Bug with PowerBlend. When I went in to pay, one of them said, "Just how far do you think you're going to get now that you have filled your tank with diesel." Obviously, he was thinking I should have put gas in it, but they were having too good a time enjoying my "mistake".

I smiled and said, "About 700 miles." The look on his face was priceless as he exclaimed, "You mean it IS a diesel?"
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I rate this experience #1 !!!

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
Just say, "These German cars need diesel about once a month to run properly."
After telling this to one old guy in a Cadillac, he looked down his nose at me and said, "Someday, you'll be in a sorry mess if keep using that stuff."
I stole this idea from someone at this site a couple of years back, and I've used it a few times when people gawk and caution me, but I always feel like a wise a** so I'm reluctant.

ChrisB.

Veteran Member
TDI
Stepfather of an '03 Jetta TDI, still miss my chipped 1999 Bright Blue NB Totaled 10/2011; 2011 TR GTI, 1998 NB 2.slo0
Frank:

In retrospect, my experience was a lot of fun. Wouldn't it make a great TDI commercial?

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
I got several but the last one was in Indiana on the toll road service area. It was Monday morning, nice day outside. I started to pump desiel. The attendant noticed me and then started to say something over the intercom. I took a slow look around me and there was one other car at the other end of the pumps. I look at the attendant, clearly he was looking at me, continued to say something over the intercom. Of course being deaf, I don't what he said but I knew he was saying something that I was putting diesel in. I look at the other guy pumping. He started to smile at me. I don't know what he is thinking. By the time, I was done. The other guy waved at me when I was getting in the Bug. I drove off hard, making soot.

This is the first time I have been "warned" over the intercom that the attendant didn't care about shutting down the pumps. I have been shut down once or at least have someone come outside to me.

The best one I have is in Washington state. I pulled up to the pump and noticed that the pump handle was filthy and they were out of paper towels. So I proceed to a mechanic who stopped doing whatever he is doing when I pulled up (probably heard the engine sounding different,) he hand me the rag. He called to the other mechanic. So the two guys watched me filled up with diesel. As I went in to pay for it, I gave back the rag. When I came out both mechanics were still in the same spot. I looked at them and said, "Thanks again for letting use the rag." As I got in the car and started her up. My wife's window was down. As I was about to pull out, one of the mechanics yelled at my wife, "Is it a diesel?" My wife yelled back, "You bet it is."

N_D_v_22101

Veteran Member
TDI
TorDiesel,

I hear that the likes of Polo and Tommy Hilfiger are coming out with their version of a new cologne! It doesn't beat a splash or two of diesel before going out to work or to the night clubs!