First Question: "Catch Can" / "Turbo Timer"

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Search as I might I didn't quite find what I was looking for. If you happen to have a link to this question already, please feel free to shut me up with it!

So, I have been reading about these "catch cans" and this lovely post from vortex gave me a very simple (tho not sure how accurate) of an understanding of what it does:
not sure on all the tech stuff with it, but basically, it catches small amounts of oil b4 they go into parts of your engine you dont want oil. like vac lines. it catches the oil in the can, so the engine doesnt have to worry about burning that small amount of oil. when the can fills up or at oil changes you just drain the catch can of the oil it has in it. its not an oil cooler or anything. just prevents oil from gumming up your vac/intake/boost lines
link: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3115272

So, in short, I know that the turbo is known to leak oil from its seals into the intercooler, and thus it is bad to let the vehicle idle for extended periods of time ..... would this do anything to resolve that problem, or no?

Also, what affect, if any, would a Turbo Timer have? All these things are documented online, but it is difficult to find information that matches up from site to site... thus these pesky, simple(?) questions.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Turbo timer has a no benefit for either your wallet and car. Not needed. Drive your last block or so before shutoff as low load, and turn the car off. If you've been operating at heavy load on an interstate, idle it a minute or so before shutoff. BTDT, keep your money.

Catch cans are both wonderful and terrible. Wonderful because they keep CCV oil from going into the intake system. Terrible because they have a tendency to freeze in winter, and cause the CCV system to pressurize your entire engine. Can also be plugged with mud/debris. Besides, the turbo itself puts oil into the intake system. Better solution is to deal with the soot into the EGR system.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Thank you paramedick, explainations that were easy to understand and to the point. I've been pretty good about letting the car idle for a moment prior to shut off when under heavy use (like a highway trip of more than 10 mins at 60+).

Gigitt - nice handywork there, thank you for linking me to your howto :)