Malone Stage 2 Tune (without delete) - City MPG Drop

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Recently did a stage 2 Malone tune with DSG tune. Love it but I'm noticing a significant decrease in city MPG. My usual commute is 60 miles round trip to/from Boston in heavy rush hour traffic. Takes me about an hour to an hour an a half to go 30 miles. Before the tune I averaged 32-34 mpg but now I'm seeing about 25mpg. Is this normal?

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
I don't have a DSG, but I'd say yes this is typical. Your fueling had increased, therefore lower city mileage. That being said, your highway mileage should go up a bit because higher boost needs less fuel to keep you moving. I noticed when I went stage 1.5 that I could achieve higher Mpgs, but it was subject to stop quicker with just one or two medium to hard pulls. Just be conscious of your acceleration and you'll see improvements

Bulldogger

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf killed by the dealer. 2014 Beetle given as replacement
I don't think it is normal, stage 2 with out delete maybe causing more regen cycles and starting to plug up the exhaust. I did stage 2 on my wife's beetle (with delete) she does stop and go, not as bad as the city but it is slow in the morning rush. Mileage went from 37 up to 42.

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Thanks much appreciated. I realized I'm also running my AC now and wasn't previously. I ended up going to work a bit later today and missing some of the rush hour traffic. Avg. speed was around 40mph during the commute and I saw mid-40s which I was happy about.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
Is your mileage calculated by hand? I found my MFD calculation to be off a bit after stage 2 tune.

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
I do keep all my receipts and periodically enter into fuelly but prior to the tune the MFD matched closely to what I was hand/fuelly calculating so I trusted it. Good to know will be interesting to see what fuelly has to say.

Bulldogger

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf killed by the dealer. 2014 Beetle given as replacement
For accurate mileage only do hand calculations. Tuning doesn't really lower your fuel mileage unless you always have your foot into it. Around town and hwy have both gone up with the stage 2 tune, and my wife does have a heavy foot. Shifts are 3-3500rpm and hwy speed is usually 68-75mph. I do have the delete so that may have a lot to do with the better mpg. I am also straight piped to a gas beetle dual exhaust muffler:D

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I do keep all my receipts and periodically enter into fuelly but prior to the tune the MFD matched closely to what I was hand/fuelly calculating so I trusted it. Good to know will be interesting to see what fuelly has to say.
I will tell you that my mfd "lie o meter" is nowhere near accurate at all. It was pretty close before the tune and it is a good 10% off now by hand calculated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I know another member who took a pretty big MPH hit with a tune (not Malone) and short trip driving. Regens were more frequent. He was seeing 25 MPG on short trip driving in the winter. It may be the nature of the beast.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
I will tell you that my mfd "lie o meter" is nowhere near accurate at all. It was pretty close before the tune and it is a good 10% off now by hand calculated.
Fuel consumption is fairly simple to adjust using VCDS

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Driving to work this morning my check engine light came on. I have about 72k miles on the car now. Took it to my dealer and had them run the codes real quick (while I watched). Didn't get the specific code but he said the code related to Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow which based on my google search could indicate that the DPF is clogging. The service manager cleared the code and said "lets see if it comes back on. if it does bring it back".

I have an extended warranty through Geico which I would hope will cover this issue id the DPF does indeed need to be replaced. I'm wondering if this could have contributed to some of my mileage issues. I am seeing a bit of soot in the tailpipe which has me a bit concerned. Thoughts on whether I should drive more and worry less? Any concerns about having the tune on bringing it back to the dealer?

I haven't checked my mileage since then but should calculate it by hand to see if there was really a mileage issue.

autoxerwgn

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG, 2006 TDI (Sold)
I did the stage 2 tune along with the delete a few months ago. I was kind of disappointed that my mileage didn't increase at all afterwards. My daily commute is mostly stop and go. If you step on the accelerator to access that extra power, the mileage will drop for obvious reasons. I was very surprised, and disappointed, on my first long highway trip. I had made the trip before, took the same route and drove the same way and found no mileage improvement at all.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Driving to work this morning my check engine light came on. I have about 72k miles on the car now. Took it to my dealer and had them run the codes real quick (while I watched). Didn't get the specific code but he said the code related to Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow which based on my google search could indicate that the DPF is clogging. The service manager cleared the code and said "lets see if it comes back on. if it does bring it back".

I have an extended warranty through Geico which I would hope will cover this issue id the DPF does indeed need to be replaced. I'm wondering if this could have contributed to some of my mileage issues. I am seeing a bit of soot in the tailpipe which has me a bit concerned. Thoughts on whether I should drive more and worry less? Any concerns about having the tune on bringing it back to the dealer?

I haven't checked my mileage since then but should calculate it by hand to see if there was really a mileage issue.
Your DPF is cracked. The code will come back. A new one should help your fuel economy a little bit.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I did the stage 2 tune along with the delete a few months ago. I was kind of disappointed that my mileage didn't increase at all afterwards. My daily commute is mostly stop and go. If you step on the accelerator to access that extra power, the mileage will drop for obvious reasons. I was very surprised, and disappointed, on my first long highway trip. I had made the trip before, took the same route and drove the same way and found no mileage improvement at all.
You're one of the first that I've heard no mileage boost post delete. Typically I hear folks getting anything between 3-7mpg better on average. Some get 10mpg more.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
My fuel consumption as calculated in the MFD has been off by about 10 percent since stage 2 tune. Are you calculating your MPG by hand?

autoxerwgn

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG, 2006 TDI (Sold)
I reset the trip computer every time I fill up and kind of check it every once in a while, but definitely not religiously. When calculating mileage, yes I do it manually and also enter it into Fuelly.

My daily commute is almost all stop and go, and on the way home it can be bumper to bumper crawling traffic for about 20 minutes. I figured because of this, I probably wouldn't see a whole lot of improvement during daily use. Judging from all of the comments I have read about the mods, I expected about 5-10 mpg improvement on steady highway trips. I drive to/from Boston twice a year to move my niece to/from college. Prior to the mods, I got 40.78 (5/11/14) and the most recent trip (5/10/15) I got 42.15 mpg with the mods done. With a difference of only 1.5ish mpg's, I'm just going to call that essentially the same.

squeedle

TDI
'09 VW Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG)
Update?

Any update, OP? I just got Malone Stage 2 tune and am also noticing about 15% drop in MPG according to MFD. Too soon to tell if it's accurate, but hoping it's not. Curious to hear about your CEL when you get it checked... :(

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Unfortunately still dealing with this. Dealer wants to flash it back to stock for $100 and then if the problem persists will investigate further. They told me the tune wiped out the most recent update which is why we are seeing the P0401 insufficient flow. I know it is BS but I can't really argue with the dealer because the tune is there. Right now the light is off and I've put about 500 miles on the car. I stopped back at the dealer at around 350 miles and they checked to see if I had readiness which I did except for the emissions one. I'm going to stop back this week and see if I now have readiness so I can at least get it inspected. Then if the light comes back on I'll get it flashed back to stock and then have the dealer investigate. Once we resolve the issue my local Malone dealer is going to charge me $160 to flash it back. Kinda want to give them a hard time about it but I do understand it isn't their fault and it does require labor on their part.

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
So quick update. I had an appointment at the dealer this morning to get the car flashed back to stock. I noticed that the check engine light turned off yesterday so when I got to the dealer I asked them to plug their scanner to see if I had readiness and if there were any codes. They did and found that everything except EVAP was ready and said there were no new codes. They suggested that I get the car inspected while I could so I went ahead and took it to the service station that originally inspected it. It passed! So now I'm wondering if I really need to address this issue and what are the consequences if I don't. I don't feel like dealing with the hassle of going back to stock and having to drive all over the place, take it back in, etc. Any thoughts here? Am I damaging the car by continuing to drive it?

ttwirz

TDI
2010 JSW
I recently got a Malone stage 2 and DSG. I noticed a small increase in fuel millage. I had the car for about 2 months so my base line is short. I commute 34 miles each way in mostly stop and go. my trip consumption is usually 40-45 mpg. My over all went from 38 to 40. the 38 was from previous owner, I reset it and will see what the long term average is.