40K Service cost!!!

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Chicago area quotes for 40K TDI service w/ DSG

I got a new quote from Bill Jacobs Naperville: $750 plus tax=$804 with tire rotation, $725+tax=$778 without tire rotation. That's cheaper than their previous quote, and cheaper than the $790, tax included, from DuPage Auto Werks in West Chicago.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Holly crap. The recommendation for brake fluid change is every 2 years regardless of miles for my 2006. If you follow that, the stupid expensive parts in your brake system will last longer.

It's really great that VW recommends something that actually makes sense. Most car company's don't recommend a brake fluid change because they could care less about your car after warranty.

Last edited:

j1mbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Reflex Silver JSW TDI - 17" Anthracite Goals and 2014 Reflex Silver Golf TDI
Which shop? I'm in DC as well, and have been using Martens VW in Bethesda which is now Ourisman Volkswagen. I'm coming up on the 4-year mark, but only 17K miles, on my 2011 JSW TDI. Curious about the area pricing and what they'll do since I'm so far under 40K. Thanks.

I am not quite there yet, but called around to see. The best dealer price I found in DC Metro was Darcars Silver Spring. S2 Dynamics in Rockville will also do the service for a similar price

piper109

Veteran Member
Well its good that I get to reread everything that is supposed to be done at 40K. I have to admit that I did mine myself on my 2012 JSW with M6. I was called by the dealership to schedule a visit. It was very early and i declined and I did not ask how much it would cost. For me it would take a two hour drive each way to the Dealership plus about an hour for the service. That's 5 hours and about 160 miles when I could do the oil change myself in about 20 mins with oil and filters that were delivered to my doorstep for free from amazon.com. This was an important factor for me. I drove about 10-15 mins to heat the oil and apart from that it all happened on my driveway. I changed the fuel filter a little later after upgrading my VCDS cable. Reading this article I realized I had totally forgotten to replace the pollen filter but I think that must take just a few short mins. I sure am glad I don't have the DSG :)

Last edited:

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: actual cost at Bill Jacobs Naperville = $690 incl. tax. This after applying a $30 coupon, and deducting $25 for not refilling the nonexistent AdBlue reservoir on my car. They were done about 4 hours after I dropped my car off.
PS: not impressed with the 2015 Passat TDI loaner. Aren't Passats supposed to be nicer than Jettas and Golfs? And what's the deal with having to push a button to start? How is that better than turning a key? Now, if it had voice command start, that would be a step forward.

Justinw303

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG w/ Sunroof
I am not quite there yet, but called around to see. The best dealer price I found in DC Metro was Darcars Silver Spring. S2 Dynamics in Rockville will also do the service for a similar price
DO NOT TRUST A QUOTE FROM DARCARS SILVER SPRING!

I had them quote me ~$680 for the 40k service. I dropped it off, had the guy confirm the price, then when I picked it up I find out they didn't do the DSG service because the service agent somehow got the idea that I didn't want the DSG service. So he eventually offers to do it for free since I was given a printed estimate for the full service at that price. Apparently, it's about $1,100 for the full 40k service there, and the $680 price was for everything but the DSG. Total bait-and-switch operation, shady as hell!

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Just wanted to tell anyone that might need service on their TDI in the northern Chicago suburbs that I used Import Autowerks - Libertyville, IL (847)-984-2560 for my 40K + DSG Service.

They did a great job and was just under $500. Dealer was quoting nearly $800 before taxes! Highly recommend.

Can't believe people pay this much for fluid and filter changes. I guess it's not too bad i mean those guys beat on pig iron all day long... F that tho.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
So I have to ask......what's up with changing the brake fluid? Why is it different here? I've ran brake fluid with no ill effects for over 100,000 miles.
Well, because these are not cars from the 60's and 70's that didn't even have anti-lock brakes or ESP and usually went to the crusher by 100K miles anyway.

Some internal corrosion on an older car in the brake system? No problem. Just replace the offending wheel cylinder(s) or M/C and done.

The brake fluid change on any modern car is a really good idea because of the expensive brake system components that can be damaged by corrosion by the brake fluids ability to absorb water and reek havoc.

100K mile cars, 3K mile O/C intervals, 10K tune-ups? Ya, I really miss those days as well.:rolleyes:

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Can't believe people pay this much for fluid and filter changes.
You don't have a DSG. Apples and oranges.
Things might also be in general cheaper where you live.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
I paid $422 for mine in 2013, at O'Steen in Jacksonville. I haven't gone back to the dealership since.

Edit: It was in February of 2014.

Last edited:

6910sb

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
For San Diego people, I had my 40K and DSG serviced for $465 at "MR Master Mechanics" in the Miramar area. The shop owner is VW trained/certified with 12 years experience. His VW certification ended in 2012 when he left to open his shop, although he still maintains a strong maintenance network with VW dealers.

Very courteous and professional people.

j1mbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Reflex Silver JSW TDI - 17" Anthracite Goals and 2014 Reflex Silver Golf TDI
I am at Darcars for the Emissions recall. I just asked for another quote and got $1,259 including DSG! Seems like as well as being shady they upped their prices to pay for their shiny new waiting room! S2 Dynamics or Ourisman in Bethesda will likely get my business next year!

DO NOT TRUST A QUOTE FROM DARCARS SILVER SPRING!

I had them quote me ~$680 for the 40k service. I dropped it off, had the guy confirm the price, then when I picked it up I find out they didn't do the DSG service because the service agent somehow got the idea that I didn't want the DSG service. So he eventually offers to do it for free since I was given a printed estimate for the full service at that price. Apparently, it's about $1,100 for the full 40k service there, and the $680 price was for everything but the DSG. Total bait-and-switch operation, shady as hell!

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Recently - within this site - I noted a post calling attention to the $1100 initial DSG premium. Now the circa $400 every 40k seems a minimum standard.

But I'm unsure the last (actually 3rd) factor was broached.

Anyone recall #3 area?

ez

j1mbo

Veteran Member
TDI
So i just called Wheaton Service Center (On the approved Mechanics list) and the are now able to do the DSG Fluid change (unlike last year when I called).

They charge $275 for the 40k Service, and $400 for the DSG fluid change. The total of $675 is a lot better than almost $1,300 that Darcars wanted originally.

I called Darcars service manager and asked why the cost of 40k and DSG has gone up from $675 to almost $1,300 in a year...... He just called me back and said the system was calculating it wrong and when he did it manually it come out to $775. Still seems shady! What if I didn't question it?

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
AVOID ALL VW DEALERS WORKING ON YOUR CAR WHEN POSSIBLE!!!!

The 40K is just three main items (prices IDParts):
Engine oil/filter changed ($52 materiel)
Fuel Filter ($24 materiel)
DSG if applicable ($100 materiel)
Dust and pollen filter ($10)
Lubricate door hinges (lithium grease)
Inspect: tires, tie rods, battery, brakes....
(IDParts sells a 40K kit with DSG trans for $185)

If you went in and just got an oil change and fuel filter
(manual trans) you would do 90% most of the 40K service!
You can change your own pollen filter.

So if you have a MT6 the parts are less than $100.
I figure 2 hours of labor at the ridiculous $110/Hr.
So the real price if you went ala cart should be about
$300 out of door. What about the 40K inspections? Ha ha!

40K calls for a lot of inspection. I'd like to see their 40K
check-list with actual items and condition noted. I doubt they
do inspections in detail. For one the car is pretty new, and if well
cared and not abused it is not going not need brakes. Trires &
Battery might be items that need replacing. You don't need VW
for that. Go to any major auto part store chain and have your
battery and charging system checked. Tires, well you can do
that or go to tire store. When you get it back make sure the
doors hinge new grease. If not they did not do the 40K service.
The doors need to be lubricated.

It would be nice if someone has a Ross Tech cable and can look
at codes.

I did my 40K service including DSG.... I will avoid the dealer like
the plague. They did an oil change and put a liter too much.
They changed tires and put them on backward rotation direction.

If you have more than one VW dealer you are lucky, but I recommend
looking for independent Foreign/VW/Porsche/Audi/Benz shop.

Last edited:

DSL HED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta wagon DSG
Just did my 40k service over the last two days. Did the oil change and filter filter change yesterday, did the DSG/air filter change today. The DSG change was pretty easy doing the top-fill method. That $3 funnel from Walmart works great for it. The worst part was getting the air box and battery tray in and out.

In all, I spent about $185 in parts (idparts for the 40k filter pack and DSG kit, Amazon for the Ultra Euro L oil). Maybe I'll call the dealer this week to get a current price and make myself feel good about how much I saved.

The DSG change took about 4 hours from start to finish but I was taking my time and cleaned the grounds before I put everything back (I bet no dealer has ever cleaned grounds under the battery box during a DSG service). It will go much faster at 80k since I know how things are put together and the order of removal.