Can't purge injection pump

bogievw

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon- why yes, it is silver. How'd you know?
2000 Golf. It's been sitting a while and now won't start. I ran biodiesel in it years ago. I've been through the "car won't start" thread (option 5: cranks fine but won't start). Fuel system up to the injection pump checks out fine. Moved on to the "bleed/prime fuel system".

Tried to pull fuel through the fuel return line, not only did I not get any fuel after lots of pumping the system was not holding suction.

I'm figuring that I'll need to change the IP seals. Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for your help and consideration.

Last edited:

muzy

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta TDI
Read that one too. Takes a lot of pumping with Mitty vac to fill. You should be seeing needle move. Any fuel in clear supply line?
Cheers

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
2000 Golf. It's been sitting a while and now won't start. I ran biodiesel in it years ago. I've been through the "car won't start" thread (option 5: cranks fine but won't start). Fuel system up to the injection pump checks out fine. Moved on to the "bleed/prime fuel system".

Tried to pull fuel through the fuel return line, not only did I not get any fuel after lots of pumping the system was not holding suction.

I'm figuring that I'll need to change the IP seals. Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for your help and consideration.

Replace the seals. That's the symptoms of a leaky IP. There are about 8 youtube videos on how to do it. Bosch kit is under $25.

You could use pressure to fill the pump. A fuel pump pushing fuel into the IP would fill it up so you could prime the injectors. However, you are postponing the inevitble. Not to mention, some leaky IPs can get worse leaving you stranded, and dripping diesel on the engine.

Last edited:

bogievw

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. I ordered all the necessary parts to do the re&re on the fuel adjuster and head seals.

I don't have VAGCom so the question is can I rely on using the hammer mod to set fueling to a point where it's good enough to drive it to my mechanic?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Thanks. I ordered all the necessary parts to do the re&re on the fuel adjuster and head seals.
I don't have VAGCom so the question is can I rely on using the hammer mod to set fueling to a point where it's good enough to drive it to my mechanic?

That should work.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I never had much luck priming pumps. The only way that has worked for me was suspending a funnel from the hood with an inline filter to the pump, quick and easy.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
CR auxiliary electric pumps work great for this. Don't take much either. They'll fill a VE pump in about 4 seconds. :)

bogievw

Veteran Member
TDI
I never had much luck priming pumps. The only way that has worked for me was suspending a funnel from the hood with an inline filter to the pump, quick and easy.
I might just try that. I have the parts on order to replace seals but the car is not parked in a convenient spot for working on it. Maybe I can get her running enough to move the car closer to the garage.

Thanks for the tip.