New TDI owner - Saying hello & couple of questions

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI - 5spd
Hello, the name is Charles.
Bought a 2004 Jetta TDI a few weeks ago. It's a 5spd, has 135k miles on it, and has been well taken care of. Interior is in good shape, except the fabric around the door handles. I'm the 3rd owner (original owner sold it to his son-in-law) and they kept detailed maintenance notes on the vehicle.
I've read some of the sticky notes over at VWVortex forums, and a couple of things here. But I'm new to the VW and TDI family, so I'm not understanding everything just yet.
I say all of that to set up the following questions.
1) What are some common things I need to watch for, keep up, etc, etc.
and
2) I'm looking to maybe make a performance upgrade or two. I don't want a hot rod, but I wouldn't mind getting just a tad more out of the engine. What are the recommendations in that department?
Thanks for your time!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Welcome! Regarding maintenance, of course timing belt service matters. If the car was well cared for it was probably done. Service interval is 80K miles.

Second, make sure you're using a 5w40 oil that meets VW's 505.01 specification. The 40 weight is important as it helps avoid camshaft wear. Cam wear is an issue on PD TDIs like yours, although the BEW engine (what's in your car) is least prone to cam wear. You could have someone pull the valve cover and check for wear, or do it at your next timing belt change.

Glow plugs in your car are a bit of a puzzle. There have been multiple recalls on most (but not all) BEWs, switching them from 7v ceramic plugs to 5v steel, and then back to 7v. Best bet is to call a dealer with your VIN and find out what recalls have been done to your car, so you can determine what plugs it needs.

We talk to a lot of customers who have had a failed in-tank lift pump. This isn't always immediately noticeable, but if it fails it will put stress on tandem pump (at the end of the cam) and eventually cause its failure. You can usually hear the in-tank pump run briefly when you turn the key on before starting.

BEWs also can experience leaks in the intercooler system. Likely points of leakage are at the EGR valve and at the intercooler entrance. There's a fix for the EGR valve connection, not one I know of for the intercooler connetion. Check for residual oil on the outside of intercooler piping as a telltale sign of leaks.

The KP39 turbo in your car is responsive, but can suffer from a failing actuator which, unfortunately, isn't available by itself. You'll have to replace the turbo. There are a couple of turbo replacement options. Stock is good if you like the responsiveness or plan on only a mild tune, and the Garrett VNT-17 (stock on higher output engines in Europe) is a good upgrade. With a tune and an upgraded turbo you can easily see 130+ HP and 225+ ft/lbs of torque depending on the tuner. And you'll need an upgraded clutch.

At 135K your car's suspension is worn out. Refreshing suspension and worn bushings will make a world of difference in driving enjoyment. My .02 is to do that before performance tuning.

There's lots more to know about these cars, but that's a small start. When set up properly and well maintained they're excellent, durable, and inexpensive transportation. I believe the MKIV chassis is the some of VW's best work. Enjoy the car!

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI - 5spd
Welcome! Regarding maintenance, of course timing belt service matters. If the car was well cared for it was probably done. Service interval is 80K miles.

Second, make sure you're using a 5w40 oil that meets VW's 505.01 specification. The 40 weight is important as it helps avoid camshaft wear. Cam wear is an issue on PD TDIs like yours, although the BEW engine (what's in your car) is least prone to cam wear. You could have someone pull the valve cover and check for wear, or do it at your next timing belt change.

Glow plugs in your car are a bit of a puzzle. There have been multiple recalls on most (but not all) BEWs, switching them from 7v ceramic plugs to 5v steel, and then back to 7v. Best bet is to call a dealer with your VIN and find out what recalls have been done to your car, so you can determine what plugs it needs.

We talk to a lot of customers who have had a failed in-tank lift pump. This isn't always immediately noticeable, but if it fails it will put stress on tandem pump (at the end of the cam) and eventually cause its failure. You can usually hear the in-tank pump run briefly when you turn the key on before starting.

BEWs also can experience leaks in the intercooler system. Likely points of leakage are at the EGR valve and at the intercooler entrance. There's a fix for the EGR valve connection, not one I know of for the intercooler connetion. Check for residual oil on the outside of intercooler piping as a telltale sign of leaks.

The KP39 turbo in your car is responsive, but can suffer from a failing actuator which, unfortunately, isn't available by itself. You'll have to replace the turbo. There are a couple of turbo replacement options. Stock is good if you like the responsiveness or plan on only a mild tune, and the Garrett VNT-17 (stock on higher output engines in Europe) is a good upgrade. With a tune and an upgraded turbo you can easily see 130+ HP and 225+ ft/lbs of torque depending on the tuner. And you'll need an upgraded clutch.

At 135K your car's suspension is worn out. Refreshing suspension and worn bushings will make a world of difference in driving enjoyment. My .02 is to do that before performance tuning.

There's lots more to know about these cars, but that's a small start. When set up properly and well maintained they're excellent, durable, and inexpensive transportation. I believe the MKIV chassis is the some of VW's best work. Enjoy the car!
Awesome post, thanks for the info! The turbo was replaced with a BorgWarner back in December. Not sure if it's just a stock replacement or what; never owned a turbocharged vehicle before and definitely don't know the options and model numbers there.

It does seem like it rides a little rough? Squeaks when I get in/out of it (though I'm a big guy, 6'6" and north of 350lbs.)

There's a guy here in Little Rock, AR that specializes in VWs. http://vwrepairlittlerock.com/
Seems like he does good work, but I don't know for sure. Not sure about the VW dealer here; haven't spoken to them about anything yet so I don't have a feel for them.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Indigo hit all kinds of good points there.

Only thing I would ad is if the car has a sunroof, read up on how to check the drains to make sure they're functioning properly.

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI - 5spd
Indigo hit all kinds of good points there.
Only thing I would ad is if the car has a sunroof, read up on how to check the drains to make sure they're functioning properly.
It does have a sunroof! Previous owner the the recall on the drain on the passenger door. Cut the nipple off the drain or something like that if I remember correctly. Basically said the hole was big enough for water to drain out, but the problem is that dirt and stuff would get in the drainage tubes and clog it up. He had that happen. Took the seats out, and the carpet out of the interior to dry out the floor pan and clean the carpet. Guy took really good care of the car I believe.