Fault Codes

ransmith

I am a newbie, and had the good fortune to locate a kind and generous club member, who has VAG-COM, and ran fault codes for my 2000 Golf TDI. Symptom: Substantial power loss, with check engine light. This happened previously, and the dealer repair cost was $550+. Repair included MAF Meter, MAF Sensor, and O-ring. The problem resurfaced after barely 2 months. Symptom: Same. The fault codes generated read like this:
2 DTC's Found:
16485 - MAF Sensor (G70): Implausible Signal 35 - 00 - -
19587 - EGR System Rehulation Range not Reached 35 - 10 - - - Intermittent
Can anyone provide any depth breakdown, concerning the fault codes generated?
Good news...repair covered under warranty...this time!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If that had happened, then it would have happened right away. I gather that there was a period of 2 months of normal operation and then the symptoms and trouble codes surfaced without anybody doing anything under the hood at the time.

Problem is a fauly MAF sensor. It is giving a signal which is out of specifications. The EGR trouble code is probably related to the issues with the MAF sensor, because the MAF sensor is used to regulate the operation of the EGR system.

Make sure that THIS time, they install the updated wiring harness connector to the MAF sensor, if this vehicle was subject to the situation that involved this connector and it hasn't already been fixed.

There is no guarantee that the updated connector will solve the problem permanently but at least it will rule out one potential cause. If you search these forums you're gonna find out that the MAF sensor used on all A4-chassis VW's is JUNK, and they have yet to properly solve it.

ransmith

Thankyou VelvetFoot & GoFaster! Your feedback is both welcome and appreciated. I have read about the unfortunate mortality rate of the Bosch MAF, in contrast to the apparant success of the Pierburg MAF. I will indeed see that the "updated wiring harness connector" is installed THIS time! I also have read, and heard, that a less expensive option may be to substitute the MAF from a 2.0L gas powered VW, should it become necessary down the road. Any comments here?

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Do not pay for a new MAF all new parts they put on your car by VW carry a 12 month 12000 mile warrenty/ IF the maf went bad agian it is theirs to replace not yours. Know your warrenty on repairs. DO not pay twice

ransmith

Thank you Birdman! I have NO INTENTION of paying! Your support is appreciated! I did indeed check with Volkswagon proper, and they assured me of the 12 month/12,000 warranty.

ransmith

Hello Bowlerman...I don't know about the "Pierburg" MAF availability, but I suspect you should be able to get one. It is my understanding, that the Bosch, and the Pierburg are NOT cross compatible. IN FOLLOW-UP TO MY SPECIFIC PROBLEM: It was indeed another faulty Bosch MAF Sensor assembly, which VW dealer replaced at N/C. I spoke with an individual, in the dealer parts dept., who gave me the following explanation, regarding the Bosch MAF assembly. Draw your own conclusions! The Bosch MAF "Plug Upgrade" is still done, but the entire assembly has supposedly been "re-done", and is now devoid of the former propensity to fail (we'll see!) The failure was supposedly diagnosed, as a problem with a silicone coating, applied within the assembly, which was originally applied in too great a thickness. A breakdown of the excess material would supposedly foul the PCB assembly, within the MAF body, causing the failure. According to Lithia Volkswagon - Reno, Nevada, many dealers were replacing throttle bodies, and ECM's, as the fix, whereas Lithia was replacing an excess amount of MAF assemblies, which "flagged" the attention of Volkswagon proper. VW proper, in turn requested the return of Lithia's "defective" MAF assemblies, in order to perform failure analysis, which led to the aforementioned conclusion, regarding MAF assembly failure. Thanks to all for your input!