Seventh-generation VW Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
Looking forward to seeing the MKVII in the metal. May be willing to part with the MKV. Only time will tell as the MK5 Golf has really grown on me.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
The MK7 better look more like the MK4 than the 5 and 6.
I agree with that snakeye I also have a MK4 and plan on keeping it until I can no longer drive. I still think that the MK4 Golf and Jetta were both high water marks for VW styling. JUST MHO thanks.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I think MK VI has the best of both the MK IV (style) and MK V (size). Now add stop/start/regen brakes, and a manual emergency brake in the MK VII and I'm sold.

Meanwhile, I am quite happy with my MK IV Golf. :)

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
just picked up an 11 golf tdi. before you criticize the styling go drive one. what a package....makes my 03 jetta feels like an antique and the suspension and steering are world class....went to dealer to look at a new jetta and drove out in a new golf...what a nicer car

BeetleGo

TDI
We don't really know yet. But the start/stop will be there, as well as regenerative braking. I expect the emergency brake will go back to a hand brake (see American Passat for reference to that).

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
just picked up an 11 golf tdi. before you criticize the styling go drive one. what a package....makes my 03 jetta feels like an antique and the suspension and steering are world class....went to dealer to look at a new jetta and drove out in a new golf...what a nicer car
I had a '11 Golf as a garage loaner recently. Automatic, base model, 2.5 (seems the base 2.5 comes with trip computer in '11).

I agree it was a very very nice car, and will likely be my next. Whether TDI or 2.5 depends on how much I drive then. The base model is a very nice package as it is, much nicer (but also more expensive) than a base MkAmerican Jetta.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Looks the same, whats the diff between 6 and 7?
What you see in the picture is an engineering mule. It uses the old body welded to the new chassis, which has a wider track.

Wider track might = wider car to accommodate wider Americans....

BeetleGo

TDI
Photos

http://www.caradvice.com.au/101530/2013-volkswagen-golf-arriving-late-next-year-report/

The next-generation Volkswagen Golf VII will go on sale in around two years, with a Volkswagen spokesperson confirming development of the new model and its all-new platform are well underway.

According to a Reuters report, the vehicle will enter production by the “end of 2012 or early 2013”, following word from a Volkswagen insider that the seventh-generation small car would arrive in showrooms in November 2012.

The Golf VII will be the first Volkswagen vehicle built on the Group’s new modular traverse architecture, known as ‘MQB’. The Golf will follow its sister car, the Audi A3, which will become the first vehicle in the world to use the MQB platform when it goes into production in mid-2012.

The new architecture will be highly versatile, easily capable of being lengthened, shortened and widened, and applied to front- and all-wheel drive vehicles. Volkswagen says it will underpin around 37 different models and more than three million vehicles across the Volkswagen Group every year.

The Golf VII is expected to be offered in both hatch and convertible forms, and the Blue E-Motion electric model has been confirmed to join the range in 2014.

Styling is expected to be an evolution of the current design, drawing influence from the Scirocco and the new Jetta sedan.

By the time the new model arrives, the current sixth-generation Volkswagen Golf’s platform will be 10 years old, having been inherited from the Golf V which launched in 2003.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Good to see the Aussies confirming the same chassis details. Will we all get the same spec/sized golf?

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
humm, I like it,

looks like a meaner faster leaner golf,
I could see it coming with the launch of the Golf R in the US, typically within 2 years the model is redesigned.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
i drove both and did not have any leaning either way. Drove the 6 speed Jetta and the 6 speed Golf.....I went Golf and even paid more than the Jetta but there is truly NO comparison. The Golf is the premium car in the lineup now. the seats (sport seat option), the finish, adjustable armrest, better dash and door plastics, the suspension (drive it as it is truly noticeable on a bad road), the steering is liquid smooth and responsive....and the thing is huge in the back...so the 2012 is different? cant be that much change in it. The current car is a huge leap over the last gen and to do much more I cant believe they wont have to raise the price significantly. by the way...anyone who has driven a new CR engine...why would ANYONE buy a gasser? it just does not make sense. the TDI is the better car....all around...

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
Usa

if MKVII will be made in the US, i am glad i have my MKVI made in Wolfsburg.
I have no problem with it made in the USA, in fact I am glad. I owned 2 Made in the USA VeeDubs and had issues with them. My German made B6 has more problems that my Hencho en Mexico A5 Jetta, infact I have had no issues at all with my A5 and it actually feels more solid than my Passat. Also the Passat has had several recalls and the Jetta none. The Korean and Japanese are producing very high quality US built cars

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
my boss had a 2000 passaet wagen built in Germany while I had my 2000 beetle built in Mexico. He had no problems with his while I was constantly fighting gremlins.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
My Golf was made in the Fatherland and has a few electrical issue, nothing major, just the locks (it locks it self, mk3 did that also) and Radio ground.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I had a driver's door that couldn't make up its mind if it was shut or not. Sometimes they locked, sometimes they didn't. Found out that the warning buzzer stopped after 30 seconds. Had to replace the rear hatch lock along the way too.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
Let's just hope we don't get a dumbed down Golf.
If that is the case I for one will be buying a MKVI to replace the MKV. I had a US built MKIV and it was a good solid car. But just don't want a dumbed down American car, like the LAST:mad: amerikan gm car I drove.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If VWOA follows VWAG lead then that shouldn't happen. In Europe the Jetta is considered an old farts car while the Golf is a younger person's car. (May not necessarily reflect actual age but how you feel about yourself) So the Golf is more expensive and more loaded than the Jetta.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
^^^ Agreed I did have a MK3 Jetta VR6 nice car but have always liked the Golfs better that is why I have two at this time. And I'm an old fart (63) in years any-who.

Jethro Bodine

TDI
03 Jetta TDI 5 spd, 11 Golf TDI 6 spd
I dont get it, can you still get a regular TDI with a real transmission or just a hybrid in 2012? I would not want a hybrid myself and that would turn me away, if its an option, more power to them.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I dont get it, can you still get a regular TDI with a real transmission or just a hybrid in 2012? I would not want a hybrid myself and that would turn me away, if its an option, more power to them.
Blue E is still developmental but may be available by the time the new golf arrives. I would expect both versions to be available in the US. This Country is very hybrid orientated.

I suspect a Hybrid tdi would be way too expensive to make and sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.