'96 Passat TDI Wagon Reliability

Coolin

TDI
Passat Wagon 2005 Silverstone Grey
\'96 Passat TDI Wagon Reliability

There's a 96 Passat TDI Wagon 5-Spd, for sale in my area(Vancouver, Canada)...I have a friend who is seriously considering this vehicle, especially after going for a ride in my TDI....

What sort of differences are there between the '96 TDI and the later model TDI engines, both mechanically and reliability wise?? This car has 120,000 km on it....anything to check before make the purchase?

Also, how is the rest of the car? I think some of you have this same vehicle, what's the general feeling? transmission, interior....things falling apart etc?

Just trying to help him make an informed decision...

Thanks

[ April 02, 2002, 11:52: Message edited by: Coolin ]

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Re: \'96 Passat TDI Wagon Reliability

Mr. Coolin: I think the general consensus among your forum brothers is that the older cars are "bulletproof" (<<maybe that's a slight exaggeration) when compared to the newest generation of cars. On the flip side, the newer cars are far more refined and civilized.

The Passat diesel wagon is a rare and desirable beast: Tell him to pull the trigger and grab the car while he still can...

crvsecretary

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan Salsa Red

Hello Coolin:

I have to echo dorf's opinion. I recently bought a '96 Passat sedan with 104,000 on the clock and not a minute's regrets. The "A3" TDI engine uses a common spin-on oil filter, has a bulletproof MAF, and a single-mass flywheel that many "A4" engine owners put on thier cars!

Yes, the new ones are indeed more refined - I bought a 2001 Jetta TDI (my ex has it now), but I love the extra room in the Passat.

Buy it for yourself...

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons

Originally posted by crvsecretary:
Hello Coolin:

...Buy it for yourself...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">And I too echo what dieseldorf said. If course every model has it`s idiosyncracies and the B4 is no exception; door handles, moon roof, exhaust vibration, windows, interior squeeks and creeks to name a few. But all are managable if you spend some time here researching the issues.

We wouldn`t have two if they weren`t the most appropriate car available in North America. And two other friends have ones we found for them, they love them too. If there is nothing dramatically wrong with it...go for it.

Oh yeh, 1000 miles on ONE tank of fuel........

John Beyer

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 White TDI/GT Jetta, 2003 Silver Jetta

We bought our '96 wagon almost 3yrs ago with 122k on it. It was a gamble but it paid off. Our's has been very reliable. Besides one door handle breaking and a dirty intake manifold, everything else is normal maintanance. There just isn't anything else like it.

Find out when the timing belt was replaced or replace it and the tensioner(easier on older ones). Make sure it has a good battery. If it starts easy when cold and runs strong then the pump, injectors and glow plugs are probably OK.

This forum is a good reason to buy one.

[ April 03, 2002, 05:38: Message edited by: John Beyer ]