P0101 obd error code

My 04 Passat tdi wagon (25k miles, 17.5k with Greasecar veggie fuel system :) ) beeped and held a check engine light and "emissions workshop" message at me yesterday with no change in performance. I was decellerating from 75ish to exit the highway and after dropping off a passenger it continued to work fine (pulling 75 up a big interstate hill, for instance). It was in the 90s outside temperature-wise if that's significant.

The most local vag-com was out of comission so I went to Autozone for an OBD read. The only code was P0101 though it came up twice. There was also some language about air mass in the text.

Could I be due for my second replacement MAF sensor?

Can I count on the car to stay functional on the 300ish mile journey from northern VT to coastal RI and find a dealer down there?

Thanks all.

Sloppy Snood

Veteran Member
TDI
Passsat
Per my Bently for your 2004 Passat,

P0101 (SAE)
16485 (VAG)
"Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance"

Before you take your Passat to the stealership, try cleaning and insulating the MAF sensor. Here's a link on what to try/perform.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=77582&highlight=Cage+Mod

Unless your MAF is already fried, the Cage Mod will probably solve the problem. You will still need to clear the Emissions Workshop error code with VAG-COM. -Sloppy Snood

LightningTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 United Grey Passat TDI Wagon with Grey Leather; '05 Golf, 5-speed automatic TDI; '04 Beetle 5M TDI; '02 Beetle auto TDI
southherogrease said:
Can I count on the car to stay functional on the 300ish mile journey from northern VT to coastal RI and find a dealer down there?

Thanks all.
My buddy swears by Scotts VW dealership...his family have had VW diesels since the rabbit days, and have always brought them to Scotts...East providence, RI., near where the old Narragansett race track used to be...good luck...

Returned with no harm done

I just rolled in this afternoon from RI via ME (family visits). The ce light stayed on until I took it to Speedworks VW in RI. Of course they could read the history, but not do anything under warranty. Prior to leaving Vt originally, I blasted the connection with spray contact cleaner. Incidentally, I connected with two other greasers on the trip and did the whole thing (1000+ miles) on waste oil. The 1/2 tank we left VT with did the trick and I only paid $20 to the guy in ME for 20 gallons. The greaser in CT let me have 12 gallons gratis. Grease is the word!