oil pressure light

Blackjedi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta 5 speed 1.9 alh tdi
our county did an awful job re grading the dirt road i live on and stirred up huge rocks and didnt bother to remove them and i ended up smacking the oil pan with one. Wasnt a real loud smack when i had hit it on the way back to my house and Didnt think much of it as a rock being hit once in a while just happens where i live. I go out in the morning about 10 hours later fire up the car and start slowly driving down my dirt road, oil pressure light came on briefly then went off, knew something was odd right there, turned around and it came on really briefly again but went off, Immidietly parked it and looked underneath it to see the oil pan having a small crack and dripping oil. A new oil pan is on the way. Im curious if there is a good chance that the engine or turbo might be fried, no odd noises or anything and the car was driven maybe 200 yards total, idiot light only came on for roughly 3-5 seconds each time before shutting off. Im hoping it will be fine, but im in canada 2-3 times a week and would rather not go through the hassle of having the turbo or something blow while i am there. Should i be freaking out or should i just relax since it wasnt ran hard and the oil light was only on briefly and then went out? Car is a 2000 alh tdi 5 speed with about 280k miles on it.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think you caught it in time, and will likely have no issues.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The Cam Journals in the Head would suffer the quickest as they are farther from the oil pump. Considering your engine was hardly boosting at all, the Turbo is probably fine. Rod bearings may have got a little hot.

If it were mine, I'd order a set of rod bolts so that I could check the rod bearings while the oil pan is off....... Also, maybe set of rod bearings considering the engine has 280k miles on it.