Malone Tuning on PD Anyone?

Freeekonaleesh2

TDI
2004 Golf TDI
Has anyone had a Malone tune done to their PD engine?

I have a 2004 Golf TDI BEW and am wanting the stage 2 upgrade since there wont have to be any mechanical addons. He claims 40HP 68TQ.

What are your thoughts if you have a tune from him?
Worth it for the extra HP & TQ? :confused:

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I'll let you know in about a week or so. After months of research, I decided to go with Malone. Great thing is he can rent you the Flashzilla, so it's no need to be without your car, or remove your ECU.

If do a search, you will see they have great feedback.

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
Mark does a great tune (among a selected few) and is great to work with. He did my tune for the stock PD and re-tuned for the mods. Very pleased.

Freeekonaleesh2

TDI
2004 Golf TDI
Ive been researching and reading about Malone and he seems to be the best.
Thanks for the inputs and looking forward to more testimony's and more power for my Golf TDI.

On a side note, http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=287766

This really intrigues me and this would be an awsome start to an amazing career.
Anyone know how to get involved please reply in that thread.

ihatehybrids

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I saw a noticable power increase

I got a tune on my 04 jetta pd at the fix um haus in portland, and i drove away with a definate power increase off stock. I was originally only pushing up to 16-17 psi continuous, wot. After a little Malone (although it did take a while for him to email back the file), my boost would rise up to 20 psi continuous at wot and stay there. So a modest to moderate feeling and power increase.

kraftwerkturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI auto
I got a tune on my 04 jetta pd at the fix um haus in portland, and i drove away with a definate power increase off stock. I was originally only pushing up to 16-17 psi continuous, wot. After a little Malone (although it did take a while for him to email back the file), my boost would rise up to 20 psi continuous at wot and stay there. So a modest to moderate feeling and power increase.
Mine is a 2005 Golf TDI BEW automatic. Came with tune and straight pipe from turbo to tailpipe. 180k miles, good maintenance.

Afraid the tune (or N75 or else) is causing overboosting. Log shows desired boost around 17, but actual reaching 25 psi. Turbo blown a few weeks after I bought the car. Rebuild turbo installed. THAT blew (compressor housing seperated from bearing housing) a week later, and (my fault) killed engine (main knock) in the process (oil strarvation). Now new used BEW engine installed. I do NOT want to go through another turbo or engine.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
I don't think you can blame the tune on some of the above. The tune just uncovered some issues, like the need for turbo actuator adjustment after installing the tune.

kraftwerkturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI auto
I agree: tune is calling for 17 psi, but for whatever reason, I get big overboost. Either N75 lazy or leaking internally or line to actuator (actuator not opening wastegate), actuator (not opening), or something else is messed up.
I think I found a stock tune and flash that in. I can always custom tune or install the original RocketChip tune if everything works as it should.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
I agree: tune is calling for 17 psi, but for whatever reason, I get big overboost. Either N75 lazy or leaking internally or line to actuator (actuator not opening wastegate), actuator (not opening), or something else is messed up.
I think I found a stock tune and flash that in. I can always custom tune or install the original RocketChip tune if everything works as it should.

http://www.chip-tuner.hu/original_ecu_files/files/VW/ has stock files, if you didn't know already.

kraftwerkturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI auto
Appreciate it. I found on labeled 038906016Q_orig_BEW 1.9 TDI.bin , but will download the linked file as well just in case!

BTW: what is the stock boost for the BEW?

bmali98

Veteran Member
TDI
O4 golf pd auto
why do these threads pop up 2x-3x a week?
Because not everyone spends too much time searching. The search tool sucks.

I have an 04 auto bew golf with malone stage 1. Ass dyno confirms its alot faster and im not going to kill my turbo or performance with boost creep. Myself and many others would reccomend max stage 1.5 with the stock turbo.

kraftwerkturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI auto
Either they don't know how to search, or in kraftwerk's case, he bumped a 4 year old post. He double posted as well, seems to be trying to blame the tune for his problems...:rolleyes:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=287963&page=2
Not blaming anybody or anything. Know WAY too little about TDI. As stated. Newbie!

Please don't read/answer/delete/unsubscribe_thread if my questions bother you.

Not my intend. Blown 2 turbos and ruined 1 engine. Obviously, should have become an expert first.

4 year old threads can still deal with valid questions/answers. Unlike opiniated by some (not just in this forum), there is neither a law nor an etiquette to make replying to post more than 1 day old illegal.

There IS the users freedom 'to not read, reply, answer, help'.

Unless/until the government takes over the internet, naturally.

kraftwerkturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI auto
I have an 04 auto bew golf with malone stage 1. Ass dyno confirms its alot faster and im not going to kill my turbo or performance with boost creep. Myself and many others would reccomend max stage 1.5 with the stock turbo.
What is stock boost on BEW?
What is a Malone stage 1 running?
What is boost level for a typical 'stage 1.5'?

bmali98

Veteran Member
TDI
O4 golf pd auto
No idea on any of that. I dont even have a boost gauge. Important thing to note is your ecm wont allow you to overboost. If the boost creeps up that wil be your new max boost limit way up at the end of your rpm range and boost level will suffer at lower rpm. Im sure im not the only one to notice the engine runs fastest after a code clearing and slows a bit once the ecm relearns the engines safe limits.stage 1 and 1.5 have the least likelyhood of creep unless you want to get into data logging blah blah. Im sure someone else including the malone website can explain that. I haven done any logging.

Just keep to stage 1 or 1.5 if you would rather drive your car rather than perpetually tune and repair your car.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
Not blaming anybody or anything. Know WAY too little about TDI. As stated. Newbie!

Please don't read/answer/delete/unsubscribe_thread if my questions bother you.

Not my intend. Blown 2 turbos and ruined 1 engine. Obviously, should have become an expert first.

4 year old threads can still deal with valid questions/answers. Unlike opiniated by some (not just in this forum), there is neither a law nor an etiquette to make replying to post more than 1 day old illegal.

There IS the users freedom 'to not read, reply, answer, help'.

Unless/until the government takes over the internet, naturally.
Who are you to tell me what to read, answer, delete, or unsubscibe? You are obviously not new to the internet so you will get better results if you had searched before and perhaps posted when you blew your first turbo rather than hijacking an old thread. Doing your research first before installing your turbos or asking questions first would go a long ways. BTW, how do we know you're a newbie? Why should it matter?

Starting your own thread stating that you need help with a blown turbo makes more sense than posting in someone's old thread with the title of "Malone Tuning on PD Anyone?" Did you contact Malone about your problem? Did you contact the person who installed your tune? Who did the rebuild on the first turbo? Did you ask him why it blew? Who installed the turbos? Did you ask the vendor you brought the turbo from about your issues and how to solve them?

You yourself stated you were afraid the tune caused the overboosting. So it sounds like you're blaming the tune. Go follow what you thought and BuzzKen stated in your other hijacked thread about the N75. Easy to change to see if that's the problem.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
What is stock boost on BEW?
What is a Malone stage 1 running?
What is boost level for a typical 'stage 1.5'?
Stock boost is 14.5 PSI gauge pressure, 2000 mbar absolute as read with VCDS.

Malone stage 1 and 1.5 are 17.5 PSI gauge pressure, that is what is safe for the OE turbo. Either requested boost level, stock or tuned will have a very short spike on tip-in, that is common for VNT style turbo cars and not a problem if it settles quickly.

You have a hardware issue you need to solve before suspecting your tune. Malone, and every other tuner, has to assume an engine in good working order to tune. That is not to say that higher, more aggressive tune levels (stage 2 PD tune and higher) don't sometimes benefit from slight tweaking. Malone stage 1.5 always works well right from the start if the hardware is in proper working order though.

CanadianLurch

TDI
B5.5 Passat TDI
I have a malone stage 2 tune on my BHW Passat TDI and im loving it. Very noticable increase in both TQ and HP. Be prepared to roll some coal on the stage 2 tho. If you cant handle smoke Mark suggest going with the 1.5. At least he did when I bought mine a couple of months back

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
I have a malone stage 2 tune on my BHW Passat TDI and im loving it. Very noticable increase in both TQ and HP. Be prepared to roll some coal on the stage 2 tho. If you cant handle smoke Mark suggest going with the 1.5. At least he did when I bought mine a couple of months back
I would consider a tune for my bhw if I had a new cam and trans...