2005.5 Jetta stalling at low rpms while braking

specic

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I am looking forward to some advice, because I have spent hours searching the forum threads. The knowledge gained from this group has really helped me understand my car, but I can't find anything related to my situation.
My wife took our Jetta to Toledo from Detroit and on the way back it started to stall at intersections while braking at a near stop. (1000 rpm or less) It appeared as if it the DSG was shifting from 2 to 1 and the rpms suddenly dip from 1000 down to 300 or less - stalling the car. I ran the gamut of possible items I could think of and proactively changed my oil since it was due, changed the fuel filter, checked the EGR, checked the air filter... She didn't get fuel, because I provided a full tank from the same Mobil station I have used for years. Over the next two days it progressively worsened to the point of me stalling on the freeway in rush hour nearly 30x in a 10 mile stretch. Quite aggravating and scary. I didn't go home, I drove right to the mechanic.
My trusted Bosch certified master mechanic who has always treated me well replaced the DMF which it needed and I concurred, done a four wheel alignment, made sure there weren't any fault codes and I am still stalling intermittently at the intersections during braking or rolling stops. He has had the car 2 weeks and does not know what the problem is. We do not have any faults. He was going to check the cam sensors(???) this weekend and see if they are reading right? He was also splicing in a clear tubing to see if we were getting air into the fuel lines which he said could cause problems at low idle. Finally, he was going to pressure test the fuel lines and rail...? I am $2100.00 in and afraid to see what is coming next. I don't feel like any bad money was spent, but I would like to be armed enough to have intelligent conversation with him. Please help with any advice...:confused::confused::confused:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Check that the fuel lift pump is working.
It is under the right rear seat.
You should hear it run for about one second each time the key is turned on.
You should then verify that the fuel lift pump delivers at least 25 cc through the fuel filter with each one second run.

specic

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Follow-up report

I picked up my Jetta 05.5 BRM DSG yesterday after it was in the shop for 4 weeks. Unfortunately, the mechanics could not pinpoint the source of the stalling problem, although they managed to find others that I have noticed as issues on this forum. Let's list what I have replaced and then tackle what my problems are:
1: Replaced the DMF - could have been the problem, but was not!
2: Did a 4 wheel alignment since the front end was taken apart - good practice, no complaints there.
3: Oil Change - it was time.
4: Spent over $700.00 in testing and time to NOT find the problem and only provide recommendations - ANGER :mad:.

They tested the lifter pump under the back seat, found it to be working but the power test on it were just out of "Range" so they threw a new one in and asked if I wanted to pay for it when I picked up the car. They said they have my old one and could put it in, but chose to leave the one I didn't authorize in - take my car home and sleep on it?! They tested the fuel lines for air, the tested the pressure, checked the air intake and MAF, took off the EGR and it was working within spec... still no problems found.

Their recommendations:
- Replace the EGR, because they think it is intermittently sticking open and causing the stalls at braking / stops. The computer could not even pick up any issues when drive test were performed with the computer installed to isolate the issue during stalling incidents.
- Replace the CAM Shaft and perform the update the oil delivery based on the new bulletin put out by VW for this issue - Recommended, but also said if it where their car they would not do this.

My Problem: Although the car is running fine now and I have not have a stalling incident all weekend (Only had the car since Friday). There is this terrible whirring noise, that sounds like a pump or compressor under my dash passenger side! That was not there before!!! One of my senior engineers says it may be the power brakes trying to make pressure...? Would any of the test above screw up the braking system? Does taking off the EGR involve anything around the braking system packed behind the engine? They did feel a slight bit soft this morning, and I have only driven the car three times all weekend.

Last edited:

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
I wonder what the RPM's are at just before it stalls? Sounds like the engine is being told to shut off, or cut fuel injection. I'm wondering if there is a way to trouble shoot the ecu. Meaning reading inputs and outputs to verify they are within spec using a meter. We do that from time to time on ddec controllers, usually just for sensors and not actual injectors though, that can be read at the injector harness then traced back if output is incorrect. Good luck.

Oh and what is this you speek of: - Replace the CAM Shaft and perform the update the oil delivery based on the new bulletin put out by VW for this issue - Recommended, but also said if it where their car they would not do this.

What's the oil delivery update? Did you get the update number? Or does anyone else have it?

specic

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Good suggestion on the trace... it is shutting down from 2nd to 1st gear with an RPM drop from 1000 to +/-400.

The wear on the cam is a common thread here and my Bosch Mechanic said a new bulletin was published by VW that involves drilling a new oil route in the block or head to deliver the oil above the CAM thereby reducing the wear. I guess it is currently bottom fed??? This is a major re-mod to the engine... Price tag out the door +/- $3,500.00.
I have a follow-up meeting with the mechanic tomorrow... I'll ask about the update number and post

krystlelite81

TDIGUY Associate Vendor
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
Did you ever figure out the stalling issue? I have a customer's 05.5 BRM Jetta and he has had new cam/lifters and rebuilt injectors with PD150 nozzles as well as a tune done and now the car is intermittently stalling when coming to a stop. We ran the car on a jug of fuel to eliminate the fuel pump and it stalled also with the jug....I'm pulling my hair out at this point.

specic

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Update two

redlm... the update is not a VW sanctioned bulletin as I was lead to believe. It is a fix done by a consortium of mechanics to improve oil delivery to the cam bearings. My apologies...

krystlelite81... Unfortunately (or fortunately if I stay optimistic) the issue was a pulley bearing on the timing belt that threw the engine out of timing. My mechanic did not check it on his "Thorough" diagnostic, because he said it was only replaced 20K prior. Because of that minor break in his policy I paid for $600.00 in testing and diagnostics that didn't give me the answer, a new DMF, a new lift pump in the tank, a recommendation to replace the EGR which is not needed and I received my car back with two new issues that didn't exist when I took it in. The culprit was discovered after driving the car for three days and it died in an intersection, costing me a tow back to his shop. I was told that the valve that keeps the engine from dieseling (Some type of stall valve) may be intermittently failing and I should have it and the EGR replaced for good measure. My new hissing sound I'm told was a leaking turbo and was given pictures... luckily I am smart enough to know the picture is the EGR after cooler and a fraction of the costs they wanted to fix the "Coincidental" new issue. Sorry for all of the sarcasm; this is my mechanic horror story. Just make sure you check the simple items first... Gas, filters, timing, then move on from there, because the major items sound like they have been addressed already. Good Luck.