EGR Monitor not running/no pending codes

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2
So my 06 Jetta will not pass smog.

Check engine light was on with a P0672 "Cylinder #2 glow plug circuit open"
Went to my friend who runs the smog shop and b4 he would charge me he said let's get rid of the check engine light first. So he hooked up his code reader and turned off the CEL.

Then he found that the "EGR monitor was not running", and the reader said there were no pending codes. He suggested that I go to a deserted road and accelerate hard from 20mph to 40mph in 2nd and let it slow back down. Do that three times ro so. Then he said accelerate hard from 40mph to 60mph, let it slow down and then pull over to the side of the road and let it idle a couple of minutes and bring it back. So I did that and the same thing showed up on his reader.

I then took it to a specific TDI Guru, who b4 he opened his shop, worked for VW Palm Springs for 15 years and has numerous VW honors framed on the wall. He hooked it up to the Ross Tech gizmo and said it's working but not to spec as its off by about 80 grams per second or whatnot. Aaron then said he'd had decent luck in cases such as this by driving a steady state of 60-65 mph on cruise control for around 25 minutes so there is relatively no load and the computer can re calibrate to spec.

Well I did do that and it still is giving the same information.

If I have to delve into the EGR system he said it'd be anywhere from $1100-1500..:eek: YIKES...I'm on a fixed income and can ill afford that expense!!!

Does anybody have any ideas???

The car is probably only worth $2-2.5k as it is although it's running great to me as far as I can tell. No difference from when I originally obtained it in October of 2016 from Spoolin' Jim. !!

Oh...don't know if this is important or not but about two weeks ago battery went totally flat; so I jumped it and put a brand new 5 year warranty one from WallysWorld in.

Thanks

Last edited:

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
search these forums for my username for posts with the keyword "readiness" and you will find loads of info on this subject. And/or talk to your tuner about it.

FWIW your mechanics are wrong about what you have to do. Readiness should set itself after a few warmup cycles where the test criteria are met, not some guess at what might be an applicable driving ritual. Any egr mod in your tune and it won't pass, no matter what you do mechanically or how you drive.

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
search these forums for my username for posts with the keyword "readiness" and you will find loads of info on this subject. And/or talk to your tuner about it.

FWIW your mechanics are wrong about what you have to do. Readiness should set itself after a few warmup cycles where the test criteria are met, not some guess at what might be an applicable driving ritual. Any egr mod in your tune and it won't pass, no matter what you do mechanically or how you drive.

Thanks Kerma...will see what I can find...talked to Spoolin' Jim the original owner and he said he never had any cels during his ownership. He did replace the EGR cooler 90k ago.

This is a strange one.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
First, is a Malone stage 2 compatible with California emissions requirements?

Based on first hand experience, I know for a fact that these cars will still run quite well even with numerous things wrong with them that will not throw a code, including incomplete combustion, which I expect could result in a failed smog inspection. My TDI was still running seemingly well, getting 38 mpg even with the #3 cylinder exhaust cam and lifter worn down to ridiculously bad levels, all with no CEL.

As a result of my experience, combined with numerous posts by others here, my guess is that the likelihood of your car having camshaft issues may be significantly higher than zero.

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
First, is a Malone stage 2 compatible with California emissions requirements?

Based on first hand experience, I know for a fact that these cars will still run quite well even with numerous things wrong with them that will not throw a code, including incomplete combustion, which I expect could result in a failed smog inspection. My TDI was still running seemingly well, getting 38 mpg even with the #3 cylinder exhaust cam and lifter worn down to ridiculously bad levels, all with no CEL.

As a result of my experience, combined with numerous posts by others here, my guess is that the likelihood of your car having camshaft issues may be significantly higher than zero.

Yeah, I hear you. I've been researching the cam issue. PO sent me his receipt from Borla Parts back in 2011. "Brand new VW OEM BRM deluxe camshaft replacement kit [05-07] [A5BRMDLX-Cam]= $1098.00!!!
Camshaft aftermarket"

I hammered it in a rural area around PS yesterday and saw 164HP and 212Lb Ft on the Ultragauge! Runs like the proverbial scalded kitty.

Jim changed the cam in 2011 along with using the black nitride lifters at around 100k..so this cam now has 110k on it.

Been talking extensively with Chris from Kerma [nice guy] and he says they only use Colt replacement cams. He's seen all the others fail, some as soon as 30k, and will not sell anything else. I was unaware the Malone tune isn't compatible with Cali emissions, so I may have to replace with one from Kerma.

So I've got an appointment next week at my local TDI guru:Top Notch Automotive here locally. Aaron worked for VW Palm Springs and has numerous awards from over 15 years of service on his shop wall. Very knowledgeable on all things VW, not just TDI! Depending on the cam inspection results, may have to go the Colt cam and lifters route.

Or, if the expense of the Kerma tune and the Cam job is cost prohibitive, sell to someone in a state that has no emissions inspection..:eek: though I definitely don't want that to be the case.

Damn I love this car.

Last edited: