Castrol 5w40 TXT 505.01 No Longer Available?

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Just returned from my local VW dealer w/o Castrol TXT 505.01 5W40. Was told they could not get any more from Europe. Instead they had Castrol 5w30. It was in a black bottle. I did not study it very much, wish I had. Although it did have 505.01 on the bottle. They said it comes from Texas?

I'm gearing up for my 10k oil change and did not want to use 5w30 so I just ordered some QS Diesel Plus 5w40 from oil-store.com. With shipping it was about 7.30/qt. Probally a little more than that 5w30 would have been.

Has any one else seen this domestic Castrol 505.01 5w30? Also do you think that grade would be ok for an '06 Jetta TDI.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
"Was it spec 507?" I don't think it was. I have a little problem with fine print w/o my glasses. But I am positive I saw 501.01 on the back label. I said I did not want it but did inquire on the price. The cashier said about $6.00/qt. So I am pretty sure it could not have 507 at that price.

I might just have to go back there and get more info aboyt this oil.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
sohccammer427 said:
...do you think that grade would be ok for an '06 Jetta TDI.
If the oil has VW 505.01 (or better) then it will be fine in your PD, regardless of it's weight.

I don't recall seeing an oil available over here in a 5W30 that ONLY meets 505.01. If that is a 507 product, you should jump on it at only $6/qt.

Strack

Veteran Member
WHat does the new bottle look like? Is it TXT or Syntec or someting new? I had my oil changed at the dealer on my 06 Jetta last week and I got the last 5 bottles of TXT in the house. The service rep mentioned that the new oil will meet the newer specs required for the 2008 TDI's.

This change may be good for us? Perhaps the new spec will cover a broader range of vehicles and finding this oil on a retailers shelf will become a reality. I have a spare quart of TXT in case I need to top up, but would truly like the option of going outside the VW network without paying shipping fees for motor oil. I used to drive Fiats, MG's and Triumph's, so I'm used to quirky dealer & mail order parts, so I've learned to put up with these inconveniences for the enjoyment of driving a vehicle which is different and runs against the grain a tad...

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Strack said:
...The service rep mentioned that the new oil will meet the newer specs required for the 2008 TDI's...
that'd be VW 507.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
I will make it a point to go by the dealer (it's close to me) tomorrow and ask look at the oil again. I will report back here with what the new stuff is. I think it had multiple vw specs listed but I just noticed the 505.01. I do remember it has a three letter name S?? perhaps.

Interesting that the parts counter said that is no longer imported but that the new brew comes from Texas (whatever that may mean). He stated that it was no longer available from whover they were getting it from. But being a cetified VW dealer im sure that means that VW's supply is cut off.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
Went back to the dealer today and here is the oil:

SLX Professional OE 5w-30
Castrol SLX Professional OE (Full Synthetic) is engineered for leading OEMs for outstanding engine durability. This product is developed to the highest possible standards of lubricant engineering.

API Service SL/CF - ACEA: A3/B4, C3 - VW 502.00 / 505.00 / 505.01 - MB 229.51

IT'S MORE THAN JUST OIL, IT'S LIQUID ENGINEERING. Specially formulated to improve engine durability.

Note that it is 502 505 & 505.01 not 506 or 507 spec.

If you navigate to http://www.proformanceusa.com/ on that page you will see the oil. Lists for $8.87/qt so the dealer price of $6.00 may have been a deal.

The only thing I like about it is that is a full synthetic. The QS Diesel Plus is a Synthetic blend. May try it in the future but I just want a 5w40 in the summer.

Regards

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Hey, thanks for following up on that. Good info.

Not a Castrol fan myself but it will be interesting to see how this oil works for those who use it. The price is right at least.

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
sohccammer427 said:
The only thing I like about it is that is a full synthetic. The QS Diesel Plus is a Synthetic blend.
It would be interesting to see if the Castrol product is actually a real "full synthetic" vs. a Castrol "full synthetic". If I had to wager I would say it was a Group III just like the Q Diesel Plus.

The oilstore must have realized that they were selling their Q Diesel Plus oil too low. The price is now $35.09 instead of the ~$22 it was a month or so ago. :(

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
The oilstore must have realized that they were selling their Q Diesel Plus oil too low. The price is now $35.09 instead of the ~$22 it was a month or so ago.

I know, just ordered some yesterday. It was about $7.25/qt with shipping.

So let me ask this question. Can a group III product can it be called a blend or a full synthetic? ie Is the QS Diesel really a full synthetic because it is group III base?

'06 Jetti TDI

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
sohccammer427 said:
So let me ask this question. Can a group III product can it be called a blend or a full synthetic? ie Is the QS Diesel really a full synthetic because it is group III base?
The QS product by North American standards is a Full Synthetic - i.e. Group III base stock. Since this product is not on any shelves, they probably didn't put too much stock on what was on the label.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
sohccammer427 said:
The oilstore must have realized that they were selling their Q Diesel Plus oil too low. The price is now $35.09 instead of the ~$22 it was a month or so ago.

I know, just ordered some yesterday. It was about $7.25/qt with shipping.

'06 Jetti TDI
Group III and group IV can be called "synthetic" or "full synthetic" in the US. In Europe they use the term "synthetic technology" for group III and "full synthetic" for group IV.

Synthetic blends (a mix of group II and group III) are not suitable for use in a TDI. Finding a synthetic blend that meets the specs for a TDI would hard too....

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
Bob_Fout said:
Synthetic blends (a mix of group II and group III) are not suitable for use in a TDI. Finding a synthetic blend that meets the specs for a TDI would hard too....

Just to clarify, QS states it is a "Synthetic Blend" on its label, but it is not a "Synthetic Blend" by U.S. standards. If you take a look at its msds:

http://www.quakerstate.com/pages/tec....asp?ID=209469

The Q diesel "Synthetic Blend" product primary ingredient is:
Highly Refined Petroleum Oils 90-99%

For comparison, here is the primary ingrediant from Rotella T "full synthetic" msds:
Highly refined petroleum oils - Mixture 90 - 98.99 %volume

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
mparker326 said:
I believe I got their last two cases at the lower price :eek: - one case was backordered and they did not list Q Diesel Plus on their site for a week or so. After my second case came in, I checked their site and noticed it had gone up to the $35.09 price.

Oh well. Hopefully it will come back down again or I won't be using it any longer.

Then again, if this
Castrol SLX Professional OE 5w-30 is available from the stealership for $6/liter, I know where I'll be getting the oil for my 50k OC. $6/liter for VW 505.01 certified oil is great, but it's not as good at the $4.77/quart for the Q Diesel Plus!

scurvy

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
tditom said:
that'd be VW 507.
Yes, but does that still cover 505.01? The 2008s are common rail injection and thus do not have the highly loaded valve lifters (from a narrower valve cam lobe) and highly loaded injector rockers that the PDs do.

The new oil spec has an additive package that prevents poluting the new catalyst used in 2008. I would imagine that any good diesel oil would protect the motor, from a lubrication standopoint (like Delvac 1) on a 2008 TDI, but it may screw up its emissions system.

Is Motul 505.01 still available? That's what I am using and I get it from my local VW dealer.

--Nate

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to clarify, QS states it is a "Synthetic Blend" on its label, but it is not a "Synthetic Blend" by U.S. standards. If you take a look at its msds:

That makes sence to me. QS Diesel Plus can be called a full synthetic here in North America. But because it was developed for a specific application (TDI PD) that is widely used in Europe thay may have decided to call it a blend to be in line with their naming conventions.

Interesting is has the same base stocks mackup as Rotella T Synthetic but is called a blend.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
The plan seems apparent to me - we have access to G052195M2 for 7.5 per litre That is 504.00 507.00 oil 4 less than 506.01. They have made buying good oil from VW a viable option, reasonably priced. They also will still offer a 505.01, I think for some time as Castrol Edge 5-40 Diesel 505.01 is in production, so I am sure it will be packaged for VW. This part # G052195M2 should not change but in time Edge 5W30 will replace Longlife III in bottles for VW.

Strack

Veteran Member
Does anyone know if the Castrol SLX 5W-30 is of group III or IV & V base stocks? At the end of the day, either will protect the TDI engine well, but the IV & V base stocks may be a bit better. Just wondering ??

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PDJetta said:
Yes, but does that still cover 505.01? ...Is Motul 505.01 still available? That's what I am using and I get it from my local VW dealer.

--Nate
VW 507 supercedes all previous VW diesel oil specs.

Impex sells the Motul 505.01 product.

ASMessen

TDI
2006 Diesel Edition Jetta DSG
I had my oil changed monday and sorta freaked when I saw a different part number from the normal Castrol TXT oil the dealership usually used. When I asked the Service Consultant he told me about VW reccomending the QS Q Diesel Plus now, so thats what they are using. FYI it is the same price at my dealership as the TXT.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
ASMessen said:
I had my oil changed monday and sorta freaked when I saw a different part number from the normal Castrol TXT oil the dealership usually used. When I asked the Service Consultant he told me about VW reccomending the QS Q Diesel Plus now, so thats what they are using.
Please post the part number, description & price from the service invoice. I'm interested to see if VW is going to start carrying other 505.01 oils.

scurvy

ASMessen

TDI
2006 Diesel Edition Jetta DSG
scurvy said:
Please post the part number, description & price from the service invoice. I'm interested to see if VW is going to start carrying other 505.01 oils.

scurvy

Quaker State Q Diesel Plus PN is ZVW-352-167-Q
Price was 6.96 per unit (note sure if it's Liters or Quarts)

the description in the invoice is just labeled as "Motor Oil"

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
sohccammer427 said:

That makes sence to me. QS Diesel Plus can be called a full synthetic here in North America. But because it was developed for a specific application (TDI PD) that is widely used in Europe thay may have decided to call it a blend to be in line with their naming conventions.

Interesting is has the same base stocks mackup as Rotella T Synthetic but is called a blend.
Thanks to the great wisdom of our Federal Trade Commission, the U.S. oil companies can call just about anything "Synthetic", "Full Synthetic" or "Synthetic Blend" and get away with it. The good old Mobil vs Castrol synthetic case. Mobil lost and Castrol won. The consumer lost, cause we no longer know the meaning of synthetic.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Synthetic = not natural. Neither Group 3 or Group 4 are naturally occurring.

OilGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Bob_Fout said:
Synthetic = not natural. Neither Group 3 or Group 4 are naturally occurring.
Group II (used in most mineral oils these days) is just as non-naturally occuring as Group III; they both go through the same hydroprocessing step (rearrangement of naturally existing crude molecules) - though Grp III is treated a bit longer.

Regardless of what base oil is used, what matters most is the performance of the finished lubricant (base oil plus additives). None of us run base oils in our engines. Just because a lube is made with Group IV PAO base oil doesn't automatically mean that it is better than all non-Grp IV base oil lubes - additive pkgs vary across the board. Anybody can buy any base oil. The add pack is where much of the differentiation or customization is accomplished.

Independently verified, industry standard engine test approvals/specs are one way to validate MINIMUM performance levels. Whether a lube just barely meets the hurdle or blows it out of the water is not discernable with many specs; however, there are some approvals/specs which have different levels to sort out different levels of performance.

ptempel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat TDI Wagon
Just did an oil change as part of the 30k mile maintenance last month. I bought Castrol TXT 505.01 oil from the local dealer. Was a little over $7 a quart, IIRC. I remember the parts guy mentioning that they may switch to Quaker State 505.01 oil. So I gather that's a good alternative, but never have used it yet. For the 20k service, I used Pentosyn 505.01 from ecstuning.com. But I've noticed that the price went up on the 5L bottle so decided to go with the dealer this time around. Also replaced the oil pan drain plug (has a built-in washer). I kinda like the larger drain plug with the separate copper washer like the Audi 1.8T AEB motor has. Guess you could replace the one in the BEW 2.0L TDI with something similar.

Fahrfuwerfuelen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 (A4), Platinum Gray
Notice on ELF's website that in addition to the Excellium DID 5W40 (505.01) they also have Solaris LSX 5W30 (505.01) and Solaris LLX 5W30 (507.00).

Seems like 5W30 will be the new standard for post treatment systems on diesels.