Allroad Tdi Conversion

Jerz

TDI
05 Passat Wagon GLS TDi 180hp, 5 speed swap; 05 Passat Wagon BEW swap (wife's, traded for OM606 Merc soon to be STD); 05 Mazda B3000 2.0mTDi swap (sold); Boxster S TDi swap (under construction)
Has anybody done Allroad TDi conversion with 6speed (B5 S4, or A6)?
Looking at the ratios seems doable, for a winter beater. About 2800rpm at 120kmh/72mph, out normal highway speed around here. Taller tires could drop it to 2500, or so. Should be alright for tuned BHW, or maybe V6. Any words of wisdom from the experts?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Ive been keeping my eye out for a 5 speed all road with a blown engine. My 5 speed Passat BHW using a v6 (300 rpms higher than next TDI spec 5speed) suits me fine. I run 3000 or so rpms at 75mph. Doing 90 mph on the outskirts of the major cities im located between in any given direction is pretty much out of the question but my passat is simply a fuel saver daily driver and weekend drive to the lake car. It will be towing a 14ft 70 hp fishing boat 5 or so hours to the coast next week. I get over 40 mpgs at 70. Ill be driving through 1 large city but those wanting to do 90 will just have to go around me. I dont do 90 in my road trip vehicle towing nearly 4 tons of boat either.

If you can find one with similar v6 gearing it may suit your driving habits.

I believe others have sourced the 6 speed awd transmisson and matching rear diff from Europe.

The allroad would be a more comfortable vacation taking car than a passat sedan for those of us with large dogs and a kid. I have 7.3 excursion for such trips so I'll only jump on a allroad if its a too good to pass up deal.

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
The AR did not ship to the US with a 5 speed.

I have owned both an AR and a B5.5 4mo wagon at the same time, and the AR is no bigger in real terms than the B5.5.
I installed the DQT 6MQ mated to a Stage 3 tune BHW in my AR conversion. It was nice. I currently have a 2004 Passat 4mo with the BHW and 5 speed TDI spec Quattro transmission from Frans. You get air ride with the AR and several hundred pounds heavier over a Passat 4mo. The 4mo comes with independent rear suspension. The Passat gets better MPG

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Kieth at KMH motors in Lowel, Ma has dome several.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I've put some thought into doing one with a 1.6D I've got laying around.
The 4.44s that the allroad got would help slightly with the gutlessness, but it'd still be horrendously slow.
Just haven't come across a manual allroad at the right price and time yet. Plenty of $500 auto ones have passed by, but if I'm doing an auto, it'll be an electronic motor.