Looking for Q5 TDI - opinion on CPO

ncsuengineer1

TDI
2012 JSW TDI 6M
Long time TDI'r and mechanic here. Currently have '12 Sportwagen that has served me well. As family dynamics are changing, I would like to get my wife something a little bigger. I am seeing pleasant reviews on the Q5s as far as quality, engineering, mpg, reliabilty, etc. For the few Q5s that are on the market, they are not being offered CPO (emissions). With a used one, is it a deal breaker to not have CPO (as long as price is within reason)?

Kj71109

TDI
2016 A6 Prestige
From the reading I have done on the Q5s and those with a tdi it doesn't seem like there has been many issues that I can see. One thing to maybe ask the dealer, if you're buying from an Audi dealer, is if they will CPO the car once the emissions are fixed. Only problem is you'll probably end up paying another couple thousand. I had an sq5 before my current A6 and it was a great car! Did anything and everything you needed it to. It had plenty of room and was a very nice ride. My only reason for trading it in was to get back into a diesel and upgrade to the next class A6/7/Q7. If you have the coin I'd almost wait for the new Q7 tdi to come or the SQ7 if they ever bring it. (not holding my breath)

ncsuengineer1

TDI
2012 JSW TDI 6M
As long as its had a decent track record, I feel comfortable not having the CPO but who wouldn't want the extra 2 years? I have seen quite a few <10k mile Q5s ranging from $44k to $50k+. Most were $47k. I saw in another thread that they can be had for closer to $40k (non CPO). Is that just a matter of negotiating cost or are their prices high? All were Premium plus with technology package plus a few other minor options.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=454648

Kj71109

TDI
2016 A6 Prestige
It would definitely be nice to have CPO warranty, especially if you don't think you will tune the Q5. Another nice thing if you don't want to do your own maintenance is Audi Care, and if you trust your local dealer. If I were you trying to buy one now before they figure out emissions, I would just ask the dealer if there is anyway if you buy now, can you bring the car back in once emissions is sorted out to CPO the car. Worth a shot anyway.

As far as cost- Just remember that most of the none RS models Audi sells can be had easily for 6% plus off of MSRP. So when looking at used ones get the sticker for the car and factor this in, and then take into consideration for mileage, wear and tear. When I traded my SQ5 in: I paid $59000 for it with MSRP of $63200, and dealer offered me $52000 for it. That was with 5000 miles and not very old. They listed it for sale at $56000. Hopefully that helps a little bit. Good luck, its a great SUV!

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
In spite of all the emissions drama, I wouldn't want any other engine besides the 3.0 TDI. You aren't going to get the same blend of power and efficiency in the 2 or 3L TFSI engines (not that they are bad engines). I was talking to the Audi dealer who thinks that a tweak to the ECU should be enough to make the 3.0 TDIs compliant. Perhaps there will be increased AdBlue consumption. I'd give it more time to see what the solution is before buying. If you are seeing used Q5s for around $50K, a brand new one, Premium Plus with extras can be had for a little more.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
47K seems pretty good, especially if well optioned. I'd check it against KBB or similar site to see for sure.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
For that much money I'd be looking at an A6 TDI. Bigger, nicer car, same engine.

There are a bunch of '14 and '15 A6 TDIs with less than 10k miles on them on Autotrader right now for about the same money.

The Q5 is a jacked up A4, essentially. The A6 is one step up the food chain, much better driving car.... huge trunk, gobs of rear seat room. Awesome highway cruiser, and handles the twisties incredibly well for a car its size.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
A preowned A6 TDI or BMW 535d are very tempting and astep up in luxury. I do like the hatchback aspect of the Q5 and I can get large boxes in it with the rear seats folded. Now that I've got the blizzaks on I'm ready for the noreasters this winter :).

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
If I were you I'd bargain with them using the lowest price I could find. Can't hurt and you can always walk away.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I purchased my Q5 TDI in September and I love it. Check Autotrader because the prices have dropped a lot. The TDIs are cheaper than the 3.0T models.

ncsuengineer1

TDI
2012 JSW TDI 6M
I picked up a Q5 TDI last week. I found a 2015 for a good price that had over 3 years left on the original 4 year warranty. What an incredible vehicle! I left the key on the center console and after a quick acceleration, I heard something move. I thought it was my drink that fell over. Drink was fine, my key flew from in front of the shifter to the back seat!

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Congrats. Hope it treats you well. The 3.0 TDI is very quick off the line. It takes restraint to not put your foot into it too much. I'm really enjoying mine. I spend about 2 hours a day commuting and the Q5 is a nice place to be. It's also nice to be able to get over 500 miles per tank.