Multifuntion Steering Wheel upgrade

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic Sedan
Can a MK5 Jetta steering wheel be used in a MK4? I'm asking because later down the road, I plan on installing an aftermarket radio with phone functions and the multifunction MK4 steering wheel controls don't look like they can cut it.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
MKV & MKVI steering wheels and airbags have been used in MKIV’s.

If you currently don’t have a MFSW the task will be tougher to use the newer wheels functions, not to mention adding functions (phone) that never existed in the US MIV.

You’ll probably find some info over on VWVortex.

MKVI may be easier, as single stage bags are easier to find.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
MKV & MKVI steering wheels and airbags have been used in MKIV’s.

If you currently don’t have a MFSW the task will be tougher to use the newer wheels functions, not to mention adding functions (phone) that never existed in the US MIV.

You’ll probably find some info over on VWVortex.

MKVI may be easier, as single stage bags are easier to find.
I'll take a look over there ASAP. Just didn't know if someone here did the mod or not.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I did a MFSW swap for the MKIV steering wheel here recently, only thing I'd suggest is don't use scotch locks for your CAN wiring. Or anything, to say the least. They'll fail down the road and you'll get communication faults.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
I did a MFSW swap for the MKIV steering wheel here recently, only thing I'd suggest is don't use scotch locks for your CAN wiring. Or anything, to say the least. They'll fail down the road and you'll get communication faults.
I wonder if there is a wiring diagram, that way if I pull a steering wheel, I can also get all of the wiring. I am willing to put in the work to make it like a factory install.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I wonder if there is a wiring diagram, that way if I pull a steering wheel, I can also get all of the wiring. I am willing to put in the work to make it like a factory install.

I can see if I have a diagram lying around. The way I understand how the MKIV controls work, is the buttons on the wheel are just switches to the controller. The "controller" is the 451/452 relay. I know when checking functionality in VCDS after my install there was a few blank fields for phone controls, so I'd imagine it's doable.

Edit:

Here's ther MKIV harness side at least

Here's a multi-page wiring diagram I put together from the Bentley. Highlighted in red is the multifunction steering wheel control (E221). Highlighted in green is the five-pin connector (T5j/b).

Obviously T5j/1 and T5j/2 are for the airbag, and T5j/4 is ground.

Considering there are only two remaining pins, one of them must be dimmed 12v. The remaining wires are green/white and black/blue.

Last edited:

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
I can see if I have a diagram lying around. The way I understand how the MKIV controls work, is the buttons on the wheel are just switches to the controller. The "controller" is the 451/452 relay. I know when checking functionality in VCDS after my install there was a few blank fields for phone controls, so I'd imagine it's doable.

Edit:

Here's ther MKIV harness side at least
I wonder if a MKVI steering wheel could be placed in a MK4?