Bad oil leak

cneagle87

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Hey guys. Wanted to get your opinions. My 2005 Passat tdi has started to leak oil pretty bad. I can see it dripping after I turn it off. I notice it coming from the front middle of the engine. I have not been under the car to investigate yet. I was wanting to hear some ideas of some common oil leaks on this model so I have an idea what to keep an eye out for. Thank you all

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Pull the engine cover (if you still have it) and look. Check the oil filter housing and turbo oil lines first.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
VW diesel engines like to leak when they get old. Too many places to even try to guess. Do what Uberhare suggested.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
buy a giant can of brake cleaner, wash down the entire engine, drive the car as you normally do but every day pop the hood and look. You should be able to find the origin of the leak.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I've got a slight weep at the front and rear of the valve cover, a new gasket didnt help other than slow it a bit. I then removed and gave the gasket and cover a liberal coat of "right stuff" and reinstalled. It was leak free for a while. I don't have to add oil between 5000 mile oil changes so i dont worry about it. These valve covers almost float on the seal and its been discussed that they deform over time and a new one is $$ and used is a gamble. Near identical design of the honda b and d series gasser valve covers but i never had any of my Hondas leak from the cover despit reusing the rubber gasket. Dizzy seals yes, but never a valve cover gasket.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I got pesky leak on the right bank also with a new gasket. I am not sure if I should try another brand, currently it's a Victor Reinz, or I should use a sealant with it. It didn't come with new bolt gaskets. I think on mine, the rubber is harden.

BTW - I am sure you read this. But most around here think 5k oil change interval is too short. I do mine at 12-14k.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
If you are changing the valve cover gasket and still having problems, you may want to change the valve cover also. The torque values and tightening sequence will be important at this point.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I dont use 505.whatever oil, I use rotella (t5 i believe) it costs me less than 13 a gallon, i buy bulk for the shop mostly for my passat, and 7.3 but i also run it in my boats and motorcycles.

Oil debates for oil brands are more heated than religion or politics.

5k changes won't hurt. Also helps to keep all my vehicles at the same change interval, keeps me from forgetting.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
VW diesel engines like to leak when they get old. Too many places to even try to guess. Do what Uberhare suggested.
This is true only if you neglect them. I’ve got a bunch of high mileage TDIs and only one has a slight oil leak. Valve cover gasket, easily fixed.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Oil debates for oil brands are more heated than religion or politics.
5k changes won't hurt. Also helps to keep all my vehicles at the same change interval, keeps me from forgetting.
I hear you on the heated debates..

But if you are interested, there is a school of thought that frequent oil changes can lead to more engine wear than extended oil changes.
Here is a post that explains this theory..
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2340534&postcount=27

BTW- I run Mobil 1 TDT at 12-14k intervals for the past 100k or so miles, original cam at over 200k and looks clean inside..