Getting a Phase 2 Fix Next Week

Homerjj

TDI
1984 Jetta Turbodiesel, 1983 Caddy AAZ, 2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
Hey everyone, as the title suggests, have an appt. for my phase 2 next week.

I was just wondering is there anything specific I should ask or watch for pre or post - fix?

Like it was suggested that the subframe might be pulled in some cases, so I'll check if an alignment was done...... etc..

Thanks

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
I asked if they would do an alignment after removing and replacing the sub frame. They said no, they have some tool or jig that repositions the sub frame just as it was before... to avoid them having to do an alignment.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Depending on milage, as I was around 23k, they played stupid with the 70k return for new dpf.

I'll keep everyone posted on that headache when it comes.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Homerjj

TDI
Just had my Sportwagen in today for the phase 2 fix. It wasn't a 9 hour job, as they suggested that my mileage ( 25,000 km) only warranted replacing a few things & not dropping the subframe. ( Car wasn't picked up by me, so the details are a bit murky)

I'm requesting a work order and had a few questions.

Am I missing something? As the VW Canada TDI Booklet was pretty clear on what needed to be replaced.

https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/w...-TDI-BOOKLET_GEN-3_ENGLISH-final_new-size.pdf

:/

Homerjj

TDI
Thanks for the link, but the Canadian version suggests this:

Emissions Modification Phase 2:
(available beginning in early 2018)
The second part of the emissions modification will involve outfitting
your car with new emissions control parts to ensure system reliability
and durability over time. We will install updated emissions control
system hardware – specifically a new Diesel Particulate Filter, Diesel
Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic Reduction Converter – that
is needed to maintain emissions performance for the full useful life
(240,000 km) of your vehicle. As part of the Phase 2 modification,
we will also install a second NOx sensor and corresponding software
to improve the performance of the on-board diagnostic (OBD) system.
These Phase 2 updates are expected to have no further impact on
overall vehicle reliability, durability, fuel economy, engine sound,
performance, or drivability.
You will receive a notice when Phase 2 of the emissions modification
is available for your vehicle. If your vehicle has accumulated fewer
than 64,000 km (for automatic transmissions) or 112,000 km (for
manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car
will need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second
time, before it reaches 240,000 km. If applicable, we will notify you
when it is time to bring your car in for the second catalyst
replacement.
These updates will be made available at no cost to you starting in
early 2018. A complimentary loaner vehicle will be available for the
duration of this modification, which is expected to take approximately
9 hours.

https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/VW-CANADA-TDI-BOOKLET_GEN-3_ENGLISH-final_new-size.pdf

So according to the above I should have had everything replaced?

Confused in PEI.. :)

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Dropped my GSW off for Phase 2 this morning. They told me it should be done by the end of the day. They must have assumed my car had under 40K miles, as about 30 minutes after I left the dealer, they called and said, "oops, we're going to need your car until next Monday, possibly Tuesday."

Meanwhile, I'm driving a Habanero Orange 2019 Jetta loaner with the 1.4T. Only 818 miles on it when I drove off. Not bad around town, but that engine is a DOG at highway speed. The ride of the car is nice, and it was pretty quiet for a VW at 85 mph. The auto stop/start was a little annoying, due to the slight delay, but that's easily turned off with a button. I got an indicated 40.0 mpg on the 55 mile trip home, doing 75-80 most of the way.

golfnoob

TDI
2015 Golf SE
Since I bought a DSG CPO last month with about 44k miles, should it have had the DPF and other things replaced? There is a sticker under the hood but nothing was checked off. The VW page says mods complete when I look up the VIN. Dealer was kinda clueless about the whole thing.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Since I bought a DSG CPO last month with about 44k miles, should it have had the DPF and other things replaced? There is a sticker under the hood but nothing was checked off. The VW page says mods complete when I look up the VIN. Dealer was kinda clueless about the whole thing.
It should have a Phase 1 and Phase 2 sticker under the hood if both were complete.

Chiroman

TDI
'15 GSW, '05 Jetta PD
Thanks for the link, but the Canadian version suggests this:

Emissions Modification Phase 2:
(available beginning in early 2018)

You will receive a notice when Phase 2 of the emissions modification
is available for your vehicle.

You should have received your Emissions Recall 23Y8 letter in May or June. Even for Canada, the letter has the same info as in the link from post #5 above, except the values for miles are in kilometers. The wording is the same however.

CrazyMonkey

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE 6M
I asked if they would do an alignment after removing and replacing the sub frame. They said no, they have some tool or jig that repositions the sub frame just as it was before... to avoid them having to do an alignment.
I might be the only one that has had to bring their car back to have them align it. When I got mine back, I noticed the steering wheel angle was quite a bit off when going straight ahead. They must not have used "the jig"... but they fixed it without much of an argument.

Mine also had an exhaust clamp come loose somewhere upstream of one of the NOx sensors because a little while later, I started getting CELs. They fixed that one without complaint as well.

I've had zero problems with the fix since.

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Depending on milage, as I was around 23k, they played stupid with the 70k return for new dpf.

I'll keep everyone posted on that headache when it comes.

I don't know what you mean by 70k return. I thought that there was an extension on the DPF warantee (and the fuel and emissions system), but what is 70k return?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There is a part 2a and a part 2b fix. Cars with low mileage were supposed to get only part 2a done and then return at some point with higher mileage and get part 2b done. My stop sale 2015 Beetle only had part 2a done. At some point I am to return around 75k miles and get part 2b done. Part 2b is supposed to include a new dpf IIRC. My car only had less than 10k miles when part 2a was done. No need to replace perfectly good components at that point hence the return at a higher mileage. I would imagine this is pretty much for the stop sale cars for the most part.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
DPF is the Diesel Particulate Filter. This was supposed to be replaced when 2b is done. Parts lists were posted for 2a and 2b. 2a was just a sensor addition and software. 2b involved more hard parts including the dpf and more software updates IIRC.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
What's phase 1 then? I thought that was just software?

P2a more software and a sensor?
2b more hardware?

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
Just had phase 2 done

Just picked my car up from the dealer after having phase 2 done. Dropped it off at 1pm. yesterday and it was ready for pickup at 2:30pm. today. Car has just under 47k on it and my paperwork indicates it had kit A and kit B installed. Confirmed by service advisor. Haven't noticed any significant difference in driving, maybe less of a "lag" when stomping on the go pedal. I'll give it a few days of test driving before I render a verdict.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Photo of invoice if possible,.for part and stock #s

JeffsSportWagen

Usually between the Florida Gulf Coast & Treasure
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen S TDI/dsg
Dropped off my GSW for the phase 2 fix on Monday evening. Told me that they would keep me updated, but 2 full days later I've heard nothing. They did give me a Silk Blue 2019 Jetta SE with a sunroof, which is a pretty sweet ride for what it is. Noticeable improvements over mk6 Jetta in handling, road noise and interior packaging. (I have 2 mk6 Jettas in the immediate family) Light years ahead of a Corolla.

Hoping I will get mine back tomorrow, but I put way to much fuel in the Jetta tonight so now I've got to do some extra driving tomorrow. (after working in rental car for a decade I have a thing about returning rentals with more fuel than I get them with)

Fingers crossed...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Depends on the dealer and VW. Sometimes parts are an issue. Ordering or availability. Sometimes it is just the dealer stacking up work and doesn't get to it immediately. The job itself only takes a day or two. Anything else can make it take longer.

JeffsSportWagen

TDI
Thanks! I was getting anxious and my imagination had been creating lots of terrible scenarios, each worse than the last. LOL

They called late this afternoon and said it's finally done (after 8 days.) It was too late for me to get there today since I'm 90 miles away so I'll get it tomorrow. Yay!

JeffsSportWagen

TDI
Well, I picked it up and the steering wheel is a touch off-center. Adviser said they would see about alignment at later date. I've had it back 8 days now. Very subtle difference to dsg shift points and I'm still not quite used to it. I am seeing better mpg numbers. Got 483 miles on my last tank with 20 showing left to empty. I've not ever made it to 500 before so I'm calling that a win since I chickened out and filled up. Definitely seeing mpg numbers that I haven't seen since putting on the 28lb 18 inch wheels.

TMccord12

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6M
I have a service appointment tomorrow for the Phase 2 fix. I called the dealer to confirm that they would have a loaner vehicle available tomorrow. They said they wouldn't and didn't really offer any solutions.

I thought a stipulation of the Phase 2 recall was that the dealer has to provide you with a loaner? Did anyone else have this happen?