Injection pump priming

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Good idea. That's the only thing left in the fuel system unique to #4 that hasn't been addressed.

Fliphish

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI Wagon
Clueless here

Stupid me. Exactly where should I be "cracking" the fuel injector.

A photo would help. Screwed up here. Changed out all my filters on my ALH and she started right up. Ran the engine for about 60 seconds ( should of been at least 10 to 15 minutes). Didn't know that.

Shut her down. Cleaned up. Got in the car to run errands and the dang engine won't start now. Turns over. Does not fire up. Guessing that I have an air lock in the fuel line. My mechanic said crack the injectors, start the engine and when the injectors start squirting, crank them tight and should be good to go.

Where do I crack the injectors. I see 3 possible options.

Please help. Thanks people.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Follow the four steel injector pipes from the Injector Pump over to each injector .... there, on top of each injector is a 17mm "line-nut" that holds them on the injector.

All you need to do is loosen each injector nut about a half turn (plus or minus a bit, and they are tight). Lay some paper towels over the injectors. Then crank the engine over about 15 to 30 seconds. Tighten the nuts ... attempt to start the engine. If no start... repeat!

Considering the engine ran for about 60 seconds, it's likely air is only in the Injection Pump and hard lines over to the injectors. But, after several attempts, as described above, if the engine doesn't start, you'll most likely have to purge the filter and IP of air... then attempt as described above.

After changing the fuel filter, I always start the engine and take the RPMs up to about 1800 for at least 1 minute .... that will purge all air. Been doing that since my first VW diesel back in 1980...never failed one time!

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Something I've not seen anybody talk about. The fuel will drain back to the tank through the fuel return line, if you don't clamp it off. I clamp both lines just behind the fuel filter to the tank. That way, the only leakage you get is out the pump through maybe one injector line, if the distributor shaft is lined up just right. If you have a line leaking, I don't remove the line from the pump, but lightly tighten the nut to keep it from leaking. I regularly do this when testing injectors I have just set.

Clamping the lines as I do eliminates having to prime the line to the tank, the fuel filter and the pump. Any evacuating you need to do will 'top off' the reservoir in the injection pump only, if it's even necessary.

Also, no matter what, if the return line to the tank is not clamped, you are drawing air off the top of the tank. You may get it done without clamping the fuel tank return line, but it will take you a lot longer.

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Follow the four steel injector pipes from the Injector Pump over to each injector .... there, on top of each injector is a 17mm "line-nut" that holds them on the injector.

All you need to do is loosen each injector nut about a half turn (plus or minus a bit, and they are tight). Lay some paper towels over the injectors. Then crank the engine over about 15 to 30 seconds. Tighten the nuts ... attempt to start the engine. If no start... repeat!

Considering the engine ran for about 60 seconds, it's likely air is only in the Injection Pump and hard lines over to the injectors. But, after several attempts, as described above, if the engine doesn't start, you'll most likely have to purge the filter and IP of air... then attempt as described above.

After changing the fuel filter, I always start the engine and take the RPMs up to about 1800 for at least 1 minute .... that will purge all air. Been doing that since my first VW diesel back in 1980...never failed one time!
The above is also good advice if you've run the tank dry, and now have fresh fuel in the tank (maybe from roadside assistance!)

Point is - carry that 17mm wrench, and make sure it will reach and turn the nuts.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
B100, long story short, I rolled off an exit in Southern Wisconsin in July, 2017 basically sucking air with the ALH in my Vanagon. I knew that the tank was low, very low on fuel. As I exited the expressway and made my way to the filling station, not one hint from the engine that anything was amiss.

I immediately pulled to the pump and shut the engine down. I filled the tank to the max. Then, I tried to start the engine to leave, no start... I knew it! I knew it! Turning corners sharply from the exit to the station caused air to be sucked into the fuel system.

It took me about 20 minutes to get it going ............. 17mm wrench and lots of paper towels as well as some fuel for priming the filter. I always carry a quart bottle of fuel (transmission oil bottle).

I've since installed an in-line fuel pump (flow-thru) that I can switch on when desired!

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Good point, a lift pump can be a real friend. When I ran dry, I added diesel from the tow truck, but the lines were dry and I did not have my injector line 17mmm wrench with me. Had to get towed the final mile and a half to home (see, I was certain I could make it, and almost did!)